The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected, I think. He had a long and privileged life. Now the TV here is going to plastered with tributes and documentaries eulogising him. Think I'll stick to Food Network for the next few days!

As many will know, I'm no Royalist.
Yep, it was supposed to be the final of Masterchef tonight, that's gone to make room for gushing sycophancy on an endless loop.

When we went to Koh Lanta we got up on the first morning of our holiday, walked out of our villa to go to breakfast, and a full grown monitor just ambled past us on the hotel path like the company dog. We never saw it again, what a beautiful animal.
Also for my 50th birthday we went to Borneo and started at a nice 5 star island hotel. On my birthday itself we had a private meal on the beach with our own waiter. Not included in the price were the free wild pig and monitor who sat nearby waiting for us to throw fruit and veg from our table toward them. The waiter made to chase them off but I asked them to leave them be as we were enjoying their company.

AT&T Stadium hosts the NFL team Dallas Cowboys. It is safe, and plenty of food and beverages (including beer and wine) is available to purchase. I have not been inside. To go to an NFL (American) football game, with tickets food and some beer costs over $100 per person. The cost, and the fact that I am not a Cowboys fan, means I won't be going there.

My city of Frisco's school district owns a 12,000 seat indoor (American) football stadium that also hosts concerts.

CD
Of course! Why would you go if that is the case...I will not be going to Celine's concert either, have zero desire to be in a huge space which is over-the-comfort-level loud and flashing etc, plus certainly expensive. I can enjoy her songs by listening to them, that works for me.
12.000 ist still huge, good!

Yep, it was supposed to be the final of Masterchef tonight, that's gone to make room for gushing sycophancy on an endless loop.
To continue my moaning, for the rest of today BBC 1, BBC2, and BBC News are all showing exactly the same endless feed about Philip. BBC 4 has been suspended for the day. All the national BBC radio channels are playing the same special programme about him, and there main commercial TV channels are doing similar.
They are completely missing the mood of a large part of the population, the reaction in the office today when the news broke was universally - How sad, he was 99 and it was expected, let's get on with what we were doing.

When are the hairdressers reopening

To continue my moaning, for the rest of today BBC 1, BBC2, and BBC News are all showing exactly the same endless feed about Philip. BBC 4 has been suspended for the day. All the national BBC radio channels are playing the same special programme about him, and there main commercial TV channels are doing similar.
They are completely missing the mood of a large part of the population, the reaction in the office today when the news broke was universally - How sad, he was 99 and it was expected, let's get on with what we were doing.
Give them a break, they probably put these programmes together 20 years ago :laugh:

Its ridiculous! There are no regular channels which are normal. And the same programme simply being repeated. One would think that given there are 2 x BBC TV channels, one of them might be given respite. I'm resisting the urge to become vitriolic about his racist remarks over the years...

I dread to think what will happen when the Queen pops her clogs.

If anyone is into conspiracy theories, there's a new one linking the Royal Family to the Ninth Circle Satanic Cult whatever that it is. This may explain why they live so long though.

Its ridiculous! There are no regular channels which are normal. And the same programme simply being repeated. One would think that given there are 2 x BBC TV channels, one of them might be given respite. I'm resisting the urge to become vitriolic about his racist remarks over the years...

I dread to think what will happen when the Queen pops her clogs.
The Queen I accept will be a major event, not just as a person, but it is a change of head of state and there will be a lot of ceremonial and constitutional events that will be interesting to follow given that most of us in the UK have never seen the process take place.

As regards today, Forest Friends caught my response. Hidden as it includes a swear word.

Give them a break, they probably put these programmes together 20 years ago :laugh:
They do, there is a whole obituary department at the BBC that keep updated film reels for all the Royals, senior politicians and senior media people. The BBC regularly train their news presenters and crew in delivering news of the Queen's death as it is something they can't afford to screw up.

In the 1990s the death of the Queen Mother was falsely reported when somebody heard part of the training and misinterpreted it.

Editor Fired for Mistaken Report of Queen Mother's Death

Had a letter from the Government yesterday, apparently dad paid too much tax so they sent me a cheque-it was unexpected-if they hadn't notified me then I would not have known, ok it isn't much but still...

I got an e mail from a friend I drove for a year ago, saying I hadn't been paid holiday pay. Is my bank account the same. E mail back, yes.
Next day few hundred in my account..
Result.

Russ

The BBC has had so many complaints that they have had to create a special page for them...

BBC sets up complaints line for 'too much TV coverage' of Prince Philip's death

Last edited:
Former portuguese prime-minister José Sócrates received around 34Millions in "loans" from a "good friend" while he as in office. And to think I have friends who never even paid me a beer...

The "loans" were actually bribes, but he doesn't have to pay tax on them because you don't need to pay tax on money on you receive as bribes.

Most of his other corruption and tax evasion crimes have prescribed so he will not stand trial for them. And this is happening at a time where people are being fined for eating gummy bears on the street or having lunch inside their car...

I love many things about Portugal but our law system isn't one of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom