Recipe Tomato Fondue

Local time
4:01 PM
Inspired by TastyReuben's post about his New Year's Eve fondue, I thought I'd share the recipe for a tomato fondue we had a couple of days ago. It sounded strange when I first came across it, but apparently its from the Valais canton of Switzerland and it was absolutely delicious :hungry:I found that the tomato cuts through some of the cheesy richness, which makes it easier to eat even more of it :D

Serves 4:
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 400g tomatoes, pureed - I used tinned plum tomatoes which I blitzed, or you could use passata
  • 200ml wine - I used white, but I've also seen recipes which use red
  • 600g cheese, grated - I used a mixture of Emmental and Gruyere
  • 1tbsp cornflour
  • 2 tbsp kirsch - if you don't have kirsch, use any brandy as a substitute (if you don't have either, then leave out...it'll still taste great)
  • dried herbs of your choice - I used oregano
  • pepper and nutmeg - to taste

• Whisk together the cornflour and kirsch in a small bowl (use wine or water if you don't have kirsch or brandy)
  • Add the garlic, tomatoes and wine to your fondue pot and bring almost to the boil
  • Add the cheese and stir until it melts
  • Increase the heat until the tomatoey-cheesey mixture starts to bubble and then stir in the cornflour slurry
  • Season with pepper and nutmeg, then serve

Traditionally fondue is served with only bread for dipping, and with cornichons and pickled onions on the side.

Back
Top Bottom