The key food trends for 2021 in Australia

I like to watch those old TV spots from the 1950's, where some company is highlighting their futuristic appliances or how to use their product in a hundred different dishes...you know, they always have things like Jell-O salad and garnishes cut into the shapes of little animals. Very kitschy stuff.

Fan potatoes always show up in those ads, with some kind of over-enthusiastic voiceover saying something like, "Today's hostess will be the talk of the coffee circle with these fun potatoes! Say goodbye to plain old baked potatoes, and say hello to these wonderful accordion potatoes, which can be stuffed, layered, and served in a variety of exciting ways! All the girls will wonder how you did it!"

:laugh:

Don't forget the patented RobCo Bass-O-Matic from the 70s. :D

CD

I agree, but some classics owe to be brought back!
..Like Cordon Bleu and the good old prawn cocktail - simply because they taste bloody good!
It's all cyclical, like fashion. What's old is new, and v. v. Some classic never go away because they've transcended the trend to become a staple. I think that's what a lot of people strive for, but rarely attain.

I like a Hasselback sweet potato too. Though I’ve not seen them out & about.

What I have seen are those QR code menus.
I hate them passionately. Like I do the self check outs at supermarkets. Life is about human interaction. Myself, I get plenty, but I have friends that live alone and need it.

As someone who loved waitressing - talking food & drink with customers, I feel like this is being pushed on customers as Covid safe but really, what a load of BS. It’s all about the almighty dollar. Saving on the number of floor staff.

And it’s not always smooth. My daughter paid for a basket of hot wings one day only to be told they weren’t available and it shouldn’t have even been possible for this to happen, but alas, there we were. She chose a replacement dish just a dollar above the cost of the wings and there was some talk between the server & the supervisor as they couldn’t quite figure out how to process this. In the end, it was their problem, not ours but it put a blot on a lovely long lunch we were enjoying with family & friends.

I’ve even had someone refuse to take cash. You’re actually not allowed to refuse legal tender. We ordered & paid for our ramen on the stupid QR (I gave my friend cash for my share and she paid actually) but they wanted me to whip the card out again to pay $1.50 for a recycled cardboard takeaway container for my leftovers.

I left without paying the $1.50 and I took my half serve of ramen with me as I was so mad.

Don’t get me started on the evils of some of those home delivery apps.

What I have seen are those QR code menus.
I hate them passionately. Like I do the self check outs at supermarkets. Life is about human interaction. Myself, I get plenty, but I have friends that live alone and need it.

As someone who loved waitressing - talking food & drink with customers, I feel like this is being pushed on customers as Covid safe but really, what a load of BS. It’s all about the almighty dollar. Saving on the number of floor staff.

Don’t get me started on the evils of some of those home delivery apps.

Right now, I am between cell phones, so if someone pushes a QR code menu on me, I'd walk out.

The home delivery things from "local" restaurants? None of those will deliver where I am - and If I do find one that does, the food is guaranteed to be stone cold when it arrives. I now have one of those trays I can put on my steering wheel, and dine in my car if it is too cold out to put a folding chair outside of it. (I've done this once, with the Vietnamese restaurant 50 minutes away from home, as cold pho is pretty un-appealing. I think we can now eat indoors there now, this was 2020.)

I will sometimes use the self-checkout lane - but rarely. Only if I make the mistake of going mid-day to shop for groceries, and the cashier lines are backed way down into aisles. Living alone myself, especially last year and early this one, it was nice to have someone to chat with in person, even if only for a few seconds.

I don't like the QR code menus, just because they're harder to read, but I love being able to pay on my phone.

I also like most other self-serve things, it just gets me through things at my convenience. I loved the self-checkout kiosks at the grocery store, and now we have the option to scan and bag it as we shop and pay on our phone, so I use that whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom