The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's coming! A week from today, we are forecast to get our first triple digit temperatures of this summer (100F/38C). :heat:

CD
The high here was 71F/21C today, going down to 46F/8C tonight.

I feel the need to get out a tranq gun and diazepam a few people 😂

I've watched so many great ideas and discussions get completely harpooned by folk getting caught up by the spelling, grammar and punctuation of the OP as if it's relevant to the conversation that I no longer care.

I've also watched intelligent humorous people withdraw from conversation because their literacy skills are poor and they don't feel they can contribute without feeling put down.

If the author or speaker has communicated their intent clearly enough that others understand it then for me that's the bar and everything else is just an example of schools being good at dog obedience training 😂

In the South West of England we will sometimes say a sentence that sounds like it's backwards. For example "Where be that at?" meaning "Where is it."

This is a ridiculed way of speaking but it's a form of speech that predates standard English and the Normans arriving, influenced by the Celtic language.

So language is alive and evolves, things that were right at one time are wrong in another and vice versa.

One of my pet peeves is - "all of a sudden" instead of "suddenly" does that really matter? NOPE but because is mattered to my English teacher it matters to me. Frankly I think it's daft and I enjoy leaving out apostrophes and starting sentences with And or But. Feels good to break programming!

Last edited:
If the author or speaker has communicated their intent clearly enough that others understand it then for me that's the bar and everything else is just an example of schools being good at dog obedience training 😂

I’ve mentioned this before, but here goes again: I attended night school while we lived in the UK, and one class I had was a writing class taught by and English English professor (meaning he was English and was teaching English).

I expected this elderly, well-spoken gentleman to be a stickler about spelling and grammar, and he was (pleasantly) just the opposite: “Language is meant to get a point across. If I understand your meaning, regardless of your spelling or grammar, then you’ve succeeded.” - paraphrasing, of course, but that was his attitude.

I thought that was a beautiful way to be!

We have to juggle 3 games of rugby along with 1 game of netball tomorrow. Someone will miss out.
I may be wearing "longs" tomorrow .

Grandson harry (10) has made regional finals for cross country.
I dont know where he got his stamina as I was only good at short distances.

Russ

I bet their heads are exploding at FOX. :laugh:

(and champaign corks are popping at MSNBC)

CD

Its funny watching both sides and how apart they are. Conspiracy is rife.

As an aside, I wouldn't trust hunter biden one bit.

Joe was always confident the debt would be signed off.

Russ

Its funny watching both sides and how apart they are. Conspiracy is rife.

As an aside, I wouldn't trust hunter biden one bit.

Joe was always confident the debt would be signed off.

Russ

Hunter Biden has his own problems, mostly self-inflicted, but he's not running for President... or even the local city council. So, I don't care. Let the chips fall where they may with him.

As for the debt, Republicans always vote to increase the debt limit when there is a Republican President. They did it for Trump three times. The national debt increased by almost $8-Trillion while Trump was president. They only worry about the debt when there is a Democratic President. It's all a political game. The US economy is strong right now, with near record low unemployment. Some extreme conservative members of congress have decided to do everything they can to tank the economy before the 2024 elections. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed, and a deal was reached.

CD

Hunter Biden has his own problems, mostly self-inflicted, but he's not running for President... or even the local city council. So, I don't care. Let the chips fall where they may with him.

As for the debt, Republicans always vote to increase the debt limit when there is a Republican President. They did it for Trump three times. The national debt increased by almost $8-Trillion while Trump was president. They only worry about the debt when there is a Democratic President. It's all a political game. The US economy is strong right now, with near record low unemployment. Some extreme conservative members of congress have decided to do everything they can to tank the economy before the 2024 elections. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed, and a deal was reached.

CD

Your politics are quite confusing, not you personally but your country.
I kinda get most of it, the Senate does confuse me though??

Russ

I got a call from my sister from her car. She, and 180,000 other homes and businesses in Houston have lost electricity due to storms with 60+ MPH winds. That part of Texas is heavily wooded, with lots of tall pine trees. I'm sure a lot of power lines were taken down by falling trees.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom