Recipe Turmeric Seasoned Chicken Soup

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:16 PM
Turmeric Seasoned Chicken Soup

Turmeric has many health benefits and adds such a lovely dimension of flavor and color! I make this comforting chicken soup fairly often in the winter months. I generally serve it with quinoa or wild rice, but my husband prefers egg noodles. Or, if you prefer to go grain and gluten free, it can be served without.

It's simple to make and always delicious!

Prep and cook time approximately 3 hours or less.
Approximately 6 servings.
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter or ghee
1 quart chicken stock or broth
2 cups water
2 pounds deboned chicken, cubed into bite-sized pieces (I used breasts but any preferred cuts will do)
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots (or more is fine)
2 tsp salt (more or less according to preference)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp turmeric

In a large soup pot, drizzle the olive oil and butter and turn on medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onion.

Sautee for a few minutes and then add the chicken broth and cubed chicken. Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, then reduce, cover, and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Add turmeric spice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with quinoa, rice, or egg noodles.

Notes: Other vegetables can be omitted or added according to preference. Additionally, if others consuming the soup do not enjoy turmeric, the spice can be added to each bowl individually (approximately 1/4 tsp per bowl). I like to use my own stock that I make and freeze in advance, but store-bought is just fine. Chopped kale, spinach, and/or fresh herbs can be added at the end for a pop of flavor and extra nutritional benefits.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Looks delicious. But if I am to omit anything as you say, it would be the turmeric ! :D. Turmeric is exorbitantly expensive in my country today. It was one of the cheapest ingredients here before the covid era, and then the price skyrocketed to become the most expensive ingredient.

I'm sorry to hear that! Not as expensive saffron, I'm sure. My husband hates both.

I'm sorry to hear that! Not as expensive saffron, I'm sure. My husband hates both.
No not as much as saffron. The problem is that turmeric is used as a germicide too. With some ayurvedic guys recommending it as a preventive method against the coronavirus people started buying it like crazy, and the stocks vanished within days! lol. I have a few plants and they will be ready in another few weeks I think.

Looks delicious. But if I am to omit anything as you say, it would be the turmeric ! :D. Turmeric is exorbitantly expensive in my country today. It was one of the cheapest ingredients here before the covid era, and then the price skyrocketed to become the most expensive ingredient.
The Croats invest the same "magical" properties in turmeric. Fresh yesterday was costing about 16 kuna for 200 grams about £2. I rarely use it fresh as Mrs Blank does not like the stains I get everywhere when I grate it. I keep forgetting to wash my hands before I go for a pee.

Turmeric Seasoned Chicken Soup

Turmeric has many health benefits and adds such a lovely dimension of flavor and color! I make this comforting chicken soup fairly often in the winter months. I generally serve it with quinoa or wild rice, but my husband prefers egg noodles. Or, if you prefer to go grain and gluten free, it can be served without.

It's simple to make and always delicious!

Prep and cook time approximately 3 hours or less.
Approximately 6 servings.
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter or ghee
1 quart chicken stock or broth
2 cups water
2 pounds deboned chicken, cubed into bite-sized pieces (I used breasts but any preferred cuts will do)
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots (or more is fine)
2 tsp salt (more or less according to preference)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp turmeric

In a large soup pot, drizzle the olive oil and butter and turn on medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onion.

View attachment 51937

Sautee for a few minutes and then add the chicken broth and cubed chicken. Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, then reduce, cover, and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Add turmeric spice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with quinoa, rice, or egg noodles.

View attachment 51938

View attachment 51939

View attachment 51940

View attachment 51941

Notes: Other vegetables can be omitted or added according to preference. Additionally, if others consuming the soup do not enjoy turmeric, the spice can be added to each bowl individually (approximately 1/4 tsp per bowl). I like to use my own stock that I make and freeze in advance, but store-bought is just fine. Chopped kale, spinach, and/or fresh herbs can be added at the end for a pop of flavor and extra nutritional benefits.

Enjoy!
Mate I would bath in that, asses milk pffff

Why has the virus affected prices? Its cheap enough here (imported from India).

Edit: sorry, I think you explained this above.

It's about $3USD for 2 ounces (56 grams) here. I am sure we have plenty available in our stores. Many American's are so used to just taking drugs that they don't consider using natural alternatives such as herbs to make themselves well. It's a bigger trend in more progressive states like California and Colorado, but I live in a small mid-western state that is a bit behind the times. Not that turmeric is going to keep someone from getting COVID-19, LOL, but I am sure it helps with alleviating symptoms. I know it can help knock out a cold pretty quickly!

Reactions: mjd
It's about $3USD for 2 ounces (56 grams) here. I am sure we have plenty available in our stores. Many American's are so used to just taking drugs that they don't consider using natural alternatives such as herbs to make themselves well. It's a bigger trend in more progressive states like California and Colorado, but I live in a small mid-western state that is a bit behind the times. Not that turmeric is going to keep someone from getting COVID-19, LOL, but I am sure it helps with alleviating symptoms. I know it can help knock out a cold pretty quickly!

True. I'm the "weirdo" in the bunch. Nobody comments that my kids have never had diaper rash, ear infections or anything more than the common cold. I did natural childbirth twice and had no medical interventions (not even an aspirin). I find it hard to understand why people blindly trust medicine when its not really that old while homeopathic and/or naturopathic remedies have been around for centuries. I'm not saying allopathic serves no purpose but it's not the panacea many hold it out to be.

I cut up my veggies and have some leftover rotisserie chicken. I'm going to make your recipe soon but probably finish it in the Crock-pot so I can rest a bit. I've been up since 3A (insomnia). Thanks for posting it.

True. I'm the "weirdo" in the bunch. Nobody comments that my kids have never had diaper rash, ear infections or anything more than the common cold. I did natural childbirth twice and had no medical interventions (not even an aspirin). I find it hard to understand why people blindly trust medicine when its not really that old while homeopathic and/or naturopathic remedies have been around for centuries. I'm not saying allopathic serves no purpose but it's not the panacea many hold it out to be.

I cut up my veggies and have some leftover rotisserie chicken. I'm going to make your recipe soon but probably finish it in the Crock-pot so I can rest a bit. I've been up since 3A (insomnia). Thanks for posting it.
If the chicken is already cooked (rotisserie chicken is quite tender), the cooking time will be less. Indeed, I wouldn't add it at the same time as the veggies, I would let those cook down and put the chicken in the last 30 minutes or so just to absorb the flavors of everything else. I also think that it's better to add the turmeric to the actual soup pot to allow it to permeate everything for a few minutes, but like I said, hubby isn't fond of it so I just add it to my bowl(s).

I will post my recipe for golden tea next time I make it (probably Monday, I ran out of turmeric and it's on order for tomorrow), it's a turmeric drink made with almond milk, cinnamon, turmeric and honey (not really a tea) that is soothing and helps with sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
If the chicken is already cooked (rotisserie chicken is quite tender), the cooking time will be less. Matter of fact, I wouldn't add it at the same time as the veggies, I would let those cook down and put the chicken in the last 30 minutes or so just to absorb the flavors of everything else. I also think that it's better to add the turmeric to the actual soup pot to allow it to permeate everything for a few minutes, but like I said, hubby isn't fond of it so I just add it to my bowl(s).

I will post my recipe for golden tea next time I make it (probably Monday, I ran out of turmeric and it's on order for tomorrow), it's a turmeric drink made with almond milk, cinnamon, turmeric and honey (not really a tea) that is soothing and helps with sleep.

Yep. That's how I did it. I will just add the chicken in the last 10-15 minutes to heat it. Thanks!

Can't wait to see your golden tea recipe.

Update: I used the back and leg portions from a rotisserie chicken to make the stock. Added a bit more salt but followed everything else to the letter. I had it over white rice (what I have on hand). Turned out delicious. Will make again.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom