Recipe Turmeric and Almond Butter Marinade

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:12 AM
I was trying to create a salad dressing, and after tasting it repeatedly and adding more of this and a touch of that, I ultimately decided it was a good marinade for the salmon filets we were having for dinner. It would have been a little heavy for a salad dressing, and with a few tweaks I might be able to get that right in time. But it was a happy mishap that ultimately turned my turmeric-disliking husband into "This is possibly the best salmon I have ever eaten in my life", so I would say a success overall. I think it would be good with other types of fish, chicken, and probably pork as well (not too sure about beef). I also think tahini or cashew butter would be a good substitution for the almond butter.

Turmeric and Almond Butter Marinade

Marinade yields approximately 2 cups, enough for about 4 pounds of fish or meat (my salmon filet weighed approximately 1.25 lbs). I stored the remainder in an airtight container and will use it for chicken over the next few days or freeze it. The marinade recipe could easily be cut in 1/2 or even 1/4s.

Marinade ingredients:
1/4 cup almond butter
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg's)
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
4 cloves of roasted garlic
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt or other good salt (I used pink Himalayan)
3 tsp sesame seeds

Add the almond butter, olive oil, vinegar, and roasted garlic cloves to the food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Add other ingredients and pulse until thoroughly mixed.

Pour marinade into a container with a tight fitting lid to store in refrigerator.

When ready to use, coat the meat of choice thoroughly on both sides in shallow dish.

Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours before cooking. Store any leftover marinade for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Last edited:
I was trying to create a salad dressing, and after tasting it repeatedly and adding more of this and a touch of that, I ultimately decided it was a good marinade for the salmon filets we were having for dinner.

One of my upcoming recipes will be a Radicchio Salad using a Tumeric Salad Dressing. I hope it works out OK and that I don't have to switch it to a marinade.

That sounds good. It looks like that's an air fryer. How long did you cook it for and what temp? Thanks.
Yes, it's an air fryer. I use it a lot but I have made salmon in the oven many times as well. In the air fryer, I cooked it at 400F for about 10 minutes. You could cook it on a lower temp but I wanted a bit of a seared crust. It was tender and juicy on the inside. In the oven, I would do 350F for 10 minutes and then a low broil for 2 minutes to sear the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
Yes, it's an air fryer. I use it alot but I have made salmon in the oven many times as well. In the air fryer, I cooked it at 400 for about 10 minutes. You could cook it on a lower temp but I wanted a bit of a seared crust. It was tender and juicy on the inside. In the oven, I would do 350 for 10 minutes and then a low broil for 2 minutes to sear the top.

It appears that you did not use any oil on the air fryer. Is that because of the oil in the almond butter? I've never cooked in my air fryer without a spritz of EVOO or veg. oil.

I just bought some salmon. I will definitely try this. Thanks for posting it.

It appears that you did not use any oil on the air fryer. Is that because of the oil in the almond butter? I've never cooked in my air fryer without a spritz of EVOO or veg. oil.

I just bought some salmon. I will definitely try this. Thanks for posting it.
Exactly, the oil in the marinade is sufficient. There is olive oil in the marinade as well as the almond butter.

I agree, foods come out too dry and just don't taste right without a touch of oil. I tried French fries once in the air fryer without oil and they were just crunchy, dried potato sticks and had a horrible texture.

Exactly, the oil in the marinade is sufficient. I agree, foods come out too dry and just don't taste right without a touch of oil. I tried French fries once in the air fryer without oil and they were just crunchy, dried potato sticks and had a horrible texture.

I had that same experience with them just bizarre inside. LOL I also realized that I didn't set the temp. right so they were cooked at 350 degrees instead of 400 degrees. A spritz of oil and higher temp yielded better results.

I had that same experience with them just bizarre inside. LOL I also realized that I didn't set the temp. right so they were cooked at 350 degrees instead of 400 degrees. A spritz of oil and higher temp yielded better results.
The salt sticks better to the fries if you add it right after spraying them with oil, before cooking.

The salt sticks better to the fries if you add it right after spraying them with oil, before cooking.

Wow. I didn't know that. I always give a quick dash or two while they are still hot (after cooking) but will try it the other way next time. Thank you.

Wow. I didn't know that. I always give a quick dash or two while they are still hot (after cooking) but will try it the other way next time. Thank you.
I have been known to put the frozen fries (or fresh potatoes) in a bowl and lightly coat them with oil when I am out of spray, then salt them before I even put them in the air fryer. I love my air fryer!

Back
Top Bottom