The Left Over Thread

…and here is tonight’s leftover rice pudding (meaning it was made with leftover rice):

Cooked in half-and-half, with a cinnamon stick tossed in, golden raisins, and cinnamon on top. That’s the way I usually make it.

Tomorrow, we’ll have leftover rice pudding, as in the pudding itself will have been left over. :wink:

We're having leftover chili-- as in I pulled a small container out of the freezer. I added a bit of leftover chicken fajita mix (about a large serving spoonful) that was in the frig, plus some chopped tomato that was getting overripe, and a chopped up leftover prime rib burger. Feeling better about making room in my frig and not throwing food away!

I reckon both can be wonderful. You were just scarred by childhood/youth exposure to bad examples methinks
No, I don´t think so, although we had some pretty dire examples at school. My mum used to make pretty reasonable versions. I just find both very boring. You can put whatever exotic ingredients you like in them, but for me, it´s mutton dressed as lamb. Bread with sugar, and rice with sugar.

No, I don´t think so, although we had some pretty dire examples at school. My mum used to make pretty reasonable versions. I just find both very boring. You can put whatever exotic ingredients you like in them, but for me, it´s mutton dressed as lamb. Bread with sugar, and rice with sugar.

This was the nicest rice pudding I've made (and it has booze in it)

Recipe - Strawberry Rice Pudding with Rosewater

I also made one with a brûlée top: Recipe - Rice Pudding Brûlée with Mascarpone & Honey

You can put whatever exotic ingredients you like in them, but for me, it´s mutton dressed as lamb. Bread with sugar, and rice with sugar.
Couldn’t you say something similar about any rice dish, then? Fried rice is just rice with some chopped up meat and veg…rice pilaf is just rice with little bits of pasta and herbs, etc? Is it just that you don’t like sweetened rice?

Couldn’t you say something similar about any rice dish, then? Fried rice is just rice with some chopped up meat and veg…rice pilaf is just rice with little bits of pasta and herbs, etc? Is it just that you don’t like sweetened rice?
Examples of recipes, ingredients or types of food preparation that find an audience that disapproves is endless and forever.

Me for example, when I cook fiddleheads I do a quick blanch then in a little butter sautee some garlic and shallot add the fiddleheads, deglaze with some white wine, add a grating of parmigiana, season then take it over to the garbage can and dump it in. Cheers.

You certainly could : but to me, rice pud and B&B pud are just dull and boring!

You certainly could : but to me, rice pud and B&B pud are just dull and boring!

Oh well... I tried (see above)

Me for example, when I cook fiddleheads I do a quick blanch then in a little butter sautee some garlic and shallot add the fiddleheads, deglaze with some white wine, add a grating of parmigiana, season then take it over to the garbage can and dump it in.

I have to say I've never eaten fiddleheads but would love to try them. They are not available here as far as I know. I don't know why as ferns grow here. I think I would like them as I tend to like any green vegetable. What is it you don't like about them?

Now I am eating some leftover apple cobbler...I think I will stop after that!

Oh well... I tried (see above)

I have to say I've never eaten fiddleheads but would love to try them. They are not available here as far as I know. I don't know why as ferns grow here. I think I would like them as I tend to like any green vegetable. What is it you don't like about them?
Similar to lawn cuttings imo. They are full of vitamins and minerals and low in calories but they're only available for about 2 weeks, and I generally go to a particular secret place to forage them, but it's been a few years. I have eaten them over the years and they're "ok" but not a vegetable I would consume very often.

They need to be blanched first since Heath Canada has encountered food poisoning from eating them raw and recommends people blanch first.

Back
Top Bottom