The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful lake scenes today, not far away from my flat.

Coffee with a view💙. Kid had ice cream and fresh lemon lemonade.

Lovely walk in the sun.

My brother just got his spit test back from the ancestry folks. It breaks down as:

39% Scotland
28% England & NW Europe
21% Wales
5% Native America
3% Ireland
2% Norway
2% Sweden

They should have just said 100% mutt! :laugh:

Astonishing to how they can test that! How is that even possible?
It isn't, these tests have been debunked many times, although they might identify say North European against South European and seperate out the wide range of Asian variances there is no way to break then down to individual countries, DNA doesn't work like that.

BBC One - Watchdog - DNA Ancestry Kits

You are just wasting your money, and many people do.

It isn't, these tests have been debunked many times, although they might identify say North European against South European and seperate out the wide range of Asian variances there is no way to break then down to individual countries, DNA doesn't work like that.

Family friend took the test. Got the results back stating she was mostly of Scottish origins which was surprising to her as she was raised to believe her family came from Germany. Anyway, six months later, she received a letter from DNA testing site “oops, there was an error with your testing and your results were not accurate”. Still waiting to hear “accurate” results.

Family friend took the test. Got the results back stating she was mostly of Scottish origins which was surprising to her as she was raised to believe her family came from Germany. Anyway, six months later, she received a letter from DNA testing site “oops, there was an error with your testing and your results were not accurate”. Still waiting to hear “accurate” results.
MrsT is very much into this and has her tree worked out in Ancestry, and she gets revisions to her percentage breakdown occasionally, because it's always being compared to what other members are contributing. The percentages are based on what other people on that site have loaded, not off something that contained directly in the DNA of someone.

MrsT is very much into this and has her tree worked out in Ancestry, and she gets revisions to her percentage breakdown occasionally, because it's always being compared to what other members are contributing. The percentages are based on what other people on that site have loaded, not off something that contained directly in the DNA of someone.
I have read a few instances of where those sites also have helped solve cold case files.. not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, if true then I guess it serves a purpose other than the original intention. . On the other hand, not sure I want more of my personal information out there floating around in cyber land. Working in the IT field, I am aware there is already a ton of our personal info available online but, giving my DNA to a stranger / for profit company, it just has a more “no way that is going to happen” affect on me and I am not sure why.

I have read a few instances of where those sites also have helped solve cold case files.. not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, if true then I guess it serves a purpose other than the original intention. . On the other hand, not sure I want more of my personal information out there floating around in cyber land. Working in the IT field, I am aware there is already a ton of our personal info available online but, giving my DNA to a stranger / for profit company, it just has a more “no way that is going to happen” affect on me and I am not sure why.
I also work in IT, and I probably have a more cynical view of privacy...meaning that ship sailed a while ago.

I'm sure my employer has access to my blood test results, because they pay an incentive to employees to submit blood samples for testing through a company-contracted lab, and when you start talking money, people listen pretty quickly.

Similarly, one thing I haven't done...my company recommends (strongly, almost forcibly) that employees supply their own device if they want access to company emails, calendars, and other things behind the firewall. The trade-off is that you have to pretty much turn your device over to your company - they can load and remove software from your device at will, they can monitor everything on your device...you even have to get approval to travel with your device outside of the country.

I get the concern for safety of company information, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $1K for a phone, only to have to ask permission to take it on vacation or to load a "Buxom Beauties Bouncing" app on it! :laugh:

I thought it would not be possible! Does not make too much sense, to me, it does not.
Thank you

I thought it would not be possible! Does not make too much sense, to me, it does not.
Thank you
There's nothing in your DNA that says Scottish or Croatian or whatever else, but they compare it to other DNA samples with better-known country origins, so it's more like, "Your DNA has markers that match these three million members' DNA samples, and of those, two million can be traced back to Germany, through the ancestry maps they have here, so...you're likely to have some German heritage."

It's not complete voodoo, but a lot of people just want the easy answer: "Send us your spit, wait a month, and...Congratulations!...you're Danish!" :laugh:

There's nothing in your DNA that says Scottish or Croatian or whatever else, but they compare it to other DNA samples with better-known country origins, so it's more like, "Your DNA has markers that match these three million members' DNA samples, and of those, two million can be traced back to Germany, through the ancestry maps they have here, so...you're likely to have some German heritage."

It's not complete voodoo, but a lot of people just want the easy answer: "Send us your spit, wait a month, and...Congratulations!...you're Danish!" :laugh:
Oh ok, so it is more of a fun activity😁
I am pretty sure I am Martian.😎✨✨

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom