• Tomato sauce: 200 ml
  • Eggs: 2-4
  • Garlic: 1-2 cloves
  • Extra virgin olive oil: 3 tbsp
  • Optional – Parsley or basil, fresh: to taste
  • Salt and pepper: to taste
Method

Peel the garlic.

Heat up the oil in a saucepan and brown the garlic.

Remove the garlic from the oil, pour in the tomato sauce and season to taste. Add parsley or basil and leave the sauce to cook for 15-20 minutes.

Use a big spoon to push the sauce aside and create small holes in which to break the eggs. You will need as many holes as the eggs you want to prepare. Break the eggs directly in the tomato sauce.

Tip: Be careful not to break the yolks! These are not scrambled eggs and the yolk should not be mixed with the tomato sauce until it’s in your plate.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, without stirring.

Turn off the heat and remove the lid as soon as the white of the eggs is cooked through. The yolks should still be a bit runny, so you should never cook the eggs for more than 10 minutes.

Season to taste with black pepper and serve warm.

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes, as well as different versions from around the world, but as much as I love it, MrsTasty hates it, so I get it only when I order it out or she's away from home.

She's out of town the first week in March, so that'll probably be the next time I have it.

I like shakshuka, so I need to give Eggs in Purgatory a shot. Basil would not be "optional" in mine -- I love basil!

The first time I made shakshuka I overcooked the eggs. I should have trusted my instincts instead of my eyes.

CD

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes, as well as different versions from around the world, but as much as I love it, MrsTasty hates it, so I get it only when I order it out or she's away from home.

She's out of town the first week in March, so that'll probably be the next time I have it.

We are approaching to Febury which is the shortest month, you’ll jump in those eggs in a sp(f)lash

Back
Top Bottom