Trumps history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that explains why he left so early, so the "favor" couldn't be returned. What a child!
Yep. He timed his farewell speech during the time the Biden's were expected to arrive to take the news off them.
This morning, he wanted to eclipse that Biden, along with Clinton, Bush and Obama, are visiting the Arlington Cemetery.

Even at the end, he can't let anybody else have the limelight. It really is blatant petulance.

ETA: His people did announce that he would be leaving earlier than noon today because he didn't want to ask Biden for a ride home so that part wasn't surprising.

News of all this childishness reminds me that the object you see below has now been donated to the Museum of London.

I'm watching the Biden/Harris inauguration festivities now. I know that Biden wasn't sad that Trump didn't plan to attend, but there's another reason why he shouldn't attend. Each of the previous Presidents in attendance are introduced as follows:
  • "The honorable William J. Clinton"
  • "The honorable George W. Bush"
  • "The honorable Barack H. Obama"
The announcer would have had to practice some real self-control when trying to say "The honorable Donald J. Trump". I seriously would have laughed out loud if I ever heard that.

You certainly have a diverse set of experiences. I was a Reagan Republican, and voted for Obama. In hindsight, I look at Reagan's tax-cut and spend policies (supply-side economics), and came to the conclusion that it really was, as GHW Bush called it, "Voodoo Economics." George "Dubya" Bush repeated the same mistake, and Trump took it to new heights. As a TRUE fiscal conservative, I'd say Bill Clinton was the most fiscally conservative President of the last five decades -- we had a balanced budget.

Trump made what appeared to me to be a concerted effort to take care of the rich, and screw the poor (anyone who wasn't rich).

Unless Congress can find a fair way to cut spending, Taxes are going to have to go up. Liberals want to spend on the poor, Conservatives want to spend on more and more military, whether we need it or not.

Trump is leaving Biden with a real mess to clean up. Any thoughts of balancing the budget is going to have to wait until Covid is tamed, and the economy is growing.

CD
People forget Reagan early on supported and pushed the catastrophic healthcare act through congress that was quickly repealed. He's been villianized since.
"Seventeen months after President Ronald Reagan signed the measure with Rose Garden fanfare, a series of miscalculations and missteps in passing the law became painfully evident, and it was unceremoniously stricken from the books by lawmakers who could not see its demise come quickly enough."

I saw we were in trouble with him when after all those years, hell decades of his noontime radio program touting the balanced budget amendment,, he never submitting a balanced budget.
Pulling the WW2 battleship outta mothballs and setting it up for combat, burning thru millions was a head scratcher too.

Not a dimes worth of difference in the party's.

In spite of our appalling mistakes, the USA is a country with a big heart. But that big heart comes at a $30 trillion tab that will no doubt soon be $40 Trillion with Biden milking the cash cow. That will pull the whole worlds economies down and it'll be real ugly.

I had to translate that to GBP and litres to work out whether that is reasonable or not It works out at about 19p extra per litre - which seems perfectly reasonable to me and will probably encourage people to buy smaller and/or more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Just to give you some perspective on this....I believe America has some of the lowest fuel prices in the world - certainly I've always been amazed how cheap fuel is whenever we've hired cars in the US. According to Google average petrol prices in California are currently $3.347 per US gallon, which works out at around 65p per litre. In comparison the average UK price for petrol is £1.10 per litre (which is about average for Europe).

Again, that sounds sensible - those people who drive (and therefore pollute) more should pay more.

This is something the UK is also working towards - I think its a long way off before we will get rid of it totally though. For now we just have a ban on fossil fuel boilers (gas or oil) in new builds from 2023. Not sure how they'll handle the vast already-installed base, it remains to be seen how easy it will be to convert existing systems. But you have to start somewhere.

Income tax is just about the most progressive tax there is and public goods have to be funded somehow. Property tax is also fairly progressive when its based on house value. Our council tax is also pretty high, but its based on the value of our house so that's the choice we made when we a) decided to live in a nice area, and b) bought a house this size.

I watched an interesting video on this topic on the BBC a couple of weeks ago: Why the Swedes love doing something that Americans hate

I don't consider most of what you posted as "political cancers".....I see them as a way of funding a socially and environmentally responsible society.

Maggie said and did a lot of things, and like most people she got some things right. But she also go a lot of things very wrong and did untold damage to the country and society. I certainly wouldn't hold her up as a role model!
Poor people can't afford all the things you see reasonable. It's more than just at the fuel pump. California pays $4 for every $1 Texas spends on roads. That $3 difference is going in someone's pocket.

When fuel prices go up 25% everything else goes up with it because everything is connected to transportation and manufactoring. The farmer passes it on and it works its way through the food chain, then the manufacturing chain,,, everything.
You immediately feel it at the grocery store and it hurts. Car prices, repairs, parts everything goes up in price.

Imagine that mother that fills up her car at $60 a tank full. Suddenly that's $80. Then, the price goes up another $1.50 because of more taxes. It's been happening here for the past 18 months.

I respect your right honorable opinion.

Democracy runs on oil and it will through all our lifetimes.
Getting off an oil economy is good and it's going that way.
We have a long ways to go.

Last edited:
Trump is gone, hopefully never to return, except to face charges for instigating the attack on the U.S. Capitol!!!
I agree Shermie. It proves a lot.
About 3 weeks into the upcoming Biden Chinagate congressional hearings,,, the fix will be in.
This is all about political equity.
Just like Gov Newsoms multi million dollar tax frauds,, it'll all fade away.

Last edited:
Just watched the inauguration. Quite moving. I think you guys now have a couple of well principled, decent people in charge. If you don't want them, please send them over here. We too could do with some decency and integrity at the heart of Government.
Biden entered office broke, left as one of the wealthiest to have ever served on a average $35K to $150K a year salary.
He and Bernie Sanders put it all in their wives accounts under their maiden names.
They're all crooks.

Last edited:
Biden entered office broke, left as one of the wealthiest to have ever served on a average $35K to $150K a year salary.
He and Bernie Sanders put it all in their wives accounts under their maiden names.
They're all crooks.
Generally politicians are crooks, but some exhibit humane ambitions. Some do not.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "the fix is in," but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a whole lot that happens from this. Honestly, if they can find a way to keep him from ever running for office again, forming a PAC, that sort of thing, I'd be fine with that. I don't need hypothetical blood on top of that. Charity for all and all that, y'know?

I lived in Minnesota for eight years, a state with a higher tax burden than California, and I have to say, the level of services, even to a fully-employed, well-paid fellow like myself, were astounding. After moving back to Ohio, with lower taxes and less services, I had several "that would have been paid for/provided in Minnesota" moments.

I always smile a little, being from the US myself, when people in the US complain about gas prices. Having lived where it's much, much, much higher, I just can't get to worked up about it. I paid $2.21/gal for premium yesterday. Anywhere else in the world, I'd probably get kicked in the teeth for saying that was too high. :)

As to Thatcher...when I was living in the UK, some coworkers were having a pleasant difference of opinion regarding Pres Bush The First, The Queen, Reagan, etc. When one of the more conservative participants brought up a Thatcherism, the other fellow very matter-of-factly stated, "If you're quoting Maggie, that's as good as conceding you've lost the point!" :laugh:

I had to translate that to GBP and litres to work out whether that is reasonable or not It works out at about 19p extra per litre - which seems perfectly reasonable to me and will probably encourage people to buy smaller and/or more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Just to give you some perspective on this....I believe America has some of the lowest fuel prices in the world - certainly I've always been amazed how cheap fuel is whenever we've hired cars in the US. According to Google average petrol prices in California are currently $3.347 per US gallon, which works out at around 65p per litre. In comparison the average UK price for petrol is £1.10 per litre (which is about average for Europe).

Again, that sounds sensible - those people who drive (and therefore pollute) more should pay more.

This is something the UK is also working towards - I think its a long way off before we will get rid of it totally though. For now we just have a ban on fossil fuel boilers (gas or oil) in new builds from 2023. Not sure how they'll handle the vast already-installed base, it remains to be seen how easy it will be to convert existing systems. But you have to start somewhere.

Income tax is just about the most progressive tax there is and public goods have to be funded somehow. Property tax is also fairly progressive when its based on house value. Our council tax is also pretty high, but its based on the value of our house so that's the choice we made when we a) decided to live in a nice area, and b) bought a house this size.

I watched an interesting video on this topic on the BBC a couple of weeks ago: Why the Swedes love doing something that Americans hate

I don't consider most of what you posted as "political cancers".....I see them as a way of funding a socially and environmentally responsible society.

Maggie said and did a lot of things, and like most people she got some things right. But she also go a lot of things very wrong and did untold damage to the country and society. I certainly wouldn't hold her up as a role model!

To be fair, California taxes and regulations are a bit overboard. But, it is a highly populated State with a lot of issues.

Texas is probably a bit under-regulated, but I can't complain about the taxes on a personal level. The State's main tax is sales tax, which is very regressive. It hurts the poor, and the rich don't even notice it. Essentials like groceries and medications are not subject to sales taxes, but everything else is. 8.25% in Frisco, where I live. We have no income tax. Property taxes here are for the city, county and school district you reside in. The city and county taxes are next to nothing. The School District taxes are BIG. I pay about $5,000 a year, and about $4,400 of that is for the School District.

Gasoline is pricy in California, but cheap in Texas. Of course, most of it is made in Texas. Regular octane is about $1.89 per gallon right now. I pay about $2.40 per gallon for premium, which my car requires. But, it is a MINI, so a gallon of gas goes a long way. It costs me about $100 a year for State inspection and registration of my car. Thing is, it doesn't cost a whole lot more for a huge, gas-guzzling SUV. I think that should change. But, we are also ranked in the top 10 for air-pollution. Pollution in California is much lower -- something they have put a lot of effort and money into.

We also rank 40th out of 50 states when it comes to child poverty, and also rank high for people with no health insurance. There is a trade off.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom