Tinned tuna

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:02 PM
[Mod.Edit: This post copied and other few moved to start new thread]

Many grocery stores have them like that. If someone doesn't know what they are, I wonder how many try them out of curiosity? Like people eating canned tuna, Albacore is garbage IMO. Yellowfin (packed in olive oil), is a far superior product, especially brands from Spain or Italy. Some have tried Yellowfin on my recommendation and found out it is true.
I agree on the canned tuna (which is about the only seafood I do eat). I have to go to the specialty store here to get tuna packed in oil, though. Kroger doesn't carry it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree on the canned tuna (which is about the only seafood I do eat). I have to go to the specialty store here to get tuna packed in oil, though. Kroger doesn't carry it.

I'm not talking about "tuna" packed in olive oil. I'm being specific to the actual tuna. Yellowfin is the only tuna I or my wife will eat from a can/jar.

Actually, I'll only eat the really premium stuff, and it's not yellowfin. I'll eat both of these, but prefer the ventresca
41BY7TT6KAL.jpg

ZqL._SX679_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SX679SY501SH20_.jpg

They are both available on Amazon, but are fairly expensive. They have just the very tiniest bit of that smell generally associated with canned tuna, which is a HUGE turn off for me. You basically have to put your nose into the can to even get a hint of the smell. I don't even like to be in the house when a can of tuna is opened generally. We've yet to find them in a local store. These get used for Nicoise salad, not tuna salad. For that, Craig likes this the best, which we can get at the grocery, but it's actually cheaper on Amazon I just discovered, so we'll be getting it there from now on.
61OIl2nikmL.jpg

Actually, I'll only eat the really premium stuff, and it's not yellowfin. I'll eat both of these, but prefer the ventresca
.View attachment 38054
View attachment 38055

They are both available on Amazon, but are fairly expensive. They have just the very tiniest bit of that smell generally associated with canned tuna, which is a HUGE turn off for me. You basically have to put your nose into the can to even get a hint of the smell. I don't even like to be in the house when a can of tuna is opened generally. We've yet to find them in a local store. These get used for Nicoise salad, not tuna salad. For that, Craig likes this the best, which we can get at the grocery, but it's actually cheaper on Amazon I just discovered, so we'll be getting it there from now on.
View attachment 38056
I don't know what brand I buy, because I don't buy it very often. I just know it's Italian, in oil, it's expensive, and I have to get it from the gourmet shop.

The only way I ever eat tuna is in yer basic tuna salad sandwich, and I always double up the mayo. :)

I don't know what brand I buy, because I don't buy it very often. I just know it's Italian, in oil, it's expensive, and I have to get it from the gourmet shop.

The only way I ever eat tuna is in yer basic tuna salad sandwich, and I always double up the mayo. :)

It would be a shame to use mayo with the Ortiz brands, especially the Ventresca. Craig uses mayo to make his tuna salad with the Genova, but that's his and his alone. :stop: :D

They are both available on Amazon, but are fairly expensive

How much do you pay for these? I can get the one's shown below from my on-line supermarket Ocado. They are certainly not cheap. I wondered how they compare. I notice they do sardines & anchovies too.

.View attachment 38061
View attachment 38062

View attachment 38063

Thanks for the pics and description.. I don't buy much on Amazon but will be checking out the tunas you posted.

How much do you pay for these? I can get the one's shown below from my on-line supermarket Ocado. They are certainly not cheap. I wondered how they compare. I notice they do sardines & anchovies too.

Right now, it looks like it starts at $1.34 an ounce for the regular and goes up from there depending on vendor and how much you buy.

Same with ventresca starting at $2.35 an ounce.

Please note, these are the Bonito del norte, not the other tunas.

We bought a can of the Genova at the grocery Saturday for 1 of the cats that is being difficult, $2.69 for the can, 5 ounces. Believe it or not, neither one of them will eat wet cat food or people food, nor will they eat the treats I made for them with canned salmon and catnip a couple of weeks ago. A couple of years ago, we tried different tunas from Trader Joe's and a couple of the upscale markets, as well as the tuna from Amazon. Craig tried to give them some of the tuna he didn't like. Uhh, unh, they only wanted the good stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about "tuna" packed in olive oil. I'm being specific to the actual tuna. Yellowfin is the only tuna I or my wife will eat from a can/jar.

The only time I eat tuna is a sammich a work mate put me on to over 35 years ago. Tinned tuna in oil (drain the excess oil) then finely chopped onion and then home made Mayo mashed up. I make two huge sammiches about twice a year. I'm due now I've written about it.

Russ

The only time I eat tuna is a sammich a work mate put me on to over 35 years ago. Tinned tuna in oil (drain the excess oil) then finely chopped onion and then home made Mayo mashed up. I make two huge sammiches about twice a year. I'm due now I've written about it.

Russ
For me, it's tuna, and it's got to be mashed up with the fingers as fine as possible, some pickle relish, a bit of dill pickle juice, onion, celery, salt, pepper, and enough mayo to drown the taste of the tuna. :laugh:

I have an old friend from high school who lives in Alaska. She sends me smoked salmon from time to time, some of it in a can/tin. I whip it up with cream cheese and eat it on crackers.

As for canned tuna, I'm good for a good tuna salad sandwich. Tuna, mayonnaise, onion, celery and diced dill pickles all mixed up and served on bread with some lettuce (or just as a lettuce wrap).

I quickie version is canned tuna, Kraft Miracle Whip, pickle relish served on a roll with some potato chips -- yes, put the chips/crisps on the sandwich.

CD

I have an old friend from high school who lives in Alaska. She sends me smoked salmon from time to time, some of it in a can/tin. I whip it up with cream cheese and eat it on crackers.

As for canned tuna, I'm good for a good tuna salad sandwich. Tuna, mayonnaise, onion, celery and diced dill pickles all mixed up and served on bread with some lettuce (or just as a lettuce wrap).

I quickie version is canned tuna, Kraft Miracle Whip, pickle relish served on a roll with some potato chips -- yes, put the chips/crisps on the sandwich.

CD
We were in Alaska in 2012, and we went out to a salmon fishery that did tours and talked all about salmon, and the differences between the different ways it's raised, ultimately leading to the conclusion that only their salmon was the one you should buy. :)

They had big bowls of salmon spread set out, more or less as you described, mixed with cream cheese and maybe some chives or dill or whatever.

Everyone tried it, and it was like some kind of food orgasm, they couldn't shut up about how good it was, eyes were crossing, people just flipped right out over it.

Against my better judgment, I tried it. My head kept saying, "You don't like fish, numpty," but my heart kept saying, "All these people can't be wrong, try it!"

I tried it. It came out of my mouth faster than it went in. :laugh: :sick:

We were in Alaska in 2012, and we went out to a salmon fishery that did tours and talked all about salmon, and the differences between the different ways it's raised, ultimately leading to the conclusion that only their salmon was the one you should buy. :)

They had big bowls of salmon spread set out, more or less as you described, mixed with cream cheese and maybe some chives or dill or whatever.

Everyone tried it, and it was like some kind of food orgasm, they couldn't shut up about how good it was, eyes were crossing, people just flipped right out over it.

Against my better judgment, I tried it. My head kept saying, "You don't like fish, numpty," but my heart kept saying, "All these people can't be wrong, try it!"

I tried it. It came out of my mouth faster than it went in. :laugh: :sick:
That would be my wife if she tried it,lol.

Russ

Right now, it looks like it starts at $1.34 an ounce for the regular and goes up from there depending on vendor and how much you buy.

Same with ventresca starting at $2.35 an ounce.

Please note, these are the Bonita del norte, not the other tunas.

The most expensive is the Ventresca, as you say: the one below translates to $14.26 for just under 4 ounces. So maybe its more expensive here.

Back
Top Bottom