Things Done On or With Toast

Sounds rather good. In fact, its seems to have roots in a cheese rarebit - but why turkey rather than chicken? I don't know the culture at all really but I don't associate turkey with Louisville. I am waiting to be corrected...
And here's what I found from What's Cooking America.com :

"History of Hot Brown Sandwich:

1926 – Chef Fred K. Schmidt at the Camberley Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, created the Hot Brown Sandwich in 1926. In the 1920s, the Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. The band would play until late, and when the band took bread, around midnight; people would retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Bored with the traditional ham and eggs, Chef Schmidt, delighted his guests by creating the Hot Brown.

The following story, about the creation of the Hot Brown sandwich, by Rudy Suck, hotel manager during the 1920s, was given to me by the Camberley Brown Hotel:

The Hot Brown was developed three or four years after the hotel opened when the supper dance business was falling off. The band would play from 10:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. When they took a break, around midnight, people would order food. It was usually ham and eggs.

We decided we needed something new. The chef, Fred K. Schmidt, said, “I have an idea for an open-faced turkey sandwich with Mornay sauce over it.” At that time turkeys were only used at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they had just started selling them year-round:

I said, “That sounds a little flat.”

The chef said, “I’m going to put it under the broiler.”

The maitre d’ said, “It should have a little color, too.”

So Schmidt said, “We’ll put two strips of bacon on top of it.”

I said, “How about some pimiento.”

That’s how the Hot brown came to be.

Today the Hot Brown sandwich is still a Louisville favorite and still the signature dish of the Camberley Brown Hotel. A visit to Louisville is not complete without tasting this wonderful sandwich."

<edit - And this article is pretty interesting too:
How the Gooey, Cheesy Hot Brown Became a Kentucky Icon

Last edited:
@Morning Glory

I was browsing posts offline when I saw this one. You could not be more wrong about Louisville and turkeys. Kentucky is a turkey farming state. Lots of turkeys are grown and butchered in Kentucky, around Louisville.

I found one of those question and answer things on the web, asking "How many turkey farms are in Kentucky?" The answer was 672.

I hope that clears up any doubts you had about Louisville and turkeys.

I stand corrected! I really didn't know that.

Indeed it does. I have a little left, saved for a special dish.

For those who don't know, rascal sent me a bottle of his wonderful chilli sauce a while ago - all the way from NZ to UK. Its great stuff.

Just done another batch, I'll get my son to test it for hotness. Is that a word??
I know your heat.

Russ

Something that is on my culinary bucket list:
Louisville's Infamous Hot Brown

I could've kicked myself, we went to The Brown Hotel for lunch after visiting the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory and did not order a Hot Brown because I do not care for Tomatoes, not knowing that I could have asked for them to be left out 🤬
That's the recipe I use, and i do use the tomatoes though slice them rather thinly. I'm not all that fond of thickly sliced tomatoes. Anyway, i can attest that it is quite good.

I had an idea for a coffee shop that was all about toast and anything you could put on it from toasted banana bread to pizza toast..multiple bread selections, toppings, spreads, combinations, etc...and maybe even couches with televisions and coffee tables..Hipster heaven
Were you going to call it "Roast and Toast" or what?

Chipped beef and gravy on toast, aka 💩 on a shingle, or SOS.
SOS can vary from region to region. My mom's was a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of tuna, and some peas heated up on the stove and poured over toast. We ate it fairly regularly growing up because it was cheap and easy and no one really complained.

Here´s a couple of Italian "Toast" ideas.
The first one is with roasted cherry peppers and fresh artichoke hearts. It´s quite likely I added an olive or two and an anchovy or two, because I just love the combination.
The second photo is slow-roasted fennel bulbs. From a crispy crunchy vegetable to add to a salad, roasting turns the fennel into a sweet, unctuous, aniseed mouthful which almost falls apart on the plate.

Back
Top Bottom