The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around where I live, the admonishment would be, “Don’ get above yer raisin’!” :laugh:

Here people raise their eyebrows and scoff repeating the OP's pronunciation it what they consider an amped up posh voice.

Tbh I've taken part in a bit of that mockery myself when my aspirational friends suddenly started pronouncing plastic "plaarstic" to try and make themselves sound more cultivated. It was very Hyacinth Bucket.

My sons went to a school with many parents like them, the most irritating phrase I've ever heard repeated and this isn't quite a mispronunciation, just an overemphasis on the last vowel -

"They're taking a gap year in Cambodiaaaar"
and
"Have you been to Cambodiaaaar? It's amaaazing"
🤢😂

Other Brits will know what I mean.

Here people raise their eyebrows and scoff repeating the OP's pronunciation it what they consider an amped up posh voice.
One of the episodes of Inside No. 9 has this as a running subplot - a suburban mom purposely pronouncing “butchers” as “batchers” in an effort to sound more…educated. :laugh:

And don't get me started on
Worcester or As I Just say worst ever sauce.

Russ
I was just watching a cooking video where a guy said “Worcestershire,” then cockily winked at the camera and bragged a little about how some people couldn’t say that word, but he could…even though he’d just mangled it. :laugh:

When we first moved to the UK, we had to go through some nearby town name pronunciations:

“B-I-C-E-S-T-E-R”
“Um…Bi-cester?”
“No, Bice-ster…rhymes with blister. How about T-O-W-C-E-S-T-E-R?”
“Toe-cester?”
“No, Towce-ster, sort of like toaster.”
“Oh, I get it! It’s divided at the -ster, not at the -cester!”
“Exactly. Always remember that. Town names ending in C-E-S-T-E-R are split at the S-T-E-R. Always. Now try this one: C-I-R-E-N-C-E-S-T-E-R.”
“I know! Sir-Rinse-Ster! I got this! It’s easy once you know the rule!”
“Wrong. Ciren-cester. You lose, Bo-Peep!”
“I 🤬 hate you.”

I was just watching a cooking video where a guy said “Worcestershire,” then cockily winked at the camera and bragged a little about how some people couldn’t say that word, but he could…even though he’d just mangled it. :laugh:

When we first moved to the UK, we had to go through some nearby town name pronunciations:

“B-I-C-E-S-T-E-R”
“Um…Bi-cester?”
“Toe-cester?”
“Exactly. Always remember that. Town names ending in C-E-S-T-E-R are split at the S-T-E-R. Always. Now try this one: C-I-R-E-N-C-E-S-T-E-R.”
“I 🤬 hate you.”

I was born in Gloucester county, NJ. I learned early how to pronounce those weird British names.

CD

“B-I-C-E-S-T-E-R”
“Um…Bi-cester?”
“Toe-cester?”
“I 🤬 hate you.”

We never stayed in #### Cester places

Russ

We have 100s of English names here.
I grew up in manurere st . A maori name. Mum used to say wd lived on sh#$ street. :)

Russ
Here in the US, we have area heavy with Native American names, which can be hard to read/say.

In true fashion, though, we like to take non-American names and “fix” them:

DuBois, Pennsylvania is spoken as “doo-boys,” and Cairo, IL is pronounced more like “care-oh.” New Prague, MN…the Prague portion is said like “prayg,” with a long a.

Here in the US, we have area heavy with Native American names, which can be hard to read/say.

In true fashion, though, we like to take non-American names and “fix” them:

DuBois, Pennsylvania is spoken as “doo-boys,” and Cairo, IL is pronounced more like “care-oh.” New Prague, MN…the Prague portion is said like “prayg,” with a long a.
Try saying taiuwi crescent.
Street behind me growing up.
Its " tar ee we.

Russ

Cairo, IL is pronounced more like “care-oh.”

I always heard it pronounced as Kay-ro.

We have Native American names here in Florida too. Topeekeegee Yugnee Park comes to mind first. Most people shorten it to TY Park. I like saying the words so I don't shorten.

Kissimmee is a modern spelling of a tribal word. We used to be silly teens and call it kis-i-me. It's a city pretty close to a really large amusement park in Central Florida that is involved in a legal battle with our governor.

Our state capitol, Tallahassee, is from an old Native American phrase.

There's lots of others, but not going to list them.

I always heard it pronounced as Kay-ro.
I’ve heard it both ways.

We’ve got a lot of NA names here, from the state name on down. As I type, I’m sitting in the Miami Valley, and Chillicothe is just down the road, and my neighbor is originally from Wapakoneta, all NA names.

We lived in Minnesota (another NA name), Wabasha is a popular name for streets, rivers, businesses, and you’d occasionally hear someone say something like, “Where Wah-BASH-ah Ave?” - and the standard locals’ response would be, “I don’t know, y’know, but Wah-ba-SHAW Ave is two blocks south of here!” :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom