Recipe The "Un-Philly" Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich (Lettuce Wrap)

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
1:46 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
An Authentic Philadelphia cheese steak sandwich contains a bread roll (which I have omitted because I'd prefer lettuce...), thin-sliced or chopped ribeye steak, and (usually) Provolone cheese. The sandwich is a "trademark" in ways of Philadelphia. I have yet to eat a genuine one, though I've had nasty ones with poor meat in cafeterias over the years. My one and only trip to Philadelphia did not give me the opportunity to try the real thing - hey, it was a fifth grade one-day school class trip, and we ate whatever we got, no choices involved...)

So, yes, this is wrapped in Romaine lettuce.

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: 20 minutes.
Rest Time: de nada
Serves: One each.
Cuisine: American.
Leftovers: Cook the meat and onions, just don’t assemble. Reheat that part briefly, add the cheese, then plate onto the lettuce and devour.

philly served.jpg

The “Un-Philly” Cheesesteak

• 5 ounces / 150 grams of thinly-sliced beef steak (after any fat cap removal). Ribeye is traditional, I used NY strip. Boneless is important.
  • 1/2 small onion, sliced and chopped.
  • 2 slices provolone cheese.
  • 1 tablespoon butter or avocado oil.
  • Salt and pepper to taste – I used probably 1/16th a teaspoon of the former – if that, and maybe 1/8th teaspoon of the latter. (Let your own tastes be your guide!)
  • Two nice leaves of Romaine lettuce.

A hint for the steak – freeze for about 45 minutes prior to slicing, this will help you make thinner slices. If you have a deli slicer (lucky you!) you can probably even get the slices thinner, but not essential. You definitely want to discard any fat cap or fatty regions.

Add the salt and pepper to the beef, mix a bit, and let sit at room temp for around 20 minutes.

Take the butter or avo oil, and heat in a skillet on medium. When the butter or oil is hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent, or even a little bit brown.

Add the beef to the skillet and saute for 5 or 8 minutes, or to your preferred level of done-ness.

Drape the cheese over for another 30 or so seconds.

Using a spatula, fold the meat and onions with cheese into a Romaine leaf, arranging everything to your satisfaction.

Cover with the second leaf and serve. You probably won’t be able to eat this with your hands, so have a knife and fork at the ready.

This was quite good! I’m very glad I didn’t try to find some appropriate bread, but that’s up to you. If you do use bread, I’d want to toast it in the skillet. And this dish is reasonably fast to make, so will be good on a hot evening.

I've never had provolone cheese - I know its much used in America but not so often seen in the UK. However, I found that my on-line supermarket stocks it - so its in my next shop. It comes as mild, strong or smoked. I chose strong.

I've never had provolone cheese - I know its much used in America but not so often seen in the UK. However, I found that my on-line supermarket stocks it - so its in my next shop. It comes as mild, strong or smoked. I chose strong.

I'd choose strong, too. I've never had it smoked, but would like to try that.

Back
Top Bottom