Travel Plans For 2023

Yeah, it's expensive, $700 for 2 nights (including taxes). Thankfully some meals are part of the event: rehearsal dinner Friday night, reception dinner Saturday night, and Sunday brunch, so we've only Saturday brunch to do on our own.

We are due to treat ourselves as well. Semi organized trip to Wellington and flash hotel.
Hope the Hess suite isn't named after Rudolph??

Russ

Going to Houston for a few weeks to dogsit/housesit for my SIL while she visits her mother in Puerto Rico. Going to be hot as Hades there. I leave July 3 and come home July 18. The only good thing is that the air quality in OH is horrible right now so it will be good to get out of it. Not that Houston (actually Missouri City--suburb of Houston) has great air due to the oil refineries and such, but ours is terrible due to Canadian wildfires. I can hardly breathe today it's so thick and smelly outside.

It will be nice to see my SIL (briefly) and her dogs for a few weeks! And the shopping there is great. Plus I get to eat whatever I want and don't have to cook for anyone (well I will cook for my SIL when she gets back from PR).

So nice to wake up in my own bed this morning, even if I had that moment before fully awake of wondering where the hell am I? :laugh:

The ride back from Spain to the UK wasn't easy. It was so so hot! The official temp was 38 degrees but out on the motorway in direct sun sitting atop a very hot motorcycle engine the bike gauge reached 56 degrees. It was bearable when moving (just) but in the slow/stationary traffic through Madrid it was unbelievable!

Travel plans now are to make the most of what summer is available in the UK and when the forecast is good jump on a bike and go n see the beautiful west coast of Scotland.

Then September the reverse journey back to Spain from the UK and maybe a dap over to Morocco, the thought of Morocco is exciting. It is odd to discover that parts of Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla) are actually Spanish enclaves so it's possible to leave Spain and arrive in Africa and still officially be in Spain!

So nice to wake up in my own bed this morning, even if I had that moment before fully awake of wondering where the hell am I? :laugh:

The ride back from Spain to the UK wasn't easy. It was so so hot! The official temp was 38 degrees but out on the motorway in direct sun sitting atop a very hot motorcycle engine the bike gauge reached 56 degrees. It was bearable when moving (just) but in the slow/stationary traffic through Madrid it was unbelievable!

Travel plans now are to make the most of what summer is available in the UK and when the forecast is good jump on a bike and go n see the beautiful west coast of Scotland.

Then September the reverse journey back to Spain from the UK and maybe a dap over to Morocco, the thought of Morocco is exciting. It is odd to discover that parts of Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla) are actually Spanish enclaves so it's possible to leave Spain and arrive in Africa and still officially be in Spain!

I've only been to Tangier in Morocco. interesting place.

CD

If you want any suggestions you only have to ask. It's an area I know exceptionally well north of Oban and upwards including the isles. Hubby was based on benbecula for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off for 2½ years and my childhood playground wasn't that far from Rannoch Moor. And I've travelled quite a bit (bicycle and on foot) along the very fast north west coast.

I found out recently that a vegan B&B has opened up not far from my "playground". I'm trying to work out how to visit it when we're back in the UK in October. (Quotes because the rule was you had to be able to see the cottage at all times. But my parents failed to take into amount a child's approach when the cottage is surrounded by mountains... it wasn't uncommon to find me many, many miles from the cottage, still able to see it but literally on top of a mountain in wellies and a waterproof with mountaineers/day hikers (depending on the peak and the season) asking me where my parents were (down there in that cottage was my usual answer). Oddly I never got reported on because it was usually so far off their path to do so that it would mean they'd not get back to their vehicles in daylight. Nowadays if would be a different matter but back then it was normal. I know plenty of locals never saw it as an issue when they overheard it in the "local" bar (no such thing as pubs up there, it's a bar in a hotel), just laughing and saying yeah, "that's xyz's daughter. She likes to walk. " )

I've only been to Tangier in Morocco. interesting place.

CD

If you want any suggestions you only have to ask. It's an area I know exceptionally well north of Oban and upwards including the isles. Hubby was based on benbecula for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off for 2½ years and my childhood playground wasn't that far from Rannoch Moor. And I've travelled quite a bit (bicycle and on foot) along the very fast north west coast.

I found out recently that a vegan B&B has opened up not far from my "playground". I'm trying to work out how to visit it when we're back in the UK in October. (Quotes because the rule was you had to be able to see the cottage at all times. But my parents failed to take into amount a child's approach when the cottage is surrounded by mountains... it wasn't uncommon to find me many, many miles from the cottage, still able to see it but literally on top of a mountain in wellies and a waterproof with mountaineers/day hikers (depending on the peak and the season) asking me where my parents were (down there in that cottage was my usual answer). Oddly I never got reported on because it was usually so far off their path to do so that it would mean they'd not get back to their vehicles in daylight. Nowadays if would be a different matter but back then it was normal. I know plenty of locals never saw it as an issue when they overheard it in the "local" bar (no such thing as pubs up there, it's a bar in a hotel), just laughing and saying yeah, "that's xyz's daughter. She likes to walk. " )

Well thank you that's most kind. I have only the vaguest of plans at the moment. They consist of going back to an amazing seafood restaurant where I had a platter that almost broke me 😂 and I haven't been to any (not a single one) of the isles.
Any Isle info like which are worth a visit would be lovely 👍

I haven't been to any (not a single one) of the isles.
Take a trip to Islay. I did, in 2001. Worth every moment, even though the ferry trip is about 2 hrs. Wonderful place I'd go back to anytime.
Of course, one of its main attractions is that it has 9 single malt whisky distilleries...

Morocco is splendid for tourists. Agadir is one of the biggest places and when you give some little money to the locals they show you all the good places (cheap restaurants, the big market, the port). Haven't been to Marrakesch, but I heard it's the same and the architecture is more traditional, the Sahara is a day tour away. If you spend some more money to the right person, they'll invite you to their "happy farms" if you know what I mean.

Well thank you that's most kind. I have only the vaguest of plans at the moment. They consist of going back to an amazing seafood restaurant where I had a platter that almost broke me 😂 and I haven't been to any (not a single one) of the isles.
Any Isle info like which are worth a visit would be lovely 👍
It goes without saying that the Isle of Skye is great and well worth a visit. The bridge has made it a tourist trap now but get to the end of those roads and the scenery is worth it alone. We have a special love of Benbecula, and the Isle of Lewis. There are some stunning locations there and on the way up to there.

Oban has/had some great fish and chip shops, and a lot of seafood....

11_November.JPG

That's on Skye around Elgol if I recall correctly.

These 2 are the Isle of Lewis
img_8749_8750_1_800.jpg

The orange dot is my old Vango Force 10 tent.
img_9157_800.jpg

And that was the view from the tent.

These 2 are on route to Glencoe via Rannoch Moor.

img_1939_800.jpg

Just before the first bridge into Rannoch Moor, there is a Loch called Loch Tulla.

img_1595_800.jpg

This is the old pier (now gone completely) in Loch Etive.

img_8631b_800.jpg

This was taken right up on the very far north west coast of the mainland of Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom