The Left Over Thread

Our leftover salad:

That’s the kofta from a couple of nights ago, heated up to just a little past room temp, and the lime-yogurt sauce thinned out with some buttermilk to make a salad dressing. Salad was heavy on cucumber, tomato, and red onion, to go with the meat. The rest of the naan on the side.

I just ate some leftover pork ribs from 5 days ago and now a bowl of pork tenderlion fried frice leftover from just a couple days ago.

What's the "oldest" leftovers you ever ate and didn't get sick? I have never gotten sick from eating leftovers. I have read that one should toss after 5 days, but I have to say, I have pushed that out to more like 8 days before. I tend to keep my leftovers in the top left side of my refrigerator where it stays the coldest, and I mostly use Pyrex containers with tight-fitting lids, so the food seems to stay fresher that way. Just curious about other people's experience with this. We did have a thread about "best buy" dates but can't recall one about how long leftovers are safely consumed.

I just ate some leftover pork ribs from 5 days ago and now a bowl of pork tenderlion fried frice leftover from just a couple days ago.

What's the "oldest" leftovers you ever ate and didn't get sick? I have never gotten sick from eating leftovers. I have read that one should toss after 5 days, but I have to say, I have pushed that out to more like 8 days before. I tend to keep my leftovers in the top left side of my refrigerator where it stays the coldest, and I mostly use Pyrex containers with tight-fitting lids, so the food seems to stay fresher that way. Just curious about other people's experience with this. We did have a thread about "best buy" dates but can't recall one about how long leftovers are safely consumed.
I know I had something in my fridge a week ago that was about 6 or possibly 7 days old at that point. I re-cooked it hard (it was chicken thighs), ate it, no ill effects. I wouldn't have had it just cold from the fridge, though.

I know I had something in my fridge a week ago that was about 6 or possibly 7 days old at that point. I re-cooked it hard (it was chicken thighs), ate it, no ill effects. I wouldn't have had it just cold from the fridge, though.
Agreed, I have done the same with chicken, reheat and eat. Fish, never more than 2-3 days (cooked). I have had a bit of leftover raw sushi before the following day, but never would I ever eat it further out from that. I still would prefer to guess exactly how much I can consume without being overly full and not having any leftovers.

But I don't like eating cold leftovers from what was once a hot meal. I will eat leftover salad, and that I would give it a lookover and if nothing looked wilted or spoilt, I would give it a go after 4 days still.

Never ever ever under any circumstance ever do I eat any leftovers past three days.
I guess Mountain Cat and I live on the edge, LOL!

What about lunch meat? What's the longest you will eat it after purchasing? Because often it was cooked a few days before they sliced it, then it sits in your refrigerator for a couple more days (or more) before it gets turned into sammiches.

Bearing in mind the total lack of dairy, meat, fish and so on in my diet, i simply work on the grounds that if it looks and tastes good, it is probably fine. But I'll add, I've lived all if my life on untreated water and i know that that does make a huge difference to what i can eat or drink and not get sick from. Food poisoning isn't something I'm familiar with.

(When I first met my husband, water from mountain streams would make him ill or give him excessive wind or just feel queasy, that I was totally fine with. So for about a decade, all the water we carried was primarily for him and I'd drink from mountain streams, creeks, rivers and lakes without treating the water. Luckily he has adapted to untreated water but it did take a lot of doing. Ironically the only water I've really had issues with was from a tap in a hotel in Macedonia. )

Rice pudding is probably best assigned to the nearest dumpster.
That, and "bread and butter pudding" are two of the dessert dishes I would classify as " Worst Ever..."
:eek: :happy::happy::happy::happy:
Rice pudding might be my all-time favorite dessert. It was the only way my Mom ever prepared rice when I was a kid. I knew from the TV that people in Asia ate rice made differently, but I thought everyone in America only ever ate it as rice pudding.

I don’t mind bread-and-butter pudding, but I don’t flip out over it. Now, other more elaborate bread puddings…yes!

Back
Top Bottom