The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting there slowly.

Lots of cleaning up to do still. Mostly getting all the linen (bed sheets, quilt covers, pillow cases, towels, tea towels and so forth) clean and dry. Neither clean nor dry is proving easy. Some of the soot and 'rust' type marks (could be brick dust) are not coming off some of the bedding and towels.

What doesn't come clean on the next wash, I'll relegate to building/dust sheets and give to a friend. We're on a septic tank so can't use harsh chemicals and with no tumble drier getting things dry is a case of waiting until a fair day which in winter and a particularly wet one isn't proving easy.

As for the repairs to the kitchen cabinets and the stove where the surround was damaged when the stove was pulled out, that's our landlords responsibility. So that will be a wait and see job.

But with today out of the way now (we had our citizenship tests this morning) I can now concentrate on resting up, cooking and the repairs pile that has been mounting up.

We had to toss all the linens in the lake house, plus the mattresses, upholstered furniture, carpet, etc. Smoke gets into everything.

Make sure your landlord properly fixes that chimney, so this (or worse) doesn't happen again.

CD

Make sure your landlord properly fixes that chimney, so this (or worse) doesn't happen again
I think he knows how lucky they got. The fire service said I did everything correctly. Didn't wait too long and did more than just stand and watch it burn!

I've also asked for the trees to be cut bank that line track and for the current smoke detector that failed to sound to be replaced by 2 new ones. Fire Service said we ought to have 2, not one and given the one we have failed to go off despite being "serviced" professionally back in May this year (part of the rental agreement through the agency) (new battery and tested with smoke canister), I've requested that it is replaced full stop.

Thankfully being such a small community, every body knows everyone else and the main RFS guy actually knows our landlord personally.

One the bright side the chimney had been jet washed so it won't now need sweeping!

This is a first for me. I ordered two dresses from an online shop, one of the dress was delivered almost two weeks ago, the other was not. I contacted the seller and they emailed me a copy of the delivery note saying the dress was delivered to my house, received and signed by someone who was not me! I am one of the only four people who live in my apartment building and the person who signed the delivery doesn't live here. I have no idea who that person can be, and no idea where they can live since the package was signed at my address even though it was not delivered here. The seller say they forwarded the issue to the carrier which is a spanish company called Correos Express, which has terrible reviews on Trustpilot. They have lots of complaints and don't seem to do anything about them. I know it's not the seller's issue but I spent the money and I don't have the dress!

I'm left with no option but to spend the next weeks searching the streets, looking for the neighbor who could be wearing my dress. This was a 15€ dress bought at a super popular cheap store and probably lots of women bought it. They better not be walking around my neighborhood though :laugh:

I'm left with no option but to spend the next weeks searching the streets, looking for the neighbor who could be wearing my dress.
Something tells me I wouldn't want to be that neighbor once you find them. :laugh:

Seriously, I hope you get it straightened out. MrsT ordered some clothes recently from a reputable place, and it was sort of like that. She never got anything. Waited...waited...they processed the order...waited...nothing.

She finally called and they said it had been delivered, but they'd refund her, which they started working on, and she waited...and waited...and waited...and then clothing showed up, but only part of the order.

She called them back to get the finances straightened out, and I don't even know how it ended up, whether she eventually got everything or got some money back or what. :scratchhead:

This is a first for me. I ordered two dresses from an online shop, one of the dress was delivered almost two weeks ago, the other was not. I contacted the seller and they emailed me a copy of the delivery note saying the dress was delivered to my house, received and signed by someone who was not me! I am one of the only four people who live in my apartment building and the person who signed the delivery doesn't live here. I have no idea who that person can be, and no idea where they can live since the package was signed at my address even though it was not delivered here. The seller say they forwarded the issue to the carrier which is a spanish company called Correos Express, which has terrible reviews on Trustpilot. They have lots of complaints and don't seem to do anything about them. I know it's not the seller's issue but I spent the money and I don't have the dress!

I'm left with no option but to spend the next weeks searching the streets, looking for the neighbor who could be wearing my dress. This was a 15€ dress bought at a super popular cheap store and probably lots of women bought it. They better not be walking around my neighborhood though :laugh:

The seller chose that delivery company, and they had to have known about that company's bad rating. I think they, at least, owe you store credit toward another purchase.

CD

It's worth knowing the law in situations like this.

You'll have to check but usually it is this.

Your contact (of sale) is with the shop.
Their contact for delivery is between them and the delivery company.

So if you don't receive the goods they should be refunding the cost of the goods and delivery and they should then be pursuing the delivery company for their refund for failure to deliver (in this cast failure to deliver to the correct location or person).

But it is country specific so check.

That said I'm fighting to get a refund of postage to return part of an item that was incorrect. (It was a kit that was incomplete. There should have been a series of needle sizes in 2 lengths, so I should have had a pair of 2.25mm, 2.5mm, 2.75mm, 3.00mm & 3.25mm needles in both 2inch and 3 inch lengths. But I didn't get the 3.25mm in 2 inch. It was a duplicate of the 3.00mm in 2 inch. Eventually I managed to get a pair of 3.25mm needles in 2 inch sent out to me but it cost me $7.95 to return the duplicate 3.00mm pair of needles in 2 inch... I'm still chasing for my refund! Grrr won't be using that shop again.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat laughing today at my wife's expense.

After her mouth surgery, she had to wear a retainer over the roof of her mouth to protect the stitches and let some healing start.

A side effect of the retainer, oddly enough, is that it makes her voice hoarse and gives her a sore throat.

The dentist called today and told her she could stop wearing the retainer, except when she eats and when she sleeps. She said that would allow the stitches to start dissolving on their own.

"What about my sore throat? It really hurts."

"Warm liquids, maybe with honey, cold stuff if you like, and most importantly...limit your talking. You need to rest your vocal cords and your throat for a few days."

Has she been talking any less? Of course not, so all day, as soon as she starts talking, I wait for a pause and tell her, "You're supposed to stop talking. Stop talking." :laugh:

And it's not like she's saying anything important. She walked into the kitchen and said, "I'm getting some juice. I really feel like juice."

"Stop talking."

"These mashed potatoes are perfect!"

"Stop talking."

"It says here people who've been vaccinated and then get Covid sneeze a lot. That's interesting."

"Stop talking."

After that one, she grabbed her phone and texted me, "I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING!!!"

:laugh:

I have to admit that I'm somewhat laughing today at my wife's expense.

After her mouth surgery, she had to wear a retainer over the roof of her mouth to protect the stitches and let some healing start.

A side effect of the retainer, oddly enough, is that it makes her voice hoarse and gives her a sore throat.

The dentist called today and told her she could stop wearing the retainer, except when she eats and when she sleeps. She said that would allow the stitches to start dissolving on their own.

"What about my sore throat? It really hurts."

"Warm liquids, maybe with honey, cold stuff if you like, and most importantly...limit your talking. You need to rest your vocal cords and your throat for a few days."

Has she been talking any less? Of course not, so all day, as soon as she starts talking, I wait for a pause and tell her, "You're supposed to stop talking. Stop talking." :laugh:

And it's not like she's saying anything important. She walked into the kitchen and said, "I'm getting some juice. I really feel like juice."

"Stop talking."

"These mashed potatoes are perfect!"

"Stop talking."

"It says here people who've been vaccinated and then get Covid sneeze a lot. That's interesting."

"Stop talking."

After that one, she grabbed her phone and texted me, "I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING!!!"

:laugh:

Honey lemon and whiskey -- emphasis on whiskey. It will soothe her sore throat, and with enough of it, will shut her up.

CD

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my sister in Houston. They are looking at some places in a retirement community on Wednesday. It look like they are finally ready, at ages 89 and 87, to move out of their 4,000 square foot mini-mansion.

But, my sister goofed by telling my mom that I would like to buy my dad's Audi when he is done with it. Well, mom told dad, "Your son want's your car." Dad's response was not good. Now I look like a vulture trying to take away his car. :facepalm:

My sister said she would clear things up with him when she sees him tomorrow.

I've bought two of his previous cars, so he shouldn't be surprised. His cars have really low milage when he is done with them, and he gives me a sweet deal on them. This is going to be his last car, and my mom is nagging him to quit driving, so I guess he is sensitive about the issue.

CD

They are looking at some places in a retirement community on Wednesday. It look like they are finally ready, at ages 89 and 87, to move out of their 4,000 square foot mini-mansion.
Interesting, my folks are in the process of doing the same right now, moving out of their 5-bedroom home that they've lived in for the last 50 years and moving in town to a little (by which I mean 3 bed/2 bath) house in a senior complex.

It's a big change, but it needs to happen. The hardest part is my dad and his dementia. They'll drive over for him to see the house and get used to it, and he's all excited about it, like a little kid, and then when they drive back home, 15 minutes away, my brother will say, "That new house will be nice, won't it, Pap?"

And Dad will say, "What new house?"

Interesting, my folks are in the process of doing the same right now, moving out of their 5-bedroom home that they've lived in for the last 50 years and moving in town to a little (by which I mean 3 bed/2 bath) house in a senior complex.

It's a big change, but it needs to happen. The hardest part is my dad and his dementia. They'll drive over for him to see the house and get used to it, and he's all excited about it, like a little kid, and then when they drive back home, 15 minutes away, my brother will say, "That new house will be nice, won't it, Pap?"

And Dad will say, "What new house?"

It's a slow journey. My sister and I have never pushed them into doing anything. They finally are choosing to move. I just want my dad out of a two story house. My mom CAN'T go upstairs, but my dad can, but he's had three falls in the last year, on flat ground. If he takes a header down the long, curved, hardwood staircase in their house, he could end up in a nursing home -- or worse. I just want those stairs out of his life.

There is a 50/50 chance he will not be able to get his driver's license renewed next June. If he does, it will have restrictions. No license means no insurance, which means no car. That is the only circumstance where my sister and I will take his car away. So, his driving future is up to him, and the State of Texas.

CD

I have no doubts it's the store that either needs to refund me or send me a new issue. I'm giving them one or day to hear back from the carrier, will reach out to them on monday to understand if I'm getting a new dress or a refund. I'm pretty sure the law says thery're responsible for me receiving the package independently of the carrier company they choose.

SatNavSaysStraightOn your story reminds me of the story of a colleague who once received a very expensive pair of acupunture needles that were wrongly delivered at her address. The package was addressed to a neighbour, so she went and delivered it in hand. Which brings me to the second part of my story, someone received and kept a package that belongs to me. The package is correctly identified with my name and address, and assuming this is someone who lives in the neighborhood they should easily return it to me. Both my first name and last name are unusual here in Portugal. I'm even the only person with my name on my facebook. This person has keeping something that belongs to me since July 28 and she hasn't made any effort to deliver it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom