The Left Over Thread

Thought of another one folks. Leftover Christmas ham, or the ham bone, is traditionally used in our house to make Split Peas Soup. Anyone else do that?
Yes! That leftover ham bone from a ham dinner is welcome (along with a little leftover meat, too) in split pea soup!!!

I eat leftovers every week, several times a week. Although I work from home my schedule is somewhat erratic and I plan my life assuming I won't have time to cook every meal. Plus, I love cooking, but it's good to have some extra free time to do other things I also enjoy :D So I almost always cook enough food to last me 3 or 4 meals. I add variety in the side dishes or eat a meal of boiled fish with vegetables in between to add some variety. If I cooked too much food I can also freeze part of it.

I absolutely avoid throwing out food. Reducing food waste is actually the gesture that has the biggest impact on sustainability.

I usually add some extra liquid to help reconstitute whatever sauce the pasta is cooked in..
Ya know Roch, I thought of that too, and that's exactly what I did. The thing was that the reheated Macaroni had only been tossed in Olive Oil ... :scratchhead: Do you think that the combo made it rubbery? Anyways that was I nice leftover meal for moi last night ...
IMG_1453.JPG

Another thought - when I was a Working Jane, I'd make meals in advance on Sundays to take for lunch for a few days. Technically, those were "leftovers" even if I didn't eat any on the day being made. And when I did eat some - I was consciously making enough for work later that week. Yes, as leftovers.
I did the same thing!!
These two young men in my office loved the idea that I was having a "hot lunch" every day and wished that they could do the same, but did not cook ... 💡... I got them to pay me to make them 5 meals each per week ... win win in my book :okay: They were paying for in the ingredients and I chipped in my time. I never knew how to cook for two, four was my magic number :giggle:

Ya know Roch, I thought of that too, and that's exactly what I did. The thing was that the reheated Macaroni had only been tossed in Olive Oil ... :scratchhead: Do you think that the combo made it rubbery? Anyways that was I nice leftover meal for moi last night ...
View attachment 82983
Just call it al dente “extreme”.

A similar problem that I have is making a recipe and freezing some. I always just throw whatever amount I’m saving into the freezer without portioning it.

A month later, I’ll get whatever it is out of the freezer, like a pot pie filling, and realize I’ve saved four portions in one lump, when I really should have saved them off in two portions. I’m embarrassed to say how many times I’ve done that - it’s basically freezing something to throw away later. :laugh:

Vacuum sealed & frozen, the supposedly embarrassing leftovers can become the wonderful stuff for making things like pot pies, soups & stews! in the fridge, the leftover veggies, rice, noodles or potatoes can add to that by coming in dandy! As kids, we used to call it "clean out the fridge" soup. Because just about everything came from the fridge or the freezer. Hah!! But Mama knew what she was doing, & that same tradition has followed us to this very day! It's also called stretching your budget to make ends meet! As long as it's not spoiled. And boy, can we learn from that in today's high food prices as the result of the War in Ukrane!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Vacuum sealed & frozen, the supposedly embarrassing leftovers can become the wonderful stuff for making things like pot pies, soups & stews! in the fridge, the leftovewr veggies, rice, noodles or potatoes can add to that by coming in dandy! As kids, we used to call it "clean out the fridge" soup. Because just about everything came from the fridge or the freezer. Hah!! But Mama knew what she was doing, & that same tradition has followed us to this very day! It's also called stretching your budget to make ejnds meet! And boy, can we learn from that in today's high food prices as the result of the War in Ukrane!! :whistling:

Vacuum sealing makes a huge difference in shelf life and in freezer space.

To vacuum seal soups, put the soup in a bag, freeze it, THEN vacuum seal it. You'll need some space to safely stand a few open bags of soup in the fridge until the soup is frozen.

CD

I put my Soups, Broth, etc... all liquid leftovers for the freezer in zip top bags, expel all of the air and then lay them flat-ish on a sheet pan, then into the deep freeze. This way those flat-ish items stack vertically in a tub in the stand up freezer or in a sturdy reusable grocery bag, aka Trader Joe's `cuz theirs are superior for this use, for the chest freezer.
In fact, this afternoon I just rearranged both the freezers in the garage as well my dry pantry.

I'd rather get rid of the white meat (eat some, share with cats) on the first day, serving when hot (for me at least). Dark meat is great either hot or cold. If I have to do breast a second day, I throw it into a casserole and heat it. Preferably topping it with cheese, too. Disguise it with flavor!

Extra veggies, depending on what they were, may end up in an omelet. Or with that casserole.

By and large, if it was good, it is something I look forward to the next day (or maybe a day after that).

Exceptions are something that is meant to be hot and crispy. Even reheated in the oven, the crisp doesn't truly return. Avocados don't last, either. Pasta can be problematic.

But I have no intrinsic objection to the idea of leftover consumption.
Have tried putting them in an Air Fryer?
I've done leftover restaurant Fries and they're gorgeous!

No air fryer just of yet... soon...

Mountain Cat, I'm surprised that you don't have one yet! When I bought the Ninja Foodie, I didn't exactly rush right out to get it, either. I waited a while. & gave it some thought about all the things that it can do. The one thing that I like is that you can roast a whole chicken in it after pressure cooking it. But the thing is that you have to turn the chicken over to get its backside brown as well. But it's all good. :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom