The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing you luck. By the time I’m back online to check things, you’ll be well into Thursday, so let us know how it goes, please!
Went fine , no allergic reaction which is the biggest risk at the first dose. I forgot how tired I always got from this stuff though, I feel like I went through the wringer and was then run over by a truck. So time for sleep. More tomorrow!

People gathered Thursday at Gobbler’s Knob for Groundhog Day,
29015683-FB68-4003-8EE4-8A03AA059467.jpeg

Thanks everyone who supported me and wished me luck :hug:

I'm amazed, I've slept 11 hours (more than 7 hasn't been possible all year) , could rise from my chair without support and could turn around in bed without problems. This in less than 24 hrs since getting my first dose of Remicade!

This makes me so happy guys, means most likely treatment is going to work and I'll be getting my life back!

Looks like (and feels like) our warmer weather has returned. Today is 34°C high and 24°C low. The forecast for the next 9 days is 35-36°C high and 24-25°C low. The jackets are back in the wardrobes.

Geez!!!
Sitting in the waiting room at one DH’s doctor visits and one person is yacking on their cellphone, another is playing a game with the volume turned all the way up, and yet still another is watching something on their phone without any ear buds/ear phones.
Geez!!!

I rarely sit in a doctor's/hospital waiting room and I hate it. However, with my handphone I can read a "book" quite easily without making any noise at all.

[Except maybe the occasional chuckle if the book is funny].

I rarely sit in a doctor's/hospital waiting room and I hate it. However, with my handphone I can read a "book" quite easily without making any noise at all.

[Except maybe the occasional chuckle if the book is funny].
I just take a real book, though I am probably the only millenial on this planet who reads books in trains, busses, and hospitals or other waiting rooms.
The nurse yesterday was amazed I brought two books instead of some technology, and floored when I said I read 5 books a week.

This makes me so happy guys, means most likely treatment is going to work and I'll be getting my life back!
So happy to read this! :woot:

Pardon me if you’ve already said, but is this a weekly treatment routine, or some other interval? How long is the course of treatment? Is it temporary to get things under control, or more of a lifelong maintenance thing?

So happy to read this! :woot:

Pardon me if you’ve already said, but is this a weekly treatment routine, or some other interval? How long is the course of treatment? Is it temporary to get things under control, or more of a lifelong maintenance thing?
I'm in the startup phase now, next one is in two weeks, then four weeks, then 6 to 8 weeks. Before my surgery it used to be every 7 weeks because my immune system fights back hard. It's one morning every 7 weeks in hospital with a drip in your arm. That is, if after 3 months it has proven to work.
If not I will get another type of the same medicine and procedure, but do the startup again which means I'd have to build it up the same way as this.
If it works, it could potentially work for life though that is rare. But I've heard stories of people taking this and having their Crohns be quiet for 10 to 20 years, so it's possible. But I've had Crohns for 17 years (as the Colitis diagnosis turned out the be wrong) and before my surgery nothing worked at all (including the medicine I am getting now) so we'll have to see if I'm that lucky.
So far the longest respite I had of Crohns were the years from my 30th to 34th birthday, so 4 years. I'd be very impressed if I can stay on this for longer. Fingers crossed!

Our internet provider, for the last several years, has been Frontier.

It was fine at first, but over time, signal degradation got so severe, our average download speed was anywhere from about .75Mbps-1.5Mbps. That killed our ability to stream TV and was also affecting my ability to work from home.

It was so bad, we got periodic notices from Frontier, saying they were contractually obligated to provide at least 3Mbps, but couldn’t do so, so we were always free to leave at any time, no early termination or cancellation fees, and that we acknowledged we were paying for more service than we were getting. We didn’t have much choice, because Frontier was the only provider in our area.

Until two weeks ago. :woot:

T-Mobile just rolled out home internet in our area, $10/month cheaper than Frontier, and (get this), download speeds that have been averaging 60x faster than Frontier. 60x!

No contract, cheaper, loads faster. We were the first in our neighborhood to sign up. Funny thing…you know how when you turn your wifi on on your device, and it shows all the nearby networks? On my phone, I’d always see something like:

TastyHomeNet
Frontier48872
Frontier29277
SmittyFrontier
Frontier08480

That’d be me and my closest neighbors. We signed up, and the list changed to

TastyTMobWifi
Frontier48872
Frontier29277
SmittyFrontier
Frontier08480

And now, two weeks later, it’s

TastyTMobWifi
Frontier48872
TMobile-7630
TMobileSmitty
Frontier08480

Other people have gotten the word as well!

TV shows start instantly and don’t freeze or pixelate…photos upload here in a split-second…I’m not the last one to get connected to a Teams meeting at work. It’s awesome!

Oh, and unlike the insults and verbal abuse I took from DirecTV when we cancelled their service (back when we first moved to Frontier), Frontier was easy to cancel. No attempt to keep me on, sell me anything extra, and no snide remarks.

TV shows start instantly and don’t freeze or pixelate…photos upload here in a split-second…I’m not the last one to get connected to a Teams meeting at work. It’s awesome!
That's a dream here.

The TV signal isn't meant to exist and for the most part is hit & miss. The nearest transmitter is over 60km away through mountains so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, we lose channels regularly. We have to rescan about one a week to see most of the channels. The signal is that poor we can't record or watch through a PCR device and that's with a powered amplifier on the aerial.

This means that we try to watch the TV via streaming services far more than live TV. But not all of the streaming services work over satellite broadband because they expect to get a signal back far faster than the ping rate on satellite bb actually happens (900msecs or longer).

There are days when there is simply too much dust or debris in the atmosphere to get a satellite bb signal at all. And thunderstorms or heavy rain also take the signal out completely.

We're pretty much limited to Netflix. On a good day we can get SBS or ABC via their app on the TV, but it fails more often than it succeeds because they don't buffer as much as netflix does (netflix only works in SD, not HD and we deliberately only have the single appliance version so that we get SD content because we can't find a setting on the multi platform version (can watch on 2 devices or more simultaneously) that allows you to choose SD over HD/UHD/4K.

Luckily the actual download part of our satellite bb is actually pretty decent, but the delay (ping response) is the bug in the system. We've gotten used to it, but you can't do Skype or messenger video because the other party can't remember to wait for 3-5 seconds for the delay before talking or asking if you're still there..

Still we're pretty lucky because the Aussie government pays for each rural household to get a satellite bb system installed. We only have to pay our providers the monthly contract.

Our internet provider, for the last several years, has been Frontier.

It was fine at first, but over time, signal degradation got so severe, our average download speed was anywhere from about .75Mbps-1.5Mbps. That killed our ability to stream TV and was also affecting my ability to work from home.

It was so bad, we got periodic notices from Frontier, saying they were contractually obligated to provide at least 3Mbps, but couldn’t do so, so we were always free to leave at any time, no early termination or cancellation fees, and that we acknowledged we were paying for more service than we were getting. We didn’t have much choice, because Frontier was the only provider in our area.

Until two weeks ago. :woot:

T-Mobile just rolled out home internet in our area, $10/month cheaper than Frontier, and (get this), download speeds that have been averaging 60x faster than Frontier. 60x!

No contract, cheaper, loads faster. We were the first in our neighborhood to sign up. Funny thing…you know how when you turn your wifi on on your device, and it shows all the nearby networks? On my phone, I’d always see something like:

TastyHomeNet
Frontier48872
Frontier29277
SmittyFrontier
Frontier08480

That’d be me and my closest neighbors. We signed up, and the list changed to

TastyTMobWifi
Frontier48872
Frontier29277
SmittyFrontier
Frontier08480

And now, two weeks later, it’s

TastyTMobWifi
Frontier48872
TMobile-7630
TMobileSmitty
Frontier08480

Other people have gotten the word as well!

I recently switched to T-Mobile for my iPhone. No noticeable difference in quality over ATT, but a lot cheaper.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom