The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested in a Lladro nativity set or Lladro tree ornaments? I've got some for sale.

CD
We don't have any of that, but thanks for thinking of me. You should be able to sell those pretty easily, especially if you have any retired pieces.

We don't have any of that, but thanks for thinking of me. You should be able to sell those pretty easily, especially if you have any retired pieces.

Yes, they go to auction at the end of the month. The retired pieces will sell for good money.

My mom also has the Santa's Workshop pieces, including Santa, Mrs Clause a workbench and an elf, but she is keeping that.

CD

Yes, they go to auction at the end of the month. The retired pieces will sell for good money.

My mom also has the Santa's Workshop pieces, including Santa, Mrs Clause a workbench and an elf, but she is keeping that.

CD
I can't wait until I'm dead so I can look down (or up, more likely :devil:) and watch three of our nieces get in a death fight over our glass ornaments. They've all called dibs on them. :laugh:

I can't wait until I'm dead so I can look down (or up, more likely :devil:) and watch three of our nieces get in a death fight over our glass ornaments. They've all called dibs on them. :laugh:

After all my sister and I are going through moving my parents in to a senior community from a big house, I'm going to leave a secret note with my will that if I die, here is a short list of things to take from my house, then start a kitchen fire, and pretend you can't find your phone to call 911. :laugh:

CD

It was 87F/30.5C today. A cold front comes through around 4Am overnight. Tomorrow, it is predicted to only hit 75F/24C, and by Friday, we are looking at 70F/21C. I could live with that all year long.

Oh, that front is packing some pretty stormy weather.

CD

The front came through around 4AM. It had sting, gusty winds and dropped a lot of rain, but it blew through in less than an hour. It is sunny and 72F/22C now (1:35PM). Very nice.

I'm at DFW Airport, waiting to catch my flight to Houston for a week.

CD

Volcanoes are a new climate concern, apparently. As ice in the Arctic has been melting, it has been setting up some global tectonic shifts, - very small, but still measurable. The redistribution of water weight changes the isostasy of the Earth's continental blocks as it presses down harder on the ocean basins and lightens continental crust in Greenland, North America and Siberia. Isostasy is not often talked about with regard to the tektonic movements of the Earth's crust, but in geological history has been theorized long ago and examples have shown up more recently, like the shifting of the crust at Lake Erie in North America. The wiki is worth a read.

Volcanoes have been going active globally at an increased rate, most notably, Las Palmas, Kiluwea and an area between Madagascar and the African continent where recently, a huge new underwater volcano has earned the honor of being so enormous to rate being called one of the largest underwater volcanoes in the world. This volcano owes its existence to the draining of lava from below the "Mojo", a discontinuity lying at the boundary of the Earth's thin top crust (lithospere) and the deeper magmatic interior of the Earth (Asthenosphere).

Of note, the super volcano Krakatau has just been found to have gone active.

I admit, I'm a geology nut. I love this sort of thing and find it thrilling to see so much activity going on, all of a sudden.

I admit, I'm a geology nut. I love this sort of thing and find it thrilling to see so much activity going on, all of a sudden.

I'm not sure you should be enjoying this. Bad things are happening due to climate change. Luckily there are no volcanos in Kent, UK. But for some people this is a life or death issue.

In the early days of the internet I accidentally joined an internet forum about volcanos. It was a very 'nerdy' group and mainly scientists. I got so fascinated that I stayed subscribed for several years - so I understand your interest.

I'm not sure you should be enjoying this. Bad things are happening due to climate change. Luckily there are no volcanos in Kent, UK. But for some people this is a life or death issue.

In the early days of the internet I accidentally joined an internet forum about volcanos. It was a very 'nerdy' group and mainly scientists. I got so fascinated that I stayed subscribed for several years - so I understand your interest.

As much as I am into geology, yes, it is something that does thrill me. I would not have expected to see global isostasy in action, like what is happening today. I have been through more than a few natural mega disasters in my lifetime and they were all thrilling, including a major earthquake, the Mt. St. Helens Volcano in Washtington State, near Tacoma/Seattle and tornadoes that came within just under a mile from where I stood, once a string of three waterspouts while I was scuba diving off Key West, Florida. I have seen major fires, land slides and typhoons while at sea with my ship, a super aircraft carrier, plowing through waves that crashed over her flight deck. I have yet to see a Tsunami.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom