The wrong and ( too) early Christmas exitement thread

Merry Christmas to All of you ✨💫

Okay, some American/English help, here. What a jumper has always meant where I have lived is a type of dress, worn by women (and a certain Lumberjack :wink: Monty Python mod).

CD

It's what we (US) call a sweater. I have been watching some comedians from the UK for the past several months and couldn't figure out why men were talking about jumpers (since, as you stated, it's attire for females) and finally looked it up. I still don't understand the WHY behind the name. ;-0

My gifts:

My wife messed up on the Le Creuset - I sent her a link to a carbon steel Dutch oven that I wanted, because the heavy cast iron ones are too much, with my bad hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. I just can't manage them without much difficulty.

Well, for whatever reason, instead of just buying it from Amazon using the link I gave, she looked it up and ordered it from Sur La Table instead...and ordered the ale Creuset. Of course, they won't take it back for a cash refund, only for in-store credit, and they're not selling the carbon steel one any longer. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So she feels rather foolish right now.

Oh well, I don't get bent out of shape over stuff like this, it's more or less fixable.

The bread baker...straight from Germany, and they make a pan with a lid, which would have been fantastic, but she got the open one only, and it's freaking huuuggggeee! The lidded one can be used for bread or roasts or whatever - I think this is just limited to bread only, but if I ask her to exchange that after the Dutch oven mess-up, she'll be inconsolable...so big loaves of bread it is. If anyone has any experience with these, I'd appreciate some tips.

Oh, I also got a pair of over-the-ankle waterproof slippers, but they're over by the door.

Altoids, Extreme Stick, Flosser & Pick. WTF were you thinking? :laugh:

That's the kind of stuff my family gets as stocking stuffers, so it didn't surprise me.

It would be considered weird in the UK to give such things as stocking fillers. In fact it would probably be considered a bit insulting. This is not a criticism. I'm fascinated by cultural differences.

It would be considered weird in the UK to give such things as stocking fillers. In fact it would probably be considered a bit insulting. This is not a criticism. I'm fascinated by cultural differences.
The idea is to get a mix of little Christmassy sweet things, like the candy and shortbread, along with little useful personal things, like nail files and such.

Traditionally, these are all bought at the corner drugstore/chemist, which has both the little foodstuffs and an aisle of travel-sized personal items, and we usually spend around $20 each person.

I can't say I'm crazy about the whole thing, but I'm used to it. I don't know how widespread it is.

CD

I know what you mean. I never knew what to get for my in-laws. One year, I bought my MIL a $150 gift basket from "Bath and Body Works". She was VERY offended. I was embarrassed beyond belief. I've since learned that anything like that is some kind of passive-aggressive way of saying that someone doesn't have good hygiene.

In my family, my mother just tells me directly that she hates what I bought and my father just rewraps presents and gives them to homeless people. No hidden messages there. After that year, I just gave my in-laws gift certificates and washed my hands of trying to play "Guess what they want" since they rarely spoke to me and their son (hubby) was no help in that department.

One year, I bought my MIL a $150 gift basket from "Bath and Body Works". She was VERY offended.

Oh - that would be fine. I often get bath stuff for Christmas. In fact its probably the standard present for females. Its bad that your MIL reacted in that way. Its when it gets down to the underarm deodorant or teeth flossing it gets tricky!

• Lol or Haha
Reactions: mjd
Well, I'm sad to say MrsT cut her fingertip earlier, but am happy to report that she was able to immediately put to use the fingertip & knuckle band-aids/plasters she found in her stocking last night. 😬

Back
Top Bottom