This is one of my favorite Cheese sites

Wisconsin is certainly proud of their cheese, and for good reason. Green Bay Packers football fans are called "Cheeseheads," and wear "cheesehead hats" to show it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 4.06.40 PM.png

CD

The Nduja looks good. Nduja and cheese is a great combination.

I have never had 'Nduja. I know it was really popular with the hipsters a few years ago, and it looks and sounds like it is good. I've read that it is good with some cheeses -- stronger cheeses?

CD

I have never had 'Nduja. I know it was really popular with the hipsters a few years ago, and it looks and sounds like it is good. I've read that it is good with some cheeses -- stronger cheeses?

CD
Personally, I prefer it with milder, creamier cheeses such as Brie or Camembert. These compliment the smokey heat of the Nduja. Just a personal opinion - others may disagree!

Me too - and smelly as old socks too - The French Epoisses, Munster & Pont l'Évêque are amongst favourites
One of MrsTasty's favorite sandwiches is Limburger and raw onion on rye. It's always on offer at all the German festivals around here, and as soon as we get past the gate, the strategy is that she heads for the sandwich vendor while I head to the beer tent, and we meet back in the middle. :)

One of MrsTasty's favorite sandwiches is Limburger and raw onion on rye. It's always on offer at all the German festivals around here, and as soon as we get past the gate, the strategy is that she heads for the sandwich vendor while I head to the beer tent, and we meet back in the middle. :)

Never had Limburger - is it strong and pongy?

Mmmmmm cheese....one of the (many) reasons I could never be vegan!

We have a farm shop nearby that has a cheese room - they have a huge selection of cheeses...some well-known ones, and others a bit more unusual. For our wedding anniversary during lockdown we ordered some cheeses from them that we'd never tried before: Tornegus (fairly soft and quite a pungent taste), Ossau Iraty (sheeps milk, quite hard and very nice), Lyburn Garlic & Nettle (my favourite of the four - just delicious!), and Cornish Kern (again a hard cheese, works well as a Parmesan substitute). Ordering was via phone and unfortunately I delegated the cheese ordering to hubby....he had no idea how much to ask for, so rather than asking me or even checking the weight of the cheese already in the fridge he just went ahead and ordered half a kilo of each one :eek: Its a good job we liked them all!

Never had Limburger - is it strong and pongy?

This is from Wikipedia:

In its first month, the cheese is firmer and more crumbly, similar to the texture of feta cheese. After about six weeks, the cheese becomes softer along the edges but is still firm on the inside and can be described as salty and chalky. After two months of its life, it is mostly creamy and much smoother. Once it reaches three months, the cheese produces its notorious smell because of the bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and many other smear-ripened cheeses.[8] This is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor and particularly foot odor.[3]

So yes, I'd say it's pongy. :)

Back
Top Bottom