The humble baked potato

Nuked, scrap out the flesh leaving about an 1/8" and deep fry. I like to stuff the fried skins with nacho toppings and put in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese. Serve with salsa, guac and sour cream or crema. Hot sauce if you please . Absolutely no Velveeta or other fake cheese!

If we are having them during the week then we microwave them then in the oven to finish off and crispen the skin, a knob of butter and grated cheese with baked beans on the side, a big favourite in this household :thumbsup:

I like baked potatoes, with either baked beans, grated cheese (loads of), or just butter.

If I had to choose which one I like the most, and rank them in order, it would be:

1st: grated cheese,
2nd: baked beans,
3rd: butter.

I don't like coleslaw as I had a bad experience with it some years ago - violently ill.

Do you ever leave the skin on? It doesn't look very pretty but the skin holds a lot of goodness.
I think if I mashed them with a conventional masher this would work, otherwise the skins would clog up the ricer. I was trying to think of a use for the skins anyway, possibly re-baking, or possibly deep frying them.

I think if I mashed them with a conventional masher this would work, otherwise the skins would clog up the ricer. I was trying to think of a use for the skins anyway, possibly re-baking, or possibly deep frying them.

I don't have a ricer only a masher. If you cut the potato into small chunks (prior to boiling) would that not work?

I recently cubed potatoes prior to boiling for samosas. I've always cubed them after boiling before.

I didn't take a picture of just the potatoes, but here is our twice-backed version. Ours have the potato flesh, lots of butter, a bit of cream so the mixture is not too tight, sour cream, sharp cheddar and bacon mixed in the stuffing, then a little more cheese and some bacon pieces on top.

full.jpg

I don't have a ricer only a masher. If you cut the potato into small chunks (prior to boiling) would that not work?

I recently cubed potatoes prior to boiling for samosas. I've always cubed them after boiling before.

It would work for a rustic mash, but it deviates from my quest for the perfect mashed potato (pommes purée). Baking the potato instead of boiling it retains more of the flavour. Using a ricer instead of a masher gives a looser consistency that will happily sit in a warm pan, waiting to be finished with an embarrassing quantity of melted butter, sometimes infused with garlic. Sorry, I can get carried away when it comes to mashed potato!

Attachments

• mwaved s.jpg
    mwaved s.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom