TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:27 AM
TWICE-BAKED POTATOES
Serves 6-8

Ingredients
4 medium russet potatoes (about 8oz each), scrubbed, dried, and rubbed lightly with vegetable oil
4oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 TB unsalted butter, softened
3 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 tsp table salt
Ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 400F. Bake the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet until the skin is crisp and deep brown and a skewer easily pierces the flesh, about 1 hour. Transfer the potatoes to a wire rack and cool slightly, about 10 minutes (leave the oven on).

Using an oven mitt or folded kitchen towel to handle the hot potatoes, cut each potato in half lengthwise so that the long, blunt sides rest on the work surface. Using a small spoon, scoop the flesh from each half into a medium bowl, leaving a 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness of the flesh in each shell. Arrange the shells on the foil-lined baking sheet and return to the oven until dry and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mash the potato flesh with a fork until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients, including pepper to taste, until well combined.

Remove the shells from the oven and increase the oven setting to broil. Holding the shells steady on the pan with an oven mitt or towel-protected hand, spoon the mixture into the crisped shells, mounding it slightly at the center, and return the potatoes to the oven. Broil until spotty brown and crisp on top, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

NOTE: ATK (and others) maintain that there's no necessity in poking holes in a potato before baking, and I trust their judgment; however, I have twice baked unpoked potatoes in the oven that have exploded, so due to personal experience and not wanting to clean that mess again, I always poke holes in my taters! :okay:

NOTE: I added bacon and chives at the last minute. Allow two strips of bacon per finished potato half.

I like to add some butter and kosher salt to the skin exterior as well before the finish. I remember the first time I ever made twice baked potatoes for my husband and family and they ate everything out of the center and left the skins. I was horrified! Who leaves that awesome salty and crispy skin to be discarded? After that I just peeled everything and just made the potatoes in a casserole dish sans skins.

NOTE: ATK (and others) maintain that there's no necessity in poking holes in a potato before baking, and I trust their judgment; however, I have twice baked unpoked potatoes in the oven that have exploded, so due to personal experience and not wanting to clean that mess again, I always poke holes in my taters! :okay:

So, twice baked/once poked potatoes? Whatever you call them, they look delicious.

I like to add some butter and kosher salt to the skin exterior as well before the finish. I remember the first time I ever made twice baked potatoes for my husband and family and they ate everything out of the center and left the skins. I was horrified! Who leaves that awesome salty and crispy skin to be discarded? After that I just peeled everything and just made the potatoes in a casserole dish sans skins.
I'm going to try the skin thing next time.

Back
Top Bottom