Turmeric

I've recently discovered the wonderful taste and amazing health benefits of turmeric. I have used in soups, mashed potatoes and cabbage dishes so far. Reading about the health benefits of turmeric is what encouraged me to give it a try. I read that you have to eat it with an oil, an acid (such as lemon juice or tomatoes), or black pepper in order for your body to absorb the health giving nutrients.

My questions to all of you are:
1. Can I use butter instead of an oil like olive oil to help the body absorb the nutrients in turmeric?
2. I am using a grocery store bought powdered form. Is there a better way to use it to get more of the health benefits?
3. Does anyone have any creative ideas as far as ways to eat it?

Funny that there is a thread on this, as I was wondering as to whether this spice can be used in place of saffron.

Saffron is very expensive! It is used mainly in rice dishes, such as paella. Just a thought. Do you think that I can get away with using turmeric instead? Besides, saffron makes the food taste like medicine if too much of it is used. :unsure:

Badia Amarillo Yellow Coloring.jpg

I DO have THIS spice, which I HAVE used to color rice with.:wink:

Funny that there is a thread on this, as I was wondering as to whether this spice can be used in place of saffron.

Saffron is very expensive! It is used mainly in rice dishes, such as paella. Just a thought. Do you think that I can get away with using turmeric instead? Besides, saffron makes the food taste like medicine if too much of it is used. :unsure:
You can substitute it and get the colour. But it won't taste anything like saffron. Saffron (as you note) must be used with discretion or it does end up tasting medicinal. But the taste of Saffron is quite different from anything else.

I'll look into this.

And BTW, the spice pictured above, I keep it in the fridge, so that it does not lose its aroma. :wink:

I like to use Turmeric. It is the main ingredient in mustard. It is also used different types of Indian cooking. Many people are using tutmeric in spicy food. It is just one of the options that you can find in a lot of different recipes. It is just a healthy and versatile kind of spice.

I have taken the pills to help with my joint pain. I can say it has had good results.

I like to use Turmeric. It is the main ingredient in mustard. It is also used different types of Indian cooking. Many people are using tutmeric in spicy food. It is just one of the options that you can find in a lot of different recipes. It is just a healthy and versatile kind of spice.

Yeah, it IS good for certain types of ethnic cooking. It helps you to expand your culinary skills and be extra creative in the kitchen! :wink:

I have taken the pills to help with my joint pain. I can say it has had good results.
I was investigating the Turmeric User Group (www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/ or www.turmericlife.com.au ) but had to ditch the idea because I was on radiotherapy. It's for humans and animals. I suffer from OA and greyhounds are prone to it, so it may be good for the pair of us and my elderly cat.

And @morning glory, turmeric does whiten teeth - about 1/8 teaspoon on your toothbrush, brush your teeth, leave for 3-5 minutes, then clean teeth as usual, and have a damp cloth, damp tissues or skin wipes available to wipe your mouth with after. The yellow tongue effect is usually cured with a hot drink! I haven't investigated the turmeric/coconut oil paste yet.

My local fruit and veg shop has got some fresh turmeric in at the moment. This is, at least for me, a rare sight, so I'm just off to get some...

My local fruit and veg shop has got some fresh turmeric in at the moment. This is, at least for me, a rare sight, so I'm just off to get some...
You won't regret it - but beware. It stains everything in site so if you don't want to look like a 40 a day smoker... I managed to spill turmeric oil last week (made by simply grating turmeric into oil and leaving to steep). I now have yellow stains on my bamboo kitchen counter.:meh:
I generally grate it on a microplane - but you could use and ordinary grater, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom