The juice of one lemon

We had a period of about a month last year where lemons were complexly unavailable anywhere locally. It was really odd. When they did come back into the stores, they were desperately expensive to the point where I substituted them with limes in many recipes. Limes are cheaper for most of the year in the Canberra area.

That’s for the pollies G&T’s & cocktails.

Everywhere else limes are generally more expensive.

One of my old cookery books has quite a few recipes with lemons in. In each recipe it states "Juice of one whole lemon, or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice), so I take it that 2 tbsp is the average amount of juice per lemon. It doesn't mention limes, but maybe fresh limes were not always available in the UK when the book was published (just after World War 2). The only time I ever saw anything with lime in, it was always lime juice cordial not fresh lime juice. Don't have to go far to get limes or lemons though - the garage on the corner always has them :laugh:

I've discovered that.....
The rind of one lemon, when called for in a recipe is also an issue.

I made some lebkuchen. I used a recipe in last week's Sunday Times. It needed lemon rind. The first batch were overwhelmed by the lemon (still delicious), so I didn't quite use all the rind in the second batch which were just right.
I think the lemons I bought are quite large.

I have heard that the juice is too bitter to actually use in cooking. Is that correct? We have a tree and I tasted the juice and did find it bitter, but some dishes use a bitter flavor in them.

You may be correct. Normal limes (as we know them) and their juices are generally used in cooking. My wife uses liquidised kaffir limes to wash her hair (I don't know why). I have used kaffir limes together with normal limes in the past for lime pickle.

limes-2 s.jpg

You may be correct. Normal limes (as we know them) and their juices are generally used in cooking. My wife uses liquidised kaffir limes to wash her hair (I don't know why). I have used kaffir limes together with normal limes in the past for lime pickle.

View attachment 12368

Thanks for the reply! I did read about the hair use while searching for uses for the juice. The smell is intoxicating, enticing you to want to take a bite.:eek:

I made some lebkuchen. I used a recipe in last week's Sunday Times. It needed lemon rind. The first batch were overwhelmed by the lemon (still delicious), so I didn't quite use all the rind in the second batch which were just right.
I think the lemons I bought are quite large.

I had to look that up - the lemon seems unusual. All the recipes I hit on were spices and ginger.

Marzipan lebkuchen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom