The gustatory experience and food science

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:30 AM
The beginnings of Food Science, it may be conjectured, might trace roots back to ancient Chinese Dynasties, having eunuchs pre-tasting food for an Emperor and even going so far as to inspect the Emperor's feces. Of course, it can be argued that this started as a means of preventing the Emperors from being intentionally poisoned, but the reality is that it was meant to regulate the nutritional intake of the Emperors.

Most people might consider the components of food, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals and so forth, along with prescribing food groups for meals, as Food Science. And they would be correct, of course.

The Gustatory Experience and Food Preparation, however, is more subjective, psychological and behavioral as a science. Terms such as Meat Science, Palate Cleansing and Aesthetic Food Appearance conjoin in defining the Gustatory Experience, not with any consideration of Nutrition and Food Groups. Calling this a science is likely something out of round for many who prefer referring to this sort of thing as Culinary Art.

Does Food Preparation qualify as a science? Apparently, in the culinary world, it does. There is a behavioral science aspect to it, eliciting an emotional response from diners, more than satisfying the human need to consume nutrients.

The average cook might not consider such distinctions, art vs. science, at all. They work to develop a meal that satisfies their opinion of good flavor and appearance and that's the depth of it for them. Considering a subjective impact in terms of human psychology and behavior eludes consideration. But there is a history to the evolution of Food Science that is worth considering, even for the average cook, homebody who is proud of their capabilities to produce favorable meals for family and friends. There is something in it that goes beyond recipes.

The Gustatory Experience is something that books can be written about, not to describe recipes, but processes, designs, intentions, layouts and creative visions. And no doubt, a historical exposition of the Gustatory Experience in Food Science would be much favored reading material.

I was curious. Have there been books already written about the Gustatory Experience? - Food Science?

I thought there might be, but what books? Which book on the topics would be worth investing a few bucks and time to read?

I found this one which seems to be favored ...

Taste as Experience

I just watched a video last week (just two minutes long) about applying a little science to making a cup of tea, and the most interesting thing about it to me was that the cup or mug you use to serve your tea will psychologically influence the tea drinker, and they used the example of how studies show, tea served in a red mug/cup is perceived as sweeter than tea served in mugs/cups that aren't red.

Here is another interesting book on the topic ...

Cook, Taste, Learn

This has more to do with the history and development of cooking and food preparation methods.

Hi! Funny that you ask this question right when I am in the middle of reading the Physiology of taste, by Brillat-Savarin (the writer, not the cheese we named after him). It is considered by my fellow French people to be one of the first attempts in France by an amateur gastronome to write about all the aspects of gastronomy, from the classification of the different categories of foods to their effect on the body, the history of the product and of course, how they can and should be prepared. Of course some of the science is outdated (it was published in 1825 - which means it is in the public domaine :wink: ) but it still a very interesting piece of work written by an enthusiastic food-lover, and all our French chef have learnt about him at school!

Hi! Funny that you ask this question right when I am in the middle of reading the Physiology of taste, by Brillat-Savarin (the writer, not the cheese we named after him). It is considered by my fellow French people to be one of the first attempts in France by an amateur gastronome to write about all the aspects of gastronomy, from the classification of the different categories of foods to their effect on the body, the history of the product and of course, how they can and should be prepared. Of course some of the science is outdated (it was published in 1825 - which means it is in the public domaine :wink: ) but it still a very interesting piece of work written by an enthusiastic food-lover, and all our French chef have learnt about him at school!

Bravo for having shown an interest in this fascinating aspect of cooking and baking. Thanks for the reference.

Back
Top Bottom