The Heresy of Modifying a Traditional Recipe

:D I stand corrected although almost all recipes I see say pancetta (not surprising considering its almost impossible to get guanciale in the UK). I note MypinchofItaly hasn't commented (yet).

Chef Antonio Carluccio used guanciale in his, but he said pancetta was an acceptable substitute. His big pet peeve seemed to be people using cream in their carbonara.

And, I agree on the tomatoes in carbonara not sounding like a good combination -- tradition or not. It seems like it would clash.

CD

Chef Antonio Carluccio used guanciale in his, but he said pancetta was an acceptable substitute. His big pet peeve seemed to be people using cream in their carbonara.

And, I agree on the tomatoes in carbonara not sounding like a good combination -- tradition or not. It seems like it would clash.

CD

Yep, pancetta is acceptable mostly if you can’t find Guanciale (even is some parts of Italy guanciale is not always available, I only can image abroad) or you just want to use Pancetta. But this doesn’t change the fact that traditional Carbonara calls for Guanciale

Yep, pancetta is acceptable mostly if you can’t find Guanciale (even is some parts of Italy guanciale is not always available, I only can image abroad) or you just want to use Pancetta. But this doesn’t change the fact that traditional Carbonara calls for Guanciale
Ok, can I get some credibility back, since I've made carbonara with guanciale? :)

The biggest problem with tomatoes in carbonara is that the tomatoes may be a little acidic. If that's the case, you can just add a couple of pinches of sugar to balance it out.

I heard MypinchofItaly shout all the way over here in Ohio! :wink:

Haha, nope I am not shouting about sugar in tomato sauce, I prefer to put a piece of carrot but I know many people put sugar - I also do it sometimes, although I prefer the first choice 🙂

I do mine the way Antonio Carluccio does it, but I can't buy Guanciale here. I use pancetta, of if I get a craving for carbonara, and don't want to go out and buy it for one serving of carbonara, I'll use regular American bacon. It is from the same part of the pig as pancetta, it is cheaper, and I always have it at home. So, I'm not making a drastic change, just using what I have readily at hand.

CD

At least where I live, recipes can't be copyrighted because the discussion about who invented a certain dish would be way too complicated. Personally I think, when there's a tried and tested way of doing things that's the best way a restaurant can do it because customers expect a certain standard to be met when they go to a restaurant. So naturally, that's when a carbonara should not have tomatoes unless the menu specifies what has been modified or 'upgraded' (which often is not an upgrade with a good classic, imo).
But what people do at home, does not bother me one bit. If you like carbonara with tomatoes, go ahead. I will keep what I think about that to myself.

A good example of this is the Gratin Dauphinois recipe I posted, the traditional way to make Dauphinois is with just cream and no cheese. Yet almost every restaurant does add cheese these days, because this modification is so common that customers expect it these days. Personally, I love it both with and without cheese and use both on different occasions. However, if I claim to make a traditional Dauphinois, I will not add cheese. That's why I wrote it was my own version.

Traditional is something that belongs at the family level. WHO is to say ones family recipe isn't traditional? The reason I hate that word as well as "authentic". People who are stuck on those terms need to get over themselves

If I want to put bananas in gnocchi and call it carbonara, that's what I'm going to do, and if some purists get their knickers in a twist...well, all the better, AFAIC. :laugh:
I think banana gnocchi with vanilla ice cream and honey, with maybe some shaved chocolate on top, would be a nice dessert.

Back
Top Bottom