The world food top 50 according to CNN

What an odd list....so many clichés and inaccuracies :meh: I suppose any such list is always going to be very subjective, though this one does seem to be more focused towards asian food. Having said that, I do like a good rendang :hungry:

I agree. Maybe they should have called it “ the world Asian food top....”

Wow, the top ten were Asian, half of it Thai. 30 out of 50 were Asian. That seems to be the hipster thing lately.

Hipster? Dad got me interested in Asian foods back over 40 years ago, when we'd moved to New York City, and he cruised the groceries of Chinatown. And we hit as many Thai restaurants as possible. He just wanted to try everything he could, at least once. Growing up in the South, where they overcook their veggies - up here in the Northeast he was like a kid in a candy shop. Nothing "hipster" about that!

I'm still fascinated. Because much of Asian food is GOOD!

I will admit I've never tried beef rendang, but would love to do so.

I'm not sure this is valid stats, though. FB? I mean??

Just did some quick research. Over 1 Billion Facebook users are from Asia, with 270-million from India -- the largest of any single country. 385-million are from Europe, and 190-million from the US.

About 60 percent of FB users are between 18-24 years old. Millennials.

CD

Hipster? Dad got me interested in Asian foods back over 40 years ago, when we'd moved to New York City, and he cruised the groceries of Chinatown. And we hit as many Thai restaurants as possible. He just wanted to try everything he could, at least once. Growing up in the South, where they overcook their veggies - up here in the Northeast he was like a kid in a candy shop. Nothing "hipster" about that!

I'm still fascinated. Because much of Asian food is GOOD!

I will admit I've never tried beef rendang, but would love to do so.

I'm not sure this is valid stats, though. FB? I mean??

Nothing against Asian food, and I like to experiment with new tastes, but when 30 out of 50 of the best foods in the world are Asian, while France and Italy get croissants and fettuccini Alfredo, you kind of have to wonder.

And, at least around here, Asian food has become pretty hipster.

CD

My personal 50, I don't even know if I could do that. In no particular order:

Pizza
Burgers
Fries
Fish and Chips
Roast beef Sunday lunch
Full English breakfast
Sausages (which should be their own list)
Chicken parm
Veal parm
Spaghetti and meatballs
Ravioli
Tacos
Fajitas
Eggs (another one for its own list)
Steak
Pork Chops
Pork Ribs
Beets
Celery
Onions
Tomatoes
Carrots
Potatoes in general
Chili
Bean soup
Cornbread in buttermilk
Waffles
Bacon
Biscuits in the American sense
Biscuits in the British sense
Gravy. Gravy everywhere.
BBQ chicken
Fried chicken
Tuna salad
Club sandwiches
Grilled Cheese
Goulash
Meat pies (they also need their own list)
Cake
Pears
Plums
Brazil nuts
Ham
All manner of salami
Cheese
Cookies
Stromboli
Banoffee Pie
Boiled dinner
Potstickers

Is that 50? I didn't even really get to much German food. 🤷🏻‍♂️

burgers fries should be right near the top IMHO. But having travelled in Asia I see where the populace would figure in this. If it's as Craig says millennials , I disagree ,millenials wouldn't answer or know most of those foods. I have beef rendang on top of my foods to make. I've just nailed Thai red, green, yellow curry pastes.

Russ

burgers fries should be right near the top IMHO. But having travelled in Asia I see where the populace would figure in this. If it's as Craig says millennials , I disagree ,millenials wouldn't answer or know most of those foods. I have beef rendang on top of my foods to make. I've just nailed Thai red, green, yellow curry pastes.

Russ

Oh, around here, Millennials know all about foreign foods, and don't want to eat food that "old people" like me eat. They drink five dollar lattes and eat whatever is marketed as "authentic" street food from other countries. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem eating Korean BBQ one day, but then follow that up with pizza the next day, and a cheeseburger and fries the day after that. I like variety.

CD

Oh, around here, Millennials know all about foreign foods, and don't want to eat food that "old people" like me eat. They drink five dollar lattes and eat whatever is marketed as "authentic" street food from other countries. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem eating Korean BBQ one day, but then follow that up with pizza the next day, and a cheeseburger and fries the day after that. I like variety.

CD
A few years ago, we met my niece and her husband for a meal out, and they happen to occupy that generational group you mention, and I do enjoy their company, because they're fully aware of their hipster attitudes and they own it, so it's all ok.

Anyway, we met at a Chinese place that had two menus; one was Chinese-American standards, like beef and broccoli and General Tso's chicken, and the flip side was authentic Chinese food, prepared just like in China, and I didn't even recognize much on it, except there was a dish with chicken feet, because I commented that my born-and-raised Kentucky grandmother loved chicken feet.

As soon as they sat down, they announced they'd be ordering off the "authentic" menu, naturally, and laughed when I stuck with my fried rice and egg roll combo.

They brought their food out, I don't even know what it was, and let's just say that they had about two bites of each dish, then said they weren't that hungry, though they tried pretty good-sized samples of our "fake Chinese" food, and then she let slip a couple of days later that they'd stopped for fries and milkshakes on the way home! :laugh:

CD

I prefer variety, too. I eat diner food and Asian food - as often as possible. (And, other foods.) Alas, where I live now, unless I want to drive a ways, I'm mostly going to have to make my own Asian foods - not really a problem, but I'd love to try things like rendang before I make them myself.

Around here, there's a lot of focus on "minimalize the seasonings and spices" - alas.

CD

I'm pretty much the same, Indian is very very popular here for young and middle aged. Hipsters here are all about beards and drinking.

Russ

They brought their food out, I don't even know what it was, and let's just say that they had about two bites of each dish, then said they weren't that hungry, though they tried pretty good-sized samples of our "fake Chinese" food, and then she let slip a couple of days later that they'd stopped for fries and milkshakes on the way home! :laugh:
Hey, at least they tried it - a lot of people wouldn't have even given it a chance :okay: Tho not cool to laugh at you for sticking with what you know.
Hopefully they've not been put of trying new things, but maybe next time they should hedge their bet and go for one authentic dish and one amercian-chinese dish and share them just in case ;-)

Hey, at least they tried it - a lot of people wouldn't have even given it a chance :okay: Tho not cool to laugh at you for sticking with what you know.
Hopefully they've not been put of trying new things, but maybe next time they should hedge their bet and go for one authentic dish and one amercian-chinese dish and share them just in case ;-)

At 58 years old, I have eaten and cooked a lot of food. If someone tells me to "try this," I can ask what is in it, and pretty much know whether or not I want to try it. Example: Try this? What is it? Yak testicles. I've never had Yak testicles, but I've eaten the testicles of enough animals to know that I don't really need to try Yak testicles. My friends have coerced me into eating every kind of sushi roll imaginable, and haven't liked any of them. First thing, get the #%@&ing seaweed off of my food. It is like eating grass clippings to me. But, I digress.

If the list of best foods had 50 foods somewhat equally distributed all over the world, I'd be interested in trying the ones I had never eaten. But to have 30 out of 50 from one region -- I'm not buying into that.

CD

My personal 50, I don't even know if I could do that. In no particular order:

Pizza
Burgers
Fries
Fish and Chips
Roast beef Sunday lunch
Full English breakfast
Sausages (which should be their own list)
Chicken parm
Veal parm
Spaghetti and meatballs
Ravioli
Tacos
Fajitas
Eggs (another one for its own list)
Steak
Pork Chops
Pork Ribs
Beets
Celery
Onions
Tomatoes
Carrots
Potatoes in general
Chili
Bean soup
Cornbread in buttermilk
Waffles
Bacon
Biscuits in the American sense
Biscuits in the British sense
Gravy. Gravy everywhere.
BBQ chicken
Fried chicken
Tuna salad
Club sandwiches
Grilled Cheese
Goulash
Meat pies (they also need their own list)
Cake
Pears
Plums
Brazil nuts
Ham
All manner of salami
Cheese
Cookies
Stromboli
Banoffee Pie
Boiled dinner
Potstickers

Is that 50? I didn't even really get to much German food. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just out of curiosity, what are chicken and veal parm? “Parm” is referred to Parmesan or Parma ham?

Just did some quick research. Over 1 Billion Facebook users are from Asia, with 270-million from India -- the largest of any single country. 385-million are from Europe, and 190-million from the US.

About 60 percent of FB users are between 18-24 years old. Millennials.

CD

Sorry, millenials are from 1980 to 2000. I am from 1987 and 32, and thats a millenial for you.
You are talking about gen Z, and those are my stepkids.

Sorry everyone for being a millenial btw, we're the root of everything wrong with the world according to the news 😏

Back
Top Bottom