The Heresy of Modifying a Traditional Recipe

LateNightGourmet, I have to give you courage credit for smacking that beehive with a baseball bat.

Tasty, you have a harder head than I do.

CD :laugh:

When I was in 7th grade, I was with my friends in a wooded area in Maryland, and I saw a beehive. I decided to see what would happen if I jammed a big stick into it. NOTE: the bees don’t like that. The bees knew it was me, and they proceeded to sting me (in my scalp a few times) as I ran for my life. A friend asked me why I did that. I said, “I don’t know. I wanted to see what would happen.”

It’s like that.

I just got back from a run to the store to get some tomatoes for a carbonara. I drove my Ferrari. Now, some people say, "Hey, that's not an "authentic" Ferrari!" But to them I say, I don't care what you think is "authentic," this is a Ferrari!!!

CD

I just got back from a run to the store to get some tomatoes for a carbonara. I drove my Ferrari. Now, some people say, "Hey, that's not an "authentic" Ferrari!" But to them I say, I don't care what you think is "authentic," this is a Ferrari!!!

CD
Now you're getting it! :laugh:

Seriously, I do feel the need to point out that these conversations about authenticity and tradition do not make me angry in the least - I enjoy them immensely, because it's usually the traditionalists who are fuming mad. I don't mind occasionally tweaking someone who takes something a little too seriously. It's just food. Nobody owns it.

Now you're getting it! :laugh:

Seriously, I do feel the need to point out that these conversations about authenticity and tradition do not make me angry in the least - I enjoy them immensely, because it's usually the traditionalists who are fuming mad. I don't mind occasionally tweaking someone who takes something a little too seriously. It's just food. Nobody owns it.

I'm not angry, but if you come to Dallas some day, you are NOT riding in my Ferrari. :mad:

CD

:D I stand corrected although almost all recipes I see say pancetta (not surprising considering its almost impossible to get guanciale in the UK). I note MypinchofItaly hasn't commented (yet

I’m enjoying this thread, although I think that caseydog hit the spot of what I also think. I love both traditional dishes and the innovative ones, just respecting both.
Although tomatoes in carbonara makes me shout :laugh:.
But not because they are not good, I don’t know, I might try or maybe not, I might like it (I am a bit iffy, those creamy eggs mixed with Pecorino and then tomatoes? Meh) or maybe not, but I won’t call it Carbonara for sure

Although tomatoes in carbonara makes me shout :laugh:.
The biggest problem with tomatoes in carbonara is that the tomatoes may be a little acidic. If that's the case, you can just add a couple of pinches of sugar to balance it out.

I heard MypinchofItaly shout all the way over here in Ohio! :wink:

Well, adding more confusion to the discussion, I've read several sources saying carbonara doesn't originally have cream, but I have yet to find a carbonara with no cream in it.

Back
Top Bottom