The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.
So glad to see disaster averted by grocery delivery. Fantastic!

All has been mostly well here. Xmas & New Year hols meant almost 3 weeks at home - slaving away after the family, with a seemingly never ending stream of visitors.
As home is well outside the Sydney Covid restrictions ring we hosted NYE and lots of other BBQ’s and family days.

I’m back in Sydney for work now, though I’m off today & tomorrow due to Australia Day. I drove down last night to drop off a cousin back to his Mum after having him for 4 weeks to give her respite - he is a lot of work & we are happy to give her a much needed break. 52 years is a long time to care full time for a disabled “child”.

After dropping him off I suggested to my friend that we go straight to the beach for a swim. At 7pm it was gorgeous, warm with no risk of sunburn & watching the sun setting from 50m out from shore was glorious. A nice long walk along the sands before heading back to the unit.
Bliss.

It's in the 50s F here, and rainy... well, Dallas in January kind of rainy. More of a mist than rain.

Still on my battle with rats trying to make nests in my car engine compartment, I think I have about five traps set in the garage. Nothing yet, but is only a matter of time.

I just watched an educational video that I believe will prepare my mind for the task at hand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL_Gf4jdfc

CD

Thanks mjd & TastyReuben for the kind messages in the Coronavirus thread. But I am serious about taking a break so I am replying here , I will also avoid reading that thread for a few weeks.

Dear, the human mind isn't designed to take in 24/7 bad/horrible/awful/confusing news. We just aren't hard wired that way. I promise that you won't miss anything. With the internet, it will all be there for you to take in at your pace when you are ready (or never ready). Take care of you (something I am just NOW learning myself). The rest is secondary.

Hugs (if hugs are okay).

Yes, hugs are always welcome :hug:

I agree that too much (negative) information can become overwhelming. I used to not watch the news frequently because of the reasons you stated, I just started doing it due to Corona figuring being up to date would be important. But I can be up to date just by listening to my partner and friends, so I am choosing to do that. Like you, I am way too affected by bad news stories and it makes me feel negative about lots of things. Not worth it.

MrsT would obsess over the news. She'd start with her favorite news source, then onto the next, then the next, until she'd cycled through the lot...then back to the beginning again.

Yeah I was starting to do that, just not all day like MrsT but I was thinking about it almost all day which is bad enough. So realising that, I am off the wire again.

Got much better things to do, like talking cooking with all of you here :love:

Hello all.
<snip>
All has been mostly well here. Xmas & New Year hols meant almost 3 weeks at home - slaving away after the family, with a seemingly never ending stream of visitors.
As home is well outside the Sydney Covid restrictions ring we hosted NYE and lots of other BBQ’s and family days.
Glad to see you are ok and hear that you are outside of that outbreak.

That outbreak even affected our travel 200km away and a hour from the ACT border. We had a border checkpoint on the Federal Highway at the ACT border for a while. Similar checkpoints were on Sutton Rd into Queanbeyan (/the back way into the airport) though there was nothing on the Kings Highway or from Queanbeyan into Canberra itself.

Portuguese presidential elections were yesterday, we got the same president for another term. The far right got a scary third place:(

Even scarier was the abstention: 60%. But I think they only count your vote if you take a photo of yourself voting and upload it to instagram :p:

Portuguese presidential elections were yesterday, we got the same president for another term. The far right got a scary third place:(

Even scarier was the abstention: 60%. But I think they only count your vote if you take a photo of yourself voting and upload it to instagram :p:

Voting rates in the US are low, which bothers me. People complain about our government, and you ask them if they voted, and they say no. At that point, I want to tell them to shut up. If you don't bother to vote, don't complain about the people who get elected.

Voting participation was at a near record low in 2016. It was a near record high in 2020.

CD

Voting here is mandatory (Australia), if you are an Australian citizen. So we've not yet voted because we're British on Australian Permanent Residency visas. We've in the process of applying for citizenship. After that we'll have the fun of voting. It's not a case of a cross in the box for the party you want though. You actually have to rank each individual person in the vote, so if there are 2 candidates for the same group you rank them each, as I understand it... I could be wrong though about the last bit, but you have to rank them in order if 10 or 11 I think... but I think NSW had or had a different system to other states.

Here's a practice voting system that marks you by the Australian electorate committee.

Practise voting - Senate

Don't forget tomorrow is..................

All things great and small finally made it to the US TV.
Wife loves it but has a hard time understanding the Scottish Accents and slang.
"Been awhile since I had the stripes" means I was in the military.
I think with time wifie will understand and get through the Scottish brogue.

Last edited:
"Been awhile since I wore stripes" means I was in the military.
We're watching both the original and the remake. It's a little disorienting at times.

Good you mention that. The story does get off balance.
I've not read the books, so I'm wondering at times which version is closer to the tone of the books, and which one is a closer representation of the books.

ETA: Never mind, just found this blurb on the 2020 series:

"Significant changes were made from the source material (both the previous television series and the memoir), such as Siegfried Farnon being a heartbroken widower and a dramatically increased role for Mrs. Hall, who has been reimagined as a young, live-in housekeeper."

"Been awhile since I had the stripes" means I was in the military.
Mate do you mean
Yorkshire Dales

All Creatures Great and Small is set in the glorious Yorkshire Dales. It filmed across a range of locations in Yorkshire, including the beautiful and historic market town of Grassington, which plays a central role in the drama as 'Darrowby' Village.

Mate do you mean
Yorkshire Dales

All Creatures Great and Small is set in the glorious Yorkshire Dales. It filmed across a range of locations in Yorkshire, including the beautiful and historic market town of Grassington, which plays a central role in the drama as 'Darrowby' Village.

I have no problem understanding the accent!

I worked very close to Grassington in the 70s. That's where I bought my "Poor Bens".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom