Typical Day's Meals

I could have understood if it had been whisky or some other spirits.
Very sorry to hear. Frankly, that's what we're all worried about with my brother at the moment.

It was always drilled in us at school (Health class) that 1oz spirits = 6oz wine = 12oz beer, as far as alcohol goes. It's an approximation, but it was to drive home that, regardless of the delivery method, alcohol is alcohol is alcohol and it's not so much the drink you choose, but the amount of alcohol you're consuming.

Lee developed intestinal issues a few years ago - benign tumors. He had surgery to remove those, but now they're back, and just because they were benign before doesn't mean they are again.

Additionally, he's been found to have a tumor growing in/on his stomach, and last year, he was diagnosed with an extreme case of fatty liver disease, and now they've found tumors on his liver that they need to biopsy.

He's also someone who, for years, drank every waking moment outside of work hours, and his drink of choice was bourbon with a splash of Coke. Nonstop on the weekends, from waking to sleeping.

Also high-functioning, and also extremely pleasant to be around. Nicest guy in the world. Loves everybody.

Last year, when he got the liver report, his doc listed off all the stuff he had to stop consuming, and Number 1 on the list was alcohol. None. Nada. Zero.

Of course, he interpreted that as, "I'll just switch to beer, because that's 'safer' than bourbon."

Wrong. Now his liver has degenerated further. He had a very frank "stop the drinking, or it'll stop you" discussion with his doc, and he's trying to take it seriously, but the last time I saw him in person, he looked miserable, both physically and spiritually.

We're hoping for the best, but "the best" means a massive lifestyle change for him, and I don't think he's really up for that, TBH. He's always been a "carpe diem" kind of guy, and facing the last 15-20 years without a drink in his hand is unfathomable to him.

I usually only eat 2 meals a day, brunch is usually leftovers from the night before or something easy to prepare in the microwave or grilled cheese, then dinner, occasionally dessert, sometimes snacky things.

Very sorry to hear. Frankly, that's what we're all worried about with my brother at the moment.

It was always drilled in us at school (Health class) that 1oz spirits = 6oz wine = 12oz beer, as far as alcohol goes. It's an approximation, but it was to drive home that, regardless of the delivery method, alcohol is alcohol is alcohol and it's not so much the drink you choose, but the amount of alcohol you're consuming.

Lee developed intestinal issues a few years ago - benign tumors. He had surgery to remove those, but now they're back, and just because they were benign before doesn't mean they are again.

Additionally, he's been found to have a tumor growing in/on his stomach, and last year, he was diagnosed with an extreme case of fatty liver disease, and now they've found tumors on his liver that they need to biopsy.

He's also someone who, for years, drank every waking moment outside of work hours, and his drink of choice was bourbon with a splash of Coke. Nonstop on the weekends, from waking to sleeping.

Also high-functioning, and also extremely pleasant to be around. Nicest guy in the world. Loves everybody.

Last year, when he got the liver report, his doc listed off all the stuff he had to stop consuming, and Number 1 on the list was alcohol. None. Nada. Zero.

Of course, he interpreted that as, "I'll just switch to beer, because that's 'safer' than bourbon."

Wrong. Now his liver has degenerated further. He had a very frank "stop the drinking, or it'll stop you" discussion with his doc, and he's trying to take it seriously, but the last time I saw him in person, he looked miserable, both physically and spiritually.

We're hoping for the best, but "the best" means a eahmassive lifestyle change for him, and I don't think he's really up for that, TBH. He's always been a "carpe diem" kind of guy, and facing the last 15-20 years without a drink in his hand is unfathomable to him.
Yeah.

One of Chris's, or Bertie as I used to call him, problems was that medically he couldn't just stop drinking. He had to be gradually weaned off the drink with drugs. Just 'stopping' would have killed him.

3.30 pm Assam tea
5 pm Soda water
6 pm Beer o'clock (Bud Light)

This is longest I've gone without a drink for a long time.
Excellent!

Everyone in my family thinks I drink a lot more than I do, especially after I put in the little bar area. Matter of fact, a little while after I did that, Lee (the ill brother I was discussing earlier) laughed and said I'd taken all the pressure off of him as "the family drinker." You have a bar, people think you drink constantly.

Monday-Wednesday, very rare that either of us drink. MrsTasty's "big medicine day" is Wednesday, so she's not supposed to have any alcohol Tues-Wed-Thu, and I'm not one to drink if she can't, because that's just cruel. :)

Occasionally, since she takes her meds Wednesday morning, she'll sneak a half-beer Thursday evening with supper (I'll have the other half).

Friday, it's either a beer each or splitting a bottle of wine with our supper.

Weekends are a little different. It's not unusual for us to have some kind of brunch drink (mimosas, screwdrivers, etc), and then a cocktail in the afternoon, and then a beer each at supper, and in winter, some kind of spiked hot nightcap.

As with several others, I don't have a regular eating schedule, even though I have a regular work schedule (8:00 am until 6 pm or so or until whenever my fingers start to cramp up). Food gets eaten when I think about it. Here's what I had yesterday:

8:00 am - coffee (black)
8:30 am - breakfast burrito
noon - Granny Smith apple
6:00 pm - leftover shrimp lo mein
8:00 pm - whiskey sour <-- this is the only consistent part of my schedule...at 8:00 every night, we have a drink!
11:00 pm - mixed nuts
midnight - mini-bagel with smoked salmon, capers, whipped cream cheese, and pickled onions

I think I had some other fruits at points throughout the day. Today's food schedule is even weirder:

8:00 am - coffee (black)
2:00 pm - Granny Smith apple

I'm starting to get hungry!

Back
Top Bottom