The Good Ol' Days

I'm a complete rebel where that is concerned - I really don't care what people wear or where they choose to wear it. There are lots of 'dress codes' which are not only restrictive and possibly pointless but also sexist. Safety, is another matter of course and dress codes are important in that context.

Personally, I wouldn't go out into the street wearing pyjamas (not that I possess any!) but there are plenty of women in my street who do.

Some dress codes can be too much restrictive, useless and even sexist, I guess what you mean and I can also agree, but my reference was certainly not so 'extreme'.
An easy example, referring to what @TastyReuben has written about the office dresscode: shorts (worn by both men and women) or flip flops in the office (especially during the 'casual Friday'), I would say no. There is a respect for certain shared places that must be respected, even if is the casual Friday.

Going out on the street wearing pyjamas.....gosh!

Back to the Good Old days.. When I was growing up, I played w a hula hoop and a slinky. Today kids play on their smartphones. :(

Childhood games - yes hula hoop. Hopscotch anyone? Marbles, five stones, jacks to name but a few playground games. And we 'swapped' beads. Girls had tins of beads and sometimes fake diamonds and crystals which were bartered.

Not on the Red Carpet or Rodeo Drive, dear :P
Some of the Studio executives, where I worked, wore denim Jean jackets or shoes without socks. One exec walked around in a Superman costume with a cape and boots, but that's another story. Lol Anything short of a bathing suit, was allowed. I did post some cute thongs/flip-flops that mg & I like. I started to take it personally. Lol.
PS. It is hot here. So, there's that too. :P
I love clothes. Always have.
Holes in jeans, or slashes, distressed look is big. Not sure I'm that into it. It's a copycat manufactured Hippy Woodstock (my era) style. I sewed rainbow patches on jeans & embroidered flowers, but no ripped jeans.

Wait, wait, maybe this is crossing the thread and also what I meant .. let's create a thread 'what I meant was ...' :laugh:
However, I understand you quite well, I worked in a television studio and I still work in advertising, I would say that I have a pretty clear picture of the situation!

I also love clothes and I always dressed as I wanted. But in every place a suitable dress ... I have so many sandals that I could also sell them. I'd like to see your personal creations.

Childhood games - yes hula hoop. Hopscotch anyone? Marbles, five stones, jacks to name but a few playground games. And we 'swapped' beads. Girls had tins of beads and sometimes fake diamonds and crystals which were bartered.
Never swapped beads, but did swap comic books. Had a great collection going, until my mom threw them out to make room for my sisters clothes in my closet. They would be worth a fortune today. :cry:

Oh, what is five stones? The others I used to play.

As I type, there is a man in my office who has taken cheap thrift store grey sweatpants and made them into cutoffs, and he didn't cut them straight, and they're jagged, and I can see his underwear on one side, and they're dirty.

10 years ago, it was a big deal when they said we didn't have to wear ties any more. Slippery slope, I said. Did anyone listen? Nope, and now I'm faced with Bob's left butt cheek going by my cube. :thumbsdown:

There are plenty of styles I don't like, but I wouldn't say not to wear it (athleisure, anyone? :laugh: ). My biggest gripe is when I see clothes that are stained or in disrepair (and I'm not even talking about purposely torn, but torn or holey from use).

We have a guy who regularly attends the opera here in a tuxedo shirt and jacket, but with madras shorts and loafers with no socks. He looks a right twit, but his clothes are in good repair and clean, so "you do you," as the kids like to say.

But when you show up to a nice meal or something in a t-shirt with the collar half-torn and a big splotchy stain on your trousers, I'm going to think you'd be better off taking the money you're about to spend on that bone-in ribeye and go buy a pair of pants that you don't have to fasten with safety-pin. :laugh:

I think the thing I miss the most is that, because of older technology, we really could think that what we went through were the Good Old Days. We didn't have smart phones available to record everything, and we didn't have always-on news to give us an in-depth record of exactly what's going on. Now, if I want to recollect a gathering with friends and family, I can go to Facebook and see exactly what happened. And frequently, I don't like how I look in those pictures!

I'm also happy that books (the physical ones printed on paper) haven't gone out of fashion. There was a time when it was believed that everything would be replaced by the much-more-efficient vehicle of the Kindle. But, it's clear that people want to hold something in their hands other than a tablet, and they want to flip actual pages. The trick for me now is finding the time to read...

Another thing I miss is the absence of a mobile phone. Now I couldn't help it, but sometimes I think about it ... maybe things were better? Oh, who knows, that's a huge (maybe useless too) question, but how did I do when cell phones didn't exist?
That's a good one: for many things, cell phones fill time that wasn't filled before, and not necessarily for great purpose (see the thread on smart phones for more about that). As a child, long-distance drives were occupied with games spent spotting licence plates. This sounds like a charming memory of days gone by, but in reality there was some real crushing boredom for the passengers.

And, I was watching a movie set in the 1960s yesterday, when they were driving in the snow, and I couldn't help but thinking, "back then, if your car broke down, you had to either fix it yourself, or expect to walk a long way to get help." Now, you can call someone to help (if it's not something simple like changing a tire).

10 years ago, it was a big deal when they said we didn't have to wear ties any more. Slippery slope, I said. Did anyone listen? Nope

When I started work, I was expected to wear a tie. This was true of my first 6 or so years out of college. But, I recall Ford adopting a business casual attire around 1990, and some journalists dubbed it the "slob generation." But, for the last 5 years or so, I've decided to step up my game at work. I don't wear a tie, but everything else I wear would have been right at home pre-1990.

But, for the last 5 years or so, I've decided to step up my game at work. I don't wear a tie, but everything else I wear would have been right at home pre-1990.
That's me a work. I stick out (in a good way) because I generally wear some kind of dressed-down outfit, like dress shirt, tie, jacket, and dark jeans with boots. I still wear a dress hat on occasion. I love my hats!

And one for Good New Days - I wouldn't trade the wealth of information a smartphone and the internet put in my jacket pocket for anything. For all the woes of social media, the trade-off is worth it for me.

I still have one, a rainbow one which gets played with regularly. More often it is adults that are attacked to it but children do have just as much fun with it.
Oooo. A rainbow slinky! I want a slinky for the coffee table, & form it in a "U" shape as an art object and conversation piece. Like Andy Warhol. Ha.

I worked at in advertising agency on Madison Ave in New York years ago. All the men wore suits and ties. Women were lucky if they could wear pants to work. California is very different from New York. Very big adjustment. NY was also much faster paced, & people dressed up more. At first I thought maybe Californians have been laying out in the sun too long. Wow, it's slow here. You adapt/adjust to certain things. Not everything. The beach & warm weather are good, though :wink:

Back
Top Bottom