Travel Plans For 2023

I plan to go to NYC in the fall, probably late October.

I plan to fly Into JFK airport, and on first night there, I plan to stay in the TWA hotel, which used to be the TWA Terminal, which was designed by Eero Saarinen. It sat empty for many years, but is now a hotel. It is full of Eero Saarinen designed furnishings, and styled after the original TWA Terminal design. I'm a architectural history junky, so it will be fun -- and I'll take lots of pictures.

Then, I'll get a room in Brooklyn, and use that as my home base for a few days. I want to visit my friend/mentor Al for a day out shooting in Manhattan. I also plan to eat some good food up there, of course.

CD

I plan to go to NYC in the fall, probably late October.

I plan to fly Into JFK airport, and on first night there, I plan to stay in the TWA hotel, which used to be the TWA Terminal, which was designed by Eero Saarinen. It sat empty for many years, but is now a hotel. It is full of Eero Saarinen designed furnishings, and styled after the original TWA Terminal design. I'm a architectural history junky, so it will be fun -- and I'll take lots of pictures.

Then, I'll get a room in Brooklyn, and use that as my home base for a few days. I want to visit my friend/mentor Al for a day out shooting in Manhattan. I also plan to eat some good food up there, of course.

CD
Love this. Lots of pics would be great 👍

Here’s a funny little thing that happened to work out:

I mentioned earlier that we’re going over to Pennsylvania, scouting out retirement locations, and the area we’re going to (Hanover) is about seven hours or so by car, and we’re going for a week.

The week before that, I’m on call, so any after-hours work falls on me, including the weekend just before my vacation starts.

I wasn’t really thinking of that, and it’s customary to leave the weekend before for vacations starting on a Monday.

The other day, my manager mentioned it a team meeting that a buttload of work was scheduled for that Saturday in question, my on-call week. I immediately popped up and said, “Sorry, someone will have to cover for me, I’m on vacation that Monday, so I won’t be here.” - Saturday work got assigned to a backup.

Later that night, looking at my personal calendar for something else, I noticed I was indeed home and available on Saturday, that MrsT had us leaving on Sunday…odd.

Well crap. 😠

I knew I’d have to tell everybody that I’d be able to cover the Saturday work after all, and was a little perturbed that MrsT had set us to leave on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Today, I was all set to do that when MrsT popped into the back room and said, “I had us leaving Sunday next week, just saving a night’s accommodation, but I’ve had three clients ask me about Tru hotels now, and there’s one in Chambersburg, so I just booked us in there for Saturday night, if that’s ok. We have to leave a day early, but I need to try one out to see if I’d recommend it.”

:woot:

Saved at the last minute!

The week before that, I’m on call, so any after-hours work falls on me, including the weekend just before my vacation starts.
Mind you, IT is a totally different ballgame.
I remember back in the "Millenium", the company assigned me as the Official Contact For Millenial Crises. There was also some poor b*****d stuck in the office, on 31st December. I had to call my Regional Vice President at 12.10am, on 1st January, 2001 to tell him everything was fine.

Weekends are sacred. I don't care who tells me otherwise.

Mind you, IT is a totally different ballgame.

Yep, it’s a 24/7365 industry. I actually count it lucky that my group is just on call after hours, and not required to staff 24/7 - many of my coworkers work with groups like that.

Just with my current employer, I’ve worked more Thanksgivings, Christmases, and New Year’s Eves/Days than I can count.

Actually, I can count the NYEs, because I’ve had to work every single one. That’s our single biggest overnight processing period of the year, closing out end-of-day, end-of-month, end-of-quarter, and end-of-year. We usually divide it up, and some of us work an early shift, like 4PM-2AM, and some of us work 2AM-whenever-it’s-done.

I mentioned having to get my wardrobe together for our upcoming European trip later this month (cruise).

I’ve made some headway - I’ve got my “dress-up dining” outfit selected (two nights of those, if we choose to do them), and I’ve got my “flying out and back” outfit worked out.

Additionally, I’ve chosen two pairs of short pants and four short-sleeved sport shirts to go with them. Now I’m down to the regular trousers and the long-sleeved shirts for those.

…and except for coordinating my socks, I think I’m done.

I’m making the bold choice to bring a pair of white jeans with me. It’s predicted to still be quite warm around where we’re going.

…and except for coordinating my socks, I think I’m done.

I’m making the bold choice to bring a pair of white jeans with me. It’s predicted to still be quite warm around where we’re going.

Where are you going? My one and only cruise was in the Mediterranean. Started and ended in Barcelona. Several stops around Italy, plus one in Monte Carlo, and one in Dubrovnik. Royal Caribbean Cruise lines.

CD

Where are you going? My one and only cruise was in the Mediterranean. Started and ended in Barcelona. Several stops around Italy, plus one in Monte Carlo, and one in Dubrovnik. Royal Caribbean Cruise lines.

CD
Very similar - starting in Barcelona, ending in Rome, with stops in France, Italy, Corfu, and Montenegro. Most of the stops are in Italy, and we added a day in Barcelona and added three days in Rome.

We’ve not been to any of the cities/areas we’re visiting, so it’ll all be new for us.

Very similar - starting in Barcelona, ending in Rome, with stops in France, Italy, Corfu, and Montenegro. Most of the stops are in Italy, and we added a day in Barcelona and added three days in Rome.

We’ve not been to any of the cities/areas we’re visiting, so it’ll all be new for us.

I did a day before and a day after in Barcelona. That is a cool city.

CD

Will you get a pizza stop in Napoli (Naples)?

CD

Will you get a pizza stop in Napoli (Naples)?

CD
Naples is the one stop where MrsT and I are going our separate ways - she’s doing some gawdawful 10-hour trip over to Pompeii and I’m doing a small-group walking food tour in Naples, where we visit four (I think) restaurants for some small bites, and one of those will be pizza.

Back
Top Bottom