The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's excitement was that the boyfriend took his car to the automatic car wash and I got to stay inside the car while the machine did its things, just like I did when I was a child and dad took the car to be washed 😍

Last edited:
Today's excitement was that the boyfriend took his car to the automatuc car wash and I got to stat inside the car while the machine did its things, just like I did when I was a child and dad took the car to be washed 😍
When I was a kid, there was just the one automatic car wash, it the big town about 40 minutes away, and one day, as a surprise, my mom drove the car through, so we could see how the rich people lived. :laugh:

Yep, that's what passed for entertainment in southwestern Ohio in 1972.

Meanwhile, just learned there's a city in New Mexico called Truth or Consequences :laugh:
Screenshot_20210711_160207_com.flightradar24free.jpg

Went out for a short walk to stretch my legs after breakfast and got waylaid by a nice older woman. Believe me when I tell you the conversation went exactly like this:

Lady: Boy, it sure is a pretty day! How many times did you go around the pond?

Me: Yes, very nice out. Good morning! Just the one time around, stretching my-

Lady: Just like my cat! He's over there. Now, you can't pet him, he's got a good side and an evil side and that evil side he'll just scratch the devil out of you every morning my husband says "kitty kitty" and reaches down and comes back with a bloody arm he never learns of course he's blind in one eye and some days, he'll say "Leslie," that's me, Leslie, he'll say, "Leslie, my eye's doing good today, let's go on down to the Cracker Barrel," and I think, "Oh boy!" and I get my good clothes on, not these old things, these are just for walking around in, and I get all ready and then he says, "I'm sorry, it's clouding over," and then we can't go, of course, but that's ok because I was a crossing guard for years and years that's why I still wear this orange cap and these orange shoes because they could see me, you know, and nowadays it's all cell phones and they'll run you right down that's why I always make sure my cat gets across the street because they have a little fountain over there he likes to drink from and they even put a little food out for him in a little plastic tray, 'cause of course they're not aluminum any more like in my day you can't put that in the microwave you know.

Me: I know. Well, my wife-

Lady: Oh, yeah, I know how us wives are! We gotta keep and eye on you fellas. Of course, when I was first married, we didn't say a whole lot, but nowadays, the wives run the show, don't they? That's ok, it all evens out, I guess, and my friend, she's a nurse, so she know all about this Covid, of course, and she won't hardly come outta her house and I tell her, "Jan, you've got to see people, you've got to talk and visit," so I did finally get her to go down to the Tuck Senior Center, you know, just over there, for exercises we do and it's so spaced out like a chair here and a chair there and so on but she gets there last and leaves first so she don't have to squeeze through the door with everyone, but at least she's getting out.

Me: That's good. Look, I've-

Lady: She usually takes me for my groceries, you know, and she'll say, "Leslie, do you want an apple fritter today?" You know, an apple fritter is like a doughnut kind of thing and I'll say, "What, am I drooling?" and she'll just laugh and say...

Not the result I wanted, ah well.

Russ
It was a hell of a match, though. I like how it was officiated, too: they let the players play, and reserved bookings for dangerous plays (which, no surprise, the Azzurri were guilty of most often). The result was in doubt until the very end, which is how we always want the championship matches to be.

It was a hell of a match, though. I like how it was officiated, too: they let the players play, and reserved bookings for dangerous plays (which, no surprise, the Azzurri were guilty of most often). The result was in doubt until the very end, which is how we always want the championship matches to be.

Shame it had to come to a shootout. The game was so intense,

Russ

🇮🇹 Wow, Italy won both the Eurovision Song Contest and the UEFA Football Championship this year. Congratulations, Italy! (A small compensation for being hit so badly by Covid). I'm sorry for the supporters of England and the home crowd at Wembley, though - and the three rookies who missed their shots. Like TLNG, I liked the way in which the game was judged. The Dutch referee did his job well. I quite enjoyed watching (almost) daily soccer despite all the corruption (Qatar->France etc....), greed, paychecks and transfer sums in the background. I also enjoy cooking despite Cargill, Nestle and likes. If you're cynical or negative (like someone in some late post), food is a necessity, cooking isn't. Moving around and getting mental, social, sensory and emotional stimuli e.g through watching football/soccer are "human necessities" and a huge source of happiness and pleasure just like purchasing quality groceries, cooking them with care and setting them nicely on the table. Why not focus on refreshing and invigorating aspects instead of digging the dirt. What goes around, comes around. Crowds may be manouvered - but only to a certain point. Most people are (at least partially) to their senses and "vote with their feet" (like in the European Soccer League case).

I'm off to town to get my 2nd Covid shot today. A good day to leave the countryside: the electricity guys are currently clearing the woods and repairing the nearby poles that fell during the late thunderstorm. The excavation work started at 7:15 am. <Clomp clomp, clomp, RUMBLE, DRRRRRR>

I saw the same culpability on both sides and as often happens to the teams which play hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom