The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took a bit, but I had my "Florida Moment:"

A man in nothing but tighty-whities and unlaced boots rode by on a kids' BMX bike, pulling a shopping cart like a trailer, "playing" the guitar and "singing." 🤷🏻‍♂️

You do you, my friend, you do you. :okay:
Hope you're having better weather in Central Florida than we are here in South Florida. It feels like a tropical storm with all the rain we've been having lately!

Hope you're having better weather in Central Florida than we are here in South Florida. It feels like a tropical storm with all the rain we've been having lately!
It's ok. It's doing the typical Florida thing of being 90F, then raining for 15 minutes, then somehow managing to get even hotter. I think my flesh has been getting lightly steamed over the last few days.

I am back again after a while!

Congratulations to MypinchofItaly for the Italian victory in the Euro yesterday. It is deserved as Italy played much better than England (sadly for me though).

About yesterday's game, I am just gonna add that Donnarumma has become my new favourite player. He saved the crucial penalty and his reaction was the same as me when I end my shift at the hospital at 4.00 pm. As if he wins a major tournament every weekend :hyper:

Congratulations to @MypinchofItaly for the Italian victory in the Euro yesterday

For a moment I thought “oh, but I didn’t play the game” :laugh:

Thank you Tasteofspain_uk, you can image the happiness over here. Let me say that England played very well, they gave us the hardest time, excellent players! Chapeau

For a moment I thought “oh, but I didn’t play the game” :laugh:

Thank you Tasteofspain_uk, you can image the happiness over here. Let me say that England played very well, they gave us the hardest time, excellent players! Chapeau

England was quite disappointing, to be fair. They shouldn't step back after taking the lead. The squad was full of young players that could continue attacking all over the game without paying a physical toll. And Italy demonstrated once again that their footballers are made for these type of occasions.

I am sure if Spain had played the final it would have been much different. But, overall, we didn't deserve it.

England was quite disappointing, to be fair. They shouldn't step back after taking the lead. The squad was full of young players that could continue attacking all over the game without paying a physical toll. And Italy demonstrated once again that their footballers are made for these type of occasions.

I am sure if Spain had played the final it would have been much different. But, overall, we didn't deserve it.

I disagree, England did such a great gol only after few mins the game started - well ok, our breath stopped for long after that and we got that it would have been quite hard to play vs England. Both teams played tough and with lot of penalties - ok it’s UEFA, not a ballet.
Donnarumma is our new myth. I personally have mine who is Chiesa.
However, what disappointed me has been whistling our national anthem (whistling national anthems in general is horrible) and the racist comments to some of England players. Shame.

It's ok. It's doing the typical Florida thing of being 90F, then raining for 15 minutes, then somehow managing to get even hotter. I think my flesh has been getting lightly steamed over the last few days.

And you are thinking of retiring there? Just saying....

I agree. The Italy v. Spain game was first class football. Not so last night's game.

Yep! It's like clockwork every afternoon. Twenty minutes of heavy rain, followed by more heat and 99-percent humidity.

CD

The neighbor who lives across the hall called at my house again yesterday. It's the second or third time she has called me to say I need to call on her often because she feels very lonely. I really don't like this woman and I keep contact with her to a bare minimum. She complains about other neighbors for things like they walking in slippers in their home at 2AM or being awake too late, woke me up at 3AM because she was at her door yelling to the neighbor upstairs, leaves her trash bag on the hall of the building, has the TV so loud I listen to her soap opera every night, and I have a hunch she probably complains about me to the other neighbors' because that seems to be her style. She asked one of the neighbors to put a sign on the building saying it's mandatory to wear a mask inside, but she called on me not wearing a mask. I shrug it off because she's old, and her son works for the city council that manages this building. She's probably in her 60s, lives alone autonomously, seems fairly healthy, and is capable enough to cover her entire face in colorful makeup every time she goes out. She's lived in this area for 40 years, yet doesn't seem to have a friend whom she could call and meet for a walk outside, which makes me suspect she's not a likeable person. Her son lives nearby, but I think he only visits once or twice per week. She's not a fragile old lady abandoned in her house and I honestly don't feel a moral obligation to check on her.

I did knock on her door for a chat a while ago, she didn't return the favor for a long time so I thought we were good. I could check on her more often, but I have a gut feeling that will turn into her knocking on my door more frequently. I love spending time alone and I plan my weeks around quality alone time. I hate having people show up at my house unannounced, and this is non negotiable. I spend more time alone than most people I know, and I love it. I see a couple people every week, I have people I can call or message anytime and make plans with, being alone and knowing I can have company if I want is all I need to not feel lonely. And I do not understand how this woman would enjoy the company of someone who clearly shows no interest in spending time with her, because to me there's no company without connection. I have a very sociable job and whenever I felt lonely, superficial work interactions with people who have no genuine interest in me didn't make me less lonely.

This is something I have often wondered, how to navigate loneliness in old age. Some people seem like they want to rely on their children's company forever. But parents and children will always be in a different plane, it'll always be an imbalanced power relationship. Most people I know don't genuinely enjoy spending time with their parents. I know some people who do, but they have social circles their parents' are not a part of, and when they start their own families they're more busy and have less time available for the parents. Will I still enjoy being alone when I'm old? (I hope I do, that'll make my life much easier!). If I do have children, will I be so silly that I drop my entire social life for the sake of the children, and then expect my adult children to keep me company everyday when I'm old? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom