Things Done On or With Toast

I'm a big fan of toast, and for the purposes of my answer, I'm mainly talking about dry bread toasted in a toaster or under a broiler/grill, and not about bread fried in oil or in a pan (though those are fine as well - fried bread is really hard to beat).

Toast - I like it with plain butter, or with Nutella added, or peanut butter, or any kind of fruit spread, that's the most common way. MrsT likes peanut butter and honey.

The only two sandwiches I make with toast are club sandwiches and BLTs, though I prefer my BLT with untoasted bread.

I also like serving scrambled eggs atop a single piece of buttered toast.

I like my toast to cool off in a toast rack for a few minutes before buttering, because I don't really like the butter to melt, but I seem to be in the minority in this country for that. Most people (including my wife) like to have the butter melt into the bread.

I'm on another board where an American complained recently about going to London and finding "all the toast, cold and in these stupid little racks on the tables at breakfast!" - I just had to send her a picture of the toast rack I use nearly every day, here in Ohio!" 😬

SOS is chipped beef (I believe corn beef) in a white gravy made from butter, flour and milk.

I like my toast to cool off in a toast rack for a few minutes before buttering, because I don't really like the butter to melt, but I seem to be in the minority in this country for that. Most people (including my wife) like to have the butter melt into the bread.

A bit of both for me.

Waiting on my toast to cool down:

I'm a big fan of toast, and for the purposes of my answer, I'm mainly talking about dry bread toasted in a toaster or under a broiler/grill, and not about bread fried in oil or in a pan (though those are fine as well - fried bread is really hard to beat).

Toast - I like it with plain butter, or with Nutella added, or peanut butter, or any kind of fruit spread, that's the most common way. MrsT likes peanut butter and honey.

The only two sandwiches I make with toast are club sandwiches and BLTs, though I prefer my BLT with untoasted bread.

I also like serving scrambled eggs atop a single piece of buttered toast.

I'm on another board where an American complained recently about going to London and finding "all the toast, cold and in these stupid little racks on the tables at breakfast!" - I just had to send her a picture of the toast rack I use nearly every day, here in Ohio!" 😬
IMG_5681.JPG

I'm with you TR!
I'd rather my butter doesn't melt into my toast, it makes it soggy, as well I leave it cool a bit so that the condensation from the heat dissipates before applying butter.

Something that is on my culinary bucket list:
Louisville's Infamous Hot Brown

I could've kicked myself, we went to The Brown Hotel for lunch after visiting the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory and did not order a Hot Brown because I do not care for Tomatoes, not knowing that I could have asked for them to be left out 🤬

Something that is on my culinary bucket list:
Louisville's Infamous Hot Brown

I could've kicked myself, we went to The Brown Hotel for lunch after visiting the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory and did not order a Hot Brown because I do not care for Tomatoes, not knowing that I could have asked for them to be left out 🤬

Sounds rather good. In fact, its seems to have roots in a cheese rarebit - but why turkey rather than chicken? I don't know the culture at all really but I don't associate turkey with Louisville. I am waiting to be corrected...

Sounds rather good. In fact, its seems to have roots in a cheese rarebit - but why turkey rather than chicken? I don't know the culture at all really but I don't associate turkey with Louisville. I am waiting to be corrected...

Morning Glory

I was browsing posts offline when I saw this one. You could not be more wrong about Louisville and turkeys. Kentucky is a turkey farming state. Lots of turkeys are grown and butchered in Kentucky, around Louisville.

I found one of those question and answer things on the web, asking "How many turkey farms are in Kentucky?" The answer was 672.

I hope that clears up any doubts you had about Louisville and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom