Recipe Thyme cheese

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
4:49 PM
Thyme cheese
juu_d.jpg

Serves 4-6 | Preparation 10 min; cooling and draining 6-12 hours

There’s nothing better with crackers than homemade cream cheese.

Ingredients
2 eggs​
150 g/5.3 oz (153 ml/0.65 cups) crème fraîche​
a big handful (120 ml/0.5 cups) of fresh, chopped thyme​
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar/white balsamic or apple cider vinegar​
1 teaspoon salt​
¼ teaspoon sugar​
¼ teaspoon (finely ground) instant espresso powder (optional; works well with thyme)​
200 ml/0.85 cups skimmed milk​

Instructions
1. Mix all ingredients except the skimmed milk in a blender.​
2. Heat up the milk in a skillet/frying pan on medium heat until near boiling point.​
3. Add the contents of the blender and mix until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken.​
4. Take aside and let curdle and cool for 30 minutes.​
5. Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place it in top of a large bowl.​
6. Pour the cheese mixture into the sieve and place another cheesecloth on top.​
7. Add a weight (e.g. a tiny oven dish/ramekin) and let cool for another 10-15 minutes.​
8. Put the whole gadget in the fridge and let the cheese drain for 6-12 hours.​
9. Remove the weight and upper cheesecloth. Discard the whey (or use it in a savory dough).​
10. Lift the cheese with the lower cheesecloth and flip it carefully on a serving plate.​
juu_a.jpg

How clever, love it! I never thought about eggs being in cheese.

This is a fascinating idea. I like the touch of espresso powder. I can absolutely see that subtly bringing out the thyme flavour.

However, having made home-made cream cheese lots of times, I'm not quite sure what the eggs are contributing here.

Well, egg cheese is very common in Finland - and considered a delicacy. The taste is quite bland without extra condiments or spices. Eggs give the cheese sturdiness and pleasant flavo(u)r and act as an extra emulsifier.

Last edited:
Well, egg cheese is very common in Finland - and considered a delicacy. The taste is of quite bland without extra condiments or spices. Eggs give the cheese sturdiness and pleasant flavo(u)r and act as an extra emulsifier.
Very nice Hemulen, I make ricotta and paneer quite a bit but I'm going to give this a try with the eggs and creme fraiche, makes total sense I've just never seen this before. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom