The Wild Card Challenge: make a dessert from onions.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:44 AM
The Wild card Challenge is a new addition to CookingBites. The concept is simple and non-competitive. No deadline is set. But when things peter out, a new topic is set. Its all about wild and wacky ideas and/or thinking out of the box. And who better to host the challenge than our very own @The Late Night Gourmet, who is well known here for his inventive approach to cooking. A big thanks to @The Late Night Gourmet for taking this on. :bravo:

I'm looking forward to the results of this and future challenges.

The current challenge is to make a dessert from onions. Photos and ideas in this thread and recipes posted as new threads please!

Mod. Edit:
first few posts have been moved to start new thread

Last edited:
I found a recipe that's unmistakably a dessert, and it uses onions:

19801-6949-mx.jpg

This is a Caramelized Chocolate Onion Cake, and I have to admit I'm intrigued. But, I wonder if this is going to be a recipe where I say, great taste...except for the onion flavor.

The first thing that pops into my head is dessert onion rings lol. I mean, I fricken love onion rings. I'm not sure how I would do it. I think if we do a cook along this will be my entry.

I don't know about desert onion rings. Buy I do think that onion rings can be diced up and put into something greater. For a desert using onions, I would also look to pearl onions and scallions.

Mine is coming up tomorrow, whether or not it works I will post the result. Tonight I've caramelised the onions. Tomorrow I do the rest. I'm toying with the idea of including pomegranate seeds, thereby killing two birds with one stone.:D I suppose I could always include sumac (Spice of the Month: Sumac) and go for a hat trick!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom