The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SatNavSaysStraightOn hasn't been here for a while, hope her legs are better?

Russ
Thanks for asking Russ.
I'm ok. I'm only allowed to walk 50m or do and only with crutches. My physio has told me that he'd rather I didn't walk at all in the house without crutches (I was walking inside doing 10 laps every couple of hours, but on my physio appointment last week, I was the worst he has seen me). He'd actually prefer me to walk outside (wrapped up against the cold, it's been down to -5°C here which with no heating at all (the stove is out of action right now) had been very cold) using my crutches even whilst my hubby is away from home, than me walk around inside the house. But I can't manage much yet. I've been told I can be 100% weight bearing come the end of this month. But my hip had deteriorated so much that my physio doesn't think this is possible.

So I've literally just started doing little things again around the house. 1 thing a day is the aim, so hanging the washing out (hubby to get it in) that sort of thing. I'm still not yet cooking but want to try because hubby doesn't manage non-traditional foods particularly well, so I've planned one of our favourite soups this week, one that is packed with herbs (3 or 4 full bunches of them) along with loads of different lentils, pulses, as well as wheat berries and a few other things that I know he can't adapt the recipe to our taste and to what is in season.

I do call by (on CB) but haven't really been posting in the public areas. I've been fling a little of the admin and site upgrades behind the scenes. Working out what needs paying for next, that kind of thing (medtran49 thank you ever so much). Just hiding I guess. I've gotten pretty reclusive these last 4 months or so, gone back to my old habits to survive I guess....

On the up side, we both finally have our vaccinations booked. Mine was looking daunting to get to work my way through the system because aussie healthcare advice changed 2 days after my dr put me on the 1B list and that change affected me, but my dr didn't think it did (and still doesn't but I think I know what she had failed to take into account but I haven't had chance to talk to her a 3rd time since then). The change was who was eligible for which vaccine. Australia only had the 2 brands. AZ is the preferred brand because of the storage issues relating to the Pfizer brand (-70°C compared to normal refrigeration/freezer). By default unless you were frontline everyone was to get the AZ vaccine but doctors surgeries are only getting 50 vaccines a week at the moment due to shortages etc. Then regs changed. The under 50's are to be given the Pfizer vaccine not the AstraZeneca vaccine due to the (minute) blood clot risk. But the Pfizer vaccine is not being issued to doctors surgeries! There are a number of regional mass vaccination venues being set up. The nearest one to me in NSW is roughly 250km away! So I needed to change state/territory to get to use the one that is only 60km away.... and that meant registering with the territory health care online. It has worked for me but not for my husband. But the online questionnaire for booking the vaccination at our doctors surgery worked for him (it rejected me). So he has to wait more than 2½ months (end of July) to get his 1st AZ vaccine whilst I can get mine just as soon as I can actually get to the vaccination centre (I literally could book a time less than 10 minutes away if I had been standing outside the centre ready to 'walk' in). I'm under 50, so Aussie healthcare regs are that I should get the Pfizer vaccine.

Yeah and unfortunately I've 1 medical profession wanting me to stop reducing my lyrica dose due to this fall and the issues with the osteoarthritis in my hip and the healthcare professional who authorises both the lyrica and my morphine (organic oral and synthetic time release tablets) wanting me to reduce the lyrica and my poor doctor and I stuck in the middle setting the consequences of that.

So we have just had to buy a new recumbent exercise bike. The old one that we paid $40 for is uncomfortable and not adjustable with any ease (it's designed for 1 person basically). This new one was delivered yesterday. The delivery driver kindly brought it into the house for me (they are still not meant to enter homes despite they're being practically no cases in the community in Australia! ) but he was exceptionally concerned that I might try to move the box (90kg!) myself! I had to almost promise him I wouldn't he was that concerned. The new one (33% off) was $999 which is cheaper than 2 x 1 year gym membership fees not even factoring in petrol. (Gym fees with swimming pool are around $700-800 per adult per year). My existing iFit membership will work on both the treadmill and this new exercise bike. We spent a morning trying new bikes last weekend and decided on the design we wanted for the seat. Luckily the make of our treadmill (Nordic) their recruitment exercise bike has the same style seat so we're took a game and bought the one online for $200 less (we have used the online company previously so know them). The $200 saved (free shipping and it was fast, ordered on Sunday, shipped Monday, delivered Thursday which is very fast in Australia) will cover another year if iFit membership enough is basically online coaching via video lessons. On the treadmill it can change both gradient and speed for you, I don't know for the bike but I guess resistance will be changed!

Right time for lunch. It's almost midday

Thanks for asking Russ.
I'm ok. I'm only allowed to walk 50m or do and only with crutches. My physio has told me that he'd rather I didn't walk at all in the house without crutches (I was walking inside doing 10 laps every couple of hours, but on my physio appointment last week, I was the worst he has seen me). He'd actually prefer me to walk outside (wrapped up against the cold, it's been down to -5°C here which with no heating at all (the stove is out of action right now) had been very cold) using my crutches even whilst my hubby is away from home, than me walk around inside the house. But I can't manage much yet. I've been told I can be 100% weight bearing come the end of this month. But my hip had deteriorated so much that my physio doesn't think this is possible.

So I've literally just started doing little things again around the house. 1 thing a day is the aim, so hanging the washing out (hubby to get it in) that sort of thing. I'm still not yet cooking but want to try because hubby doesn't manage non-traditional foods particularly well, so I've planned one of our favourite soups this week, one that is packed with herbs (3 or 4 full bunches of them) along with loads of different lentils, pulses, as well as wheat berries and a few other things that I know he can't adapt the recipe to our taste and to what is in season.

I do call by (on CB) but haven't really been posting in the public areas. I've been fling a little of the admin and site upgrades behind the scenes. Working out what needs paying for next, that kind of thing (medtran49 thank you ever so much). Just hiding I guess. I've gotten pretty reclusive these last 4 months or so, gone back to my old habits to survive I guess....

On the up side, we both finally have our vaccinations booked. Mine was looking daunting to get to work my way through the system because aussie healthcare advice changed 2 days after my dr put me on the 1B list and that change affected me, but my dr didn't think it did (and still doesn't but I think I know what she had failed to take into account but I haven't had chance to talk to her a 3rd time since then). The change was who was eligible for which vaccine. Australia only had the 2 brands. AZ is the preferred brand because of the storage issues relating to the Pfizer brand (-70°C compared to normal refrigeration/freezer). By default unless you were frontline everyone was to get the AZ vaccine but doctors surgeries are only getting 50 vaccines a week at the moment due to shortages etc. Then regs changed. The under 50's are to be given the Pfizer vaccine not the AstraZeneca vaccine due to the (minute) blood clot risk. But the Pfizer vaccine is not being issued to doctors surgeries! There are a number of regional mass vaccination venues being set up. The nearest one to me in NSW is roughly 250km away! So I needed to change state/territory to get to use the one that is only 60km away.... and that meant registering with the territory health care online. It has worked for me but not for my husband. But the online questionnaire for booking the vaccination at our doctors surgery worked for him (it rejected me). So he has to wait more than 2½ months (end of July) to get his 1st AZ vaccine whilst I can get mine just as soon as I can actually get to the vaccination centre (I literally could book a time less than 10 minutes away if I had been standing outside the centre ready to 'walk' in). I'm under 50, so Aussie healthcare regs are that I should get the Pfizer vaccine.

So sorry not much progress then? I watch sky Australia in the morning and watch the news over there. You guys are at 25% vaccinated as of yesterday, we are way behind you guys. I'm not worried and will wait, I'm not gunna take az but the others I'm ok with.
Here we have assisted help for people that are laid up, can you not get anything like that? I suppose your location prevents that?

Chin up girl, that's what my nan used to say to us.
Thinking of you.

Russ

If I may ask it here...how does the donation process work? I've tried to donate a few times in the past, and it would give the option of paying via credit card or PayPal, and I'd choose credit card, because I don't have a PP account, but when it got to the last screen, to actually authorize the payment, it would say I had to have a PP account to continue.

I last tried it a year or so ago, maybe...well, before the pandemic. I wouldn't mind donating, but I can't seem to get past that hurdle.

If I may ask it here...how does the donation process work? I've tried to donate a few times in the past, and it would give the option of paying via credit card or PayPal, and I'd choose credit card, because I don't have a PP account, but when it got to the last screen, to actually authorize the payment, it would say I had to have a PP account to continue.

I last tried it a year or so ago, maybe...well, before the pandemic. I wouldn't mind donating, but I can't seem to get past that hurdle.

I used my PayPal account. I've had 1 for years and years, and have never had a problem. I use it to pay on EBay, Etsy and things like CB, rather than use my CC for EBay and Etsy purchases.

I don't use PayPal and it seems to work with my debit card... maybe SatNavSaysStraightOn can comment.

Oh, she may have it set up to only accept PayPal or cash (debit card or direct bank transfer) payments. IF it's set up to use CCs, you have to have what PP considers a commercial account and you have to pay a certain percenatge on ANY transaction, even if it's cash or PP. I know this because mine is set up as a commercial account since we used to accept CC payments as deposits or payment plans when we were breeding snakes.

ETA, just saw Morning Glory 's post. Guess they changed terms from when I set up many years ago.

Splendid! That is all good news!
Except for the prolongation Till October...but for 2-3 months, you will make it, no issue.
Two years since you last visited Spain?
Aaah, that is long! Was it mainly due to pandemic or also work?

The reason for no travelling is mainly the pandemic restrictions. UK government hasn't lifted the quarantine on return and I can't afford it. My job is on-site so I can't do it from home. On the other hand, every time I fly I have to do a bus journey, then airport, then plane... And so on. Too many places where you are in constant contact with loads of people.

A different thing has been the administration of the Spanish government before the vaccination roll-out. You can be there as if nothing is happening and on the following morning they would close borders, towns and impose a curfew.

Not worth to take the risk to be honest.

The reason for no travelling is mainly the pandemic restrictions. UK government hasn't lifted the quarantine on return and I can't afford it. My job is on-site so I can't do it from home. On the other hand, every time I fly I have to do a bus journey, then airport, then plane... And so on. Too many places where you are in constant contact with loads of people.

A different thing has been the administration of the Spanish government before the vaccination roll-out. You can be there as if nothing is happening and on the following morning they would close borders, towns and impose a curfew.

Not worth to take the risk to be honest.
Agree. Sounds reasonable to do what you did. October🍀👍

Thanks TastyReuben and Morning Glory

The donate system takes all PayPal options as far as I know. I don't get any options to configure it after saying PayPal. I do believe that it also takes a couple of other options as well, but I don't have know them/ have accounts with them, so have disabled them (Stripe, Braintree & 2Checkout).

PayPal takes roughly 9-15% of everything you donate (fees & foreign exchange rates) so I'm more than happy for anyone I know (active members for a year or so) to donate via bank transfer if they want to. This probably only really works for anyone in either the UK or Australia.

I let PayPal keep all money in the currency it is donated in because I don't lose out in exchange rates that way. I have a large number of add-ons, and the forum software itself that are charged in US$ because the companies are based in the US. There are a few that are based in the UK, so i can easily use UK£ without being charged exchange rates and 1 that is in EU€, so again I can avoid exchange rates. That's the beauty of PayPal. But the fees that PayPal charge are huge.
For example, the 2 US$ donations recently of the $25 donated, the site received $23.17 and of the UK£15 donated, the site received £14.26. That's roughly 8½% fees at present. It is much worse when foreign exchange rates are used, hence why I reluctantly now keep all US$ and € in PayPal, but transfer anything else out to my (dedicated CB) UK bank amount.

Sadly the one thing that this particular donate software doesn't allow for us reoccurring donations. If there were sufficient interest I could consider changing the software used, but would most likely lose the history of what and who has donated.

If you do want to donate by bank transfer, just contact me via PM and I'll send you the details. I can still add this to the donation drive log so it will show as a donation (either against your name or anonymously). I've got life setup so that I know know of any transaction into the UK bank account used for CB, so won't miss any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom