Typical Day's Meals

I don't really have a typical day. Partly due to shifts at work.

Never smoked, apart from experimenting as a nipper. It was at that time I realised that for the cost of a packet of Woodbines I could get a tin of baked beans and a pack of sausages so my mates and I could have a good old nosh up.

Most mornings I'll have two, perhaps three coffees, no breakfast and then tea after that. I prefer to leave the tea bag in the tea.

The only time, generally, that I'll have breakfast is when I'm on an early shift at work. I get in to work at approx 5:15 am and by about 9 am I'm pretty hungry. It will usually be fridge porridge, cereal or jam on toast.

Lunch is usually a sandwich, wrap, pasty or sausage roll regardless of which shift I'm on.

Evening meal depends on time and what shift I'm on.
If I'm on lates I'll grab frozen leftovers out the freezer and nuke it at work.
If I'm on days it'll be something fairly quick.
If on early or day off it'll be something a bit more elaborate.

Off alcohol at the moment as trying to trim some weight

Snacks, peanuts, crisps etc. are my downfall. I'll munch away half the night. I have various bits of fruit kicking around now so that I pick at those instead.

Here is the truth:

Partner eats it. I usually make only one portion of something I photograph or if its more he eats it as leftovers. I also have son and daughter living locally so if I make a larger quantity I put meals in containers for them to collect and re-heat. I'm on a permanent diet due to high amounts of alcohol providing more than enough calories. Its very unhealthy. I can just about avoid putting on weight if I eat very little but at the moment I seem to be getting fatter! The only solution is to stop drinking. If you knew how much I drink you would probably be horrified. Unfortunately I'm what's known as a 'high functioning' alcoholic which means I don't appear to be drunk and can perform complex tasks, even when significantly 'over the limit'. I don't do anything silly like drive a car though. Strictly no alcohol if I'm driving for example.
Your very brave to talk about it

I did give up a few years ago. I became very bored and knitted obsessively! There are only so many jumpers...etc. My goal at the moment is to stop day time drinking. If I can do that I can eat more healthily.
My brother Lee is going through some fairly serious health issues, which his doctors attribute to an atrociously bad diet and a near-lifetime of very heavy drinking. He's 64.

Hopefully, you can make that first goal a reality and build on that. Big dose of good luck to you! :)

Here is the truth:

Partner eats it. I usually make only one portion of something I photograph or if its more he eats it as leftovers. I also have son and daughter living locally so if I make a larger quantity I put meals in containers for them to collect and re-heat. I'm on a permanent diet due to high amounts of alcohol providing more than enough calories. Its very unhealthy. I can just about avoid putting on weight if I eat very little but at the moment I seem to be getting fatter! The only solution is to stop drinking. If you knew how much I drink you would probably be horrified. Unfortunately I'm what's known as a 'high functioning' alcoholic which means I don't appear to be drunk and can perform complex tasks, even when significantly 'over the limit'. I don't do anything silly like drive a car though. Strictly no alcohol if I'm driving for example.

Very brave and honest of you. I'm not addicted to booze but I drink a lot. The earliest I drink is 8.30 at night when I go upstairs. I go for a jug of beer once or twice a week at 3.30 pm with my best friend, but that's just to catch up, we don't like talking to others, just us two, we even will,go to a pub where no one knows us. Our wives encourage us to do this btw. I have trouble sleeping so I'm half cut when I go to bed, normally around 11.30 or midnight? I drink every night. I'm a happy drunk I guess. If my doc told me to stop I think I would. We all live life so differently. Smoke free for 14 years so that's got to help.

Russ

Here is the truth:

Our close friend Sharon we have discovered drinks at work, she takes a water bottle to her work with wine in it. Sharon's hubby is my best friend who confides in me about her drinking. She doesn't know I know. I kinda guessed when my wife said she knew she drank at 9am in the weekends. Shes also diabetic and has a fatty liver. Shes very tiny and had a close call where my wife had to take her to hospital with a diabetic episode. I don't think she will give up?

Russ

I lost my little brother to alcohol 2 1/2 years ago. His liver just basically gave out. His drink of choice was cider. I could have understood if it had been whisky or some other spirits.
It's rare that a week goes by without me thinking of him.

Here is the truth:

It is a lot easier to quit when you are in the hospital, and the doctor says, "quit, or be dead within a few years." I won't lie, quitting sucks. I sometimes "fall off the wagon" as they say here, but I don't drink everyday, in large quantities, anymore.

It's like smoking. My grandfather quit when he had a major heart attack.

CD

Last edited:
It is a lot easier to quit when you are in the hospital, and the doctor says, "quit, or be dead within a few years." I won't lie, quitting sucks. I sometimes "fall off the wagon" as they say here, but I don't drink everyday, in large quantities, anymore.

It's like smoking. My grandfather quit when he had a major heart attack.

CD

Both my kids would leave a room if anyone smoked, they hate it. I grew up where everyone smoked. I miss a nice cigar!

Russ

Both my kids would leave a room if anyone smoked, they hate it. I grew up where everyone smoked. I miss a nice cigar!

Russ

I used to smoke a cigar every evening. Now, it is an occasional treat. It was a cost thing. I like GOOD cigars, and they aren't cheap.

Whenever I am in Vegas, I always go to the Fuente cigar bar/store, and pick up a few sticks of cigars I can't get in Dallas.

CD

I used to smoke a cigar every evening. Now, it is an occasional treat. It was a cost thing. I like GOOD cigars, and they aren't cheap.

Whenever I am in Vegas, I always go to the Fuente cigar bar/store, and pick up a few sticks of cigars I can't get in Dallas.

CD

I need to go to Havana and try theirs? Or buy a box? :)

Russ

I need to go to Havana and try theirs? Or buy a box? :)

Russ

I've had a few Cubans, and they really are better, IMO. You can get them here if you know the right people. When Obama normalized relations with Cuba, there was talk about them being available here, but then Trump got elected, and that got quashed.

Uh oh, did we go off topic, again? :shy:

CD

Uh oh, did we go off topic, again? :shy:

CD

Well it's just a typical Cooking Bites thread.

You start off the thread talking about whether butter is better than margarine, or Zen and the art of chopping onions and by the time the thread has run it's course you're talking about how beetles have sex or whether George Best was better than Pele.

Duck and Morning Glory must feel like they're herding cats at times. :D

I lost my little brother to alcohol 2 1/2 years ago. His liver just basically gave out. His drink of choice was cider. I could have understood if it had been whisky or some other spirits.
It's rare that a week goes by without me thinking of him.
So sorry. Its the amount of alcohol, I suppose, not whether its spirits. I very rarely drink spirits.

I'm beginning to panic about what I'm doing to myself. It is now 10.30 am and I haven't had a drink. I'm going to make a cup of Earl Grey and try to hold out until tonight. :(

So sorry. Its the amount of alcohol, I suppose, not whether its spirits. I very rarely drink spirits.

I'm beginning to panic about what I'm doing to myself. It is now 10.30 am and I haven't had a drink. I'm going to make a cup of Earl Grey and try to hold out until tonight. :(

Keep going love, you can do it 🙏 be careful though, quitting cold turkey without help from alcohol can be dangerous. Only you know how much you drink, so if you truly want to quit but it's too much then please ask for help.

Back
Top Bottom