Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dark clear liquid on the top is the natural preservative & where all the flavour is. Assuming there is no mould, it's fine. Mine is exactly the same. It will need more than a single feed to wake it up though!

OK. I'll go on a mould checking mission when I summon up courage.

My first loaf.

Some quick focaccia (needed for an upcoming recipe):

And to give you an idea of how rugged today’s dried yeast is, I wasn’t paying attention and poured boiling water straight from the kettle onto the dry ingredients, which included the yeast. So much for “110F to 115F or you’ll kill it!”

Some quick focaccia (needed for an upcoming recipe):

View attachment 89280
And to give you an idea of how rugged today’s dried yeast is, I wasn’t paying attention and poured boiling water straight from the kettle onto the dry ingredients, which included the yeast. So much for “110F to 115F or you’ll kill it!”
View attachment 89281

I love focaccia, but it is another high sodium bread. Does yours use a lot of salt? In fact, does homemade bread in general have as much sodium as commercially produced bread?

CD

I love focaccia, but it is another high sodium bread. Does yours use a lot of salt? In fact, does homemade bread in general have as much sodium as commercially produced bread?

CD
I don’t know about commercially-prepared bread in general, but this focaccia is salty, as there’s salt in the dough (1/2 TB for 2-1/2 cups flour) and then it gets salted on top.

It’s also got a lot of fat in it, 1/4 cup olive oil in the dough and another 2 TB down on the pan and another TB drizzled over the top.

I don’t know about commercially-prepared bread in general, but this focaccia is salty, as there’s salt in the dough (1/2 TB for 2-1/2 cups flour) and then it gets salted on top.

It’s also got a lot of fat in it, 1/4 cup olive oil in the dough and another 2 TB down on the pan and another TB drizzled over the top.
Yum!

CD
No it doesn't have to have anywhere near as much salt in it. But you do need some to tame the yeast apparently... I add apparently because frankly I don't add more than a couple of grinds from the salt mill to each loaf I make. But because of that and because of the altitude we live at instead of using 5g of dried yeast, we only use 1.25g. Altitude does affect yeast enormously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom