Recipe Turmeric and Tarragon Seasoned Deviled Eggs

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:37 AM
Turmeric and Tarragon Seasoned Deviled Eggs

My husband likes his boiled eggs soft-to-medium boiled. He eats a couple a day as an afternoon snack, so I make them in batches of 6 eggs at a time every few days. About 1 out of 7 times I overcook them, LOL. Today was one of those days. I ate one and the yolk was slightly chalky, so, I decided to make some deviled eggs with the remaining 5 eggs.

I normally make deviled eggs the simple way my mother and grandmother before her always made them: a mixture of the egg yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and a finishing sprinkle of paprika. And then I thought of adding turmeric, tarragon, and a few other things for an inventive twist, without deviating too much from the family recipe. I did a little research and found some interesting recipes, but nothing exactly like I had in mind--many recipes called for yogurt or tahini, and none of them married tarragon together with the turmeric. I was on the fence about leaving out the mustard, but then I thought about what caseydog said in the recipe challenge thread about turmeric not being a lead singer but singing harmony in the dish instead #52 and I agree. So here goes!

Serves 3-5 people
Ingredients:
5 eggs, peeled and halved
2 tbsp softened butter
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 tsp prepared mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt or other good salt
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
1 tsp finely chopped green (aka spring) onion (for garnish)
Pinch of paprika powder (for garnish)
Pinch of additonal turmeric powder (garnish)

Place the egg yolks from the boiled eggs into a bowl. Add all ingredients except for the green onion, paprika, additional turmeric, and mix together.

Transfer to the food processor and pulse for about 1 minute.

Fill the egg white halves with the mixture. Chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Top with green onion and sprinkled paprika and turmeric just before serving.

Another win: my husband used to not like turmeric until recently upon tasting a few of my new recipes. He is becoming way more open minded lately! He says these are :thumbsup:

Notes: there was a little kick from the cayenne that I enjoyed quite well. I recommend tasting for the salt (if you have dietary restrictions or just prefer less salt), black pepper, and cayenne pepper amounts to suit your own tastes.

Oh yeah, and about the butter: it made for a velvety, creamy texture. A friend of mine recommended trying it and she was right.

Last edited:
I'd happily eat those. I add butter to the yolk, home made Mayo and store bought curry powder. Curried eggs! That's the way my mum made them anyway.
Btw great presentation!!

Russ

I love deviled eggs. I usually boil a couple extras when making hard-boiled eggs just for a taste now and again. I love how creative you've been with using Turmeric!
Aw, thanks. I just was looking at that packet of turmeric I bought yesterday and decided I'd best use as much as possible for any good reason :laugh: . And it brought back to mind when I was selling a turmeric product that was free form and not encapsulated or in pill form, it was lovely coming up with recipe ideas to present it.

I'd happily eat those. I add butter to the yolk, home made Mayo and store bought curry powder. Curried eggs! That's the way my mum made them anyway.
Btw great presentation!!

Russ
I added butter to the yolk, yes!

I love deviled eggs. I usually boil a couple extras when making hard-boiled eggs just for a taste now and again. I love how creative you've been with using Turmeric!
If you didn't feel like the fuss you could always just mix the concotion and dip your hard boiled eggs in it.

Reactions: mjd
I love devilled eggs (stuffed eggs) and these look great. I much prefer the use of butter to mayo (I have an intolerance to mayo). I often use plain Greek style yoghurt in place of mayo. That also makes for a much lower calorie version. I think that could work here too in place of butter. Tarragon is a good match with turmeric. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom