Tinned or fresh tomatoes when making sauce?

[Mod.Edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

Growing up my family always made tomato sauce with store bought peeled tomato cans. When I grew up and started cooking for myself, I decided to make tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, and I never went back. Until last week, I wanted to cook bolognese and bought canned peeled tomatoes because I was out of time and the cans are cheaper than the fresh tomatoes anyway. I was reminded why I switched to fresh tomatoes, the taste is completely different, I just can't bring myself to like the canned stuffed anymore.
I always used tinned tomatoes until last year. Tired of tasteless shop bought tomatoes, my wife decided to try growing her own. Despite not really knowing how to do it, she got an abundance of them, so many we didn't know what to do with them all. I used some to make a sauce and, I agree, the taste was completely different. I'm back to tinned at the moment until she grows some more.

I have tinned tomatoes in the cupboard. I also usually have fresh tomatoes in the fridge (although our fresh tomatoes are not the best), and peeled skinned tomatoes and liquidised tomatoes in the freezer. I never, ever put un-skinned tomatoes in a chilli or curry.

I have tinned tomatoes in the cupboard. I also usually have fresh tomatoes in the fridge (although our fresh tomatoes are not the best), and peeled skinned tomatoes and liquidised tomatoes in the freezer. I never, ever put un-skinned tomatoes in a chilli or curry.

How in the wide, wide world of cooking sports, do you skin a tomato?

How in the wide, wide world of cooking sports, do you skin a tomato?

Piece o' pish - drop them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, allow them to cool and then just pull the skin off.

tomatoespeeled.jpg

Piece o' pish - drop them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, allow them to cool and then just pull the skin off.

View attachment 58552
I did this only once and found it too much hassle so now I always cook tomato sauce with skins, yes you notice the skins but doesn't bother me enough to make me want to skin tomatoes.

I did this only once and found it too much hassle so now I always cook tomato sauce with skins, yes you notice the skins but doesn't bother me enough to make me want to skin tomatoes.

Unfortunately at my age, albeit I still have all my own teeth, the skins stick in the gaps between my teeth and can be very irritating.

I do 20-25 liters for the freezer from our garden tomatoes - they wind up in quart/liter size bags.
since I may use them for many things - they are cooked to 'stewed tomato' consistency - and if I want 'sauce' I'll cook them down more. our primary use is for pizza - I mechanically 'dewater' them (drain thru sieve....) use the stick blender to create chunky style adding back juice to get the right consistency...

I never use tinned tomatoes for anything. I have to confess that I find them utterly vile. If I'm just throwing some tomatoes into a curry or such like, I'll put up with the standard ones, even though they are essentially red balls of water. If I actually want to taste the things properly, I use vine tomatoes or little cherry or plum ones. I'm quite happy to cook with the small ones.

I'm with Duck - canned tomatoes have a 'off taste' to me.
many brands are over-processed (imho) to the point the taste is more like ketchup than tomato.

I'm with Duck - canned tomatoes have a 'off taste' to me.
many brands are over-processed (imho) to the point the taste is more like ketchup than tomato.
Now that you mention, tinned tomatoes do have a resemblance to ketchup and I hate ketchup just the smell makes me nauseous.

Back
Top Bottom