The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been that way for days here. I've never known such a wet summer.

Get used to extremes in weather. The latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) finally says, definitively, that the weather extremes happening lately are directly linked to global warming, caused by human made greenhouse gasses.

Fires, floods, freezes -- weird weather is the new norm.

CD

I´m new on here and I want to post (a) a little more information about me and (b) an avatar. For the life of me, I can´t work out how to do this. Can anyone help, please?

One of the Mods will help you find the answers you need.

CD

I gave to my mom a teapot I bought several years ago in London from Emma Bridgewater shop, I had another one alike but it has been broken during a moving (yes, I cried) thus as soon as I’ll meet my parents I’ll take a pic of it. It’s colourful, green-colour base. Mine was orange-colour. I miss it ☹️
Now I have a total white one which I bought somewhere in Milano. I’ll take a photo of it later

I should reconsider my concept of “as soon as and later”. However, here it is the Emma Bridgewater teapot I bought in London for mom several years ago.

I´m new on here and I want to post (a) a little more information about me and (b) an avatar. For the life of me, I can´t work out how to do this. Can anyone help, please?
I know that one of the other moderators has replied to you but you will find the help section here How do I...?

and specifically the avatar information here. Adding/deleting your Avatar (picture)

and your personal information here How to Change Your Personal Details
Adding/changing/deleting your location

and if you can't find what you're looking for we have a dedicated area to post for support Site Support

It turns out that we get a few extra days of fun that we didn’t plan. We’ve twice had the airlines cancel our return flight. It seems that half the trip had been spent on the phone with Expedia. They have this great customer service policy where, if you’re on the phone for more than half an hour with them, they disconnect the call. This isn’t the official stated policy, but I swear this is what’s been happening. Today, I was disconnected 7 times already. They’re supposed to call back if this happens, but I’ve only seen them do that once.

Every so often, we win the “good agent” lottery, and we get someone who knows what they’re doing. We seem to have that at the moment. It sounds like we will have a return flight on the 14th…two days later than we planned, and just barely in time for our son’s graduation party on the 15th.

And here I thought the dangers in traveling in 2021 were related to COVID. It seems that the world has that much figured out: full vaccination required to travel, a negative COVID test required to return, masks and all the usual precautions along the way. I think COVID is playing a role in the cancellations, but the real danger seems to be bad customer service. This isn’t an artifact of 2021; this is timeless.

500E61CD-582E-45A7-BC86-A1F85A1D836E.jpeg

Completely random thought in the wake of team USA’s win in the Gold Cup final last week. I wondered what on earth Qatar were doing in the tournament, which is always played between countries in North and Central America and the Caribbean. I forgot that it’s not unusual to invite the county that hosts the upcoming World Cup to play.

My concern wasn’t that they might have won (Mexico are ranked 11th by FIFA, the USA are 20th, and Qatar are 58th). My concern was how teams could possibly survive playing in the desert with temperatures typically at least 100°F (38°C) when the tournament is played in June-July.

I was mad that money always seems to dictate what FIFA does (which I still believe), but I see that this time they have done something sensible. The tournament will be played in November-December 2022, when temperatures are more reasonable. The average maximum daytime temperature in Qatar in December lies around 24.5°C (76.1°F), so there won’t be any deaths from heat stroke. FIFA are still a money grubbing organization, but at least the football will still be good.

View attachment 69024

Completely random thought in the wake of team USA’s win in the Gold Cup final last week. I wondered what on earth Qatar were doing in the tournament, which is always played between countries in North and Central America and the Caribbean. I forgot that it’s not unusual to invite the county that hosts the upcoming World Cup to play.

My concern wasn’t that they might have won (Mexico are ranked 11th by FIFA, the USA are 20th, and Qatar are 58th). My concern was how teams could possibly survive playing in the desert with temperatures typically at least 100°F (38°C) when the tournament is played in June-July.

I was mad that money always seems to dictate what FIFA does (which I still believe), but I see that this time they have done something sensible. The tournament will be played in November-December 2022, when temperatures are more reasonable. The average maximum daytime temperature in Qatar in December lies around 24.5°C (76.1°F), so there won’t be any deaths from heat stroke. FIFA are still a money grubbing organization, but at least the football will still be good.
Fifa are one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet. The host country bribed their way to holding it, they used effective slave labour to build the facilities and many were killed in construction. They very begrudgingly accepted that women's football was a thing and set up a team - expect that to be disbanded when the tournament is over. Their record on women's rights and general human rights are appalling and everyone seems to be turning a blind eye as the backhanders keep arriving.

I saw this sign, and I chuckled until I looked more closely.

6F747FC6-FC44-4343-9DD5-1362C5B7A39A.jpeg

I assume what this really means is that there are businesses that try to steer you towards their establishment. I’m sure it happens for tourists without them realizing it. Are there signs like this in other major cities that I have just missed somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom