Turmeric

Its also worth buying a lot if you think you might not see it again. It freezes really well. I just pop the root in a food bag in the freezer. It will grate straight from frozen.

Just my twopenneth.......

turmeric.jpg

I cannot for the life of me remember for what we used the fresh. It doesn't feature much in Thai cuisine. I'm not even aware of an Indian recipe that calls for fresh turmeric (although I would guess that there are some).

I cannot for the life of me remember for what we used the fresh. It doesn't feature much in Thai cuisine. I'm not even aware of an Indian recipe that calls for fresh turmeric (although I would guess that there are some).
You can use it any recipe (including curry) that calls for dried. And I personally think that it tastes much better. Also I grate it on top of curry (as in the image posted above), or add to water when rice is boiling.

I think its commonly used in Thai dishes - in fact, I have regularly ordered it on-line from a Thai supermarket here. Its also used in Indian cooking. Madhur would have adapted recipes to include dried rather than fresh, since until very recently its been unavailable in the UK. Not sure about the U.S. but I suspect the same.

There are also some interesting Indian recipes for turmeric pickle which (as you are the Lime Pickle King), you could probably turn your hand to. :D

Turmeric memory: I bought a bag of powdered turmeric in Eritrea not long after I went there for two years. By the time I left, I had donated the bag to some UN volunteers and there was still a good bit left. Now I use a lot of the stuff, so when I say a bag, I mean a BAG. It cost me about 60 pence.

Turmeric memory: I bought a bag of powdered turmeric in Eritrea not long after I went there for two years. By the time I left, I had donated the bag to some UN volunteers and there was still a good bit left. Now I use a lot of the stuff, so when I say a bag, I mean a BAG. It cost me about 60 pence.
Sack, then! So did you get the fresh turmeric - and have you used it yet?

Curry on the agenda soon, so the turmeric will be in the starting XI.

I was reminded that the aforementioned big bag of turmeric cost us around a twentieth of the price of a small bottle of tomato ketchup.

So have you used the fresh turmeric yet @Duck59? Another way of using it to grate some into rice whilst its cooking, to produce lovely yellow, aromatic rice.

Back
Top Bottom