Recipe Turkey or Chicken Breast with Cranberries & Saffron

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:35 AM
In Persian cooking, barberries which have a sharp taste, similar to cranberries are often paired with saffron, particularly in chicken and rice dishes. So, for a festive alternative I thought using cranberries might work well with turkey and saffron. If you don’t like turkey you could substitute with chicken and it will work just as well. Adjust the cooking time according to the size of the turkey or chicken breast used.

This is dish is very straightforward to make using the ‘en papillote’ method.

Ingredients (serves 1 to 2)
1 small turkey breast or 1 medium chicken breast
A small pinch of saffron strands plus 4 tbsp hot water
Salt
1 fat clove of garlic slivered
1 small piece of ginger slivered
30g cranberries
A few thin rings of leek or onion
A few pieces of butter
3 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp honey

Method
  1. Place saffron strands In a bowl large enough to hold the turkey breast.
  2. Add the hot water & mix.
  3. Place the turkey breast in the bowl, turning to coat thoroughly.
  4. Leave the turkey breast to marinate for at least an hour.
  5. Place the turkey on a large sheet of foil or foil lined with baking paper. Turn up the edges of the foil slightly. Sprinkle salt over the turkey or chicken and then add the marinade.
  6. Add the cranberries and add the garlic, ginger and leeks or onion in and around the turkey
  7. Drizzle with the honey and add the wine.
  8. Dot the butter over the top.
  9. Place another sheet of foil over the top to make a tent. Crimp the edges of the foil together all round, to form a seal.
  10. Bake at 175 C for between 25 to 35 mins or until cooked through.
  11. Open the papillote and use a culinary blowtorch to lightly char the top of the turkey.
  12. To serve, slice the breast across the grain.

As usual morning glory you have created another masterpiece. I have some fresh cod looking for a great recipe. I think we may have found it. :watching:

Question though...I find cranberries are very tart. Can you taste the tartness or do the other ingredients outweigh the cranberry taste?

As usual morning glory you have created another masterpiece. I have some fresh cod looking for a great recipe. I think we may have found it. :watching:

Question though...I find cranberries are very tart. Can you taste the tartness or do the other ingredients outweigh the cranberry taste?

I've never seen fresh cranberries so we get in a jar, I love them in a jelly mix. I recently watched, how do they do it on tv. From growing to cooking. The operation was huge.

Russ

Ooooh...Oranges and cranberries. (from Mackerel recipe) My cod recipe is starting to take shape in my head.

Another question: How well does honey work with en papillote? Does it incorporate with the white wine or does it remain thick and sweet?

Back
Top Bottom