UK to US to UK food words discussion thread

I spent some time back in 2011 in Plymouth visiting a friend, and I bought many more British cookbooks than I should have. Luckily the plane was not fully booked and they didn't make me pay for the extra weight. This list is just what I need to decipher some of the cookbook terms (my friend has since passed). Thank you so much for taking the trouble to come up with this wonderful list.

That's a great list and has certainly cleared up a few things for me. I was delighted to see that the very first word on the list was "afters", it's a common enough term in the area where I grew up but nobody uses the expression in the city I live in now.

I spent some time back in 2011 in Plymouth visiting a friend, and I bought many more British cookbooks than I should have. Luckily the plane was not fully booked and they didn't make me pay for the extra weight. This list is just what I need to decipher some of the cookbook terms (my friend has since passed). Thank you so much for taking the trouble to come up with this wonderful list.
This region of the uk have other words for foods,a oggie is the local and cornish word for a pasty,or a meat and sweet pie eaten by miners,
and People from the region were always called Janners

one of my favourites from the uk is a egg bango, which is a runny fried egg between two pieces of bread

Muffins. When I told my colleague that we use muffins instead of burger buns she nearly fell off her chair, she was thinking of the cake muffins, didn't realise there was such a thing as bread muffins. I assume the UK are not alone with bread muffins.

one of my favourites from the uk is a egg bango, which is a runny fried egg between two pieces of bread
nope that is not one I know either. Looking it is, it is an Egg Banjo
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=egg banjo

I haven't heard that one before, personally I would add a couple of rashers of bacon :hungry:
Rashers are in the list.... and as to the egg banjo it does seem that in some cases it can include rashers of bacon as well.

Muffins. When I told my colleague that we use muffins instead of burger buns she nearly fell off her chair, she was thinking of the cake muffins, didn't realise there was such a thing as bread muffins. I assume the UK are not alone with bread muffins.
already covered... I am considering the bread roll situation, but had already mentioned it.
baps, rolls, muffins... (yep my OH knew a muffin to be what I knew as a stottie or bap! (but I was considering it!)
A bap being a bread roll, muffin, stottie, barm cake...

Those are really extensive lists and I enjoyed reading through them. Some if the UK variations of what foods are called made me smile. I really like the European name for certain foods much more than American, such as fizzy drunk for a US carbonated beverage. Biscuits and chips are the more common variations that I was aware of. Faggot for an American meatball raised my eyebrows because in America, that word is an appalling and offensive term used by some who do not like homosexuals. I wonder how that came to be out of meatball? Thanks for such a great list and I hope we can expand it to see what other cultures call and compare their foods!

Those are really extensive lists and I enjoyed reading through them. Some if the UK variations of what foods are called made me smile. I really like the European name for certain foods much more than American, such as fizzy drunk for a US carbonated beverage. Biscuits and chips are the more common variations that I was aware of. Faggot for an American meatball raised my eyebrows because in America, that word is an appalling and offensive term used by some who do not like homosexuals. I wonder how that came to be out of meatball? Thanks for such a great list and I hope we can expand it to see what other cultures call and compare their foods!
Also a term used, in parts of Ireland, for the piece of wood left over from the fire the night before used to get the fire lit. Along with other dead wood, easily lit.

Good list, because I was reading some of these posts and really wondering what some words meant since I'm from Redneck area, Pennsylvania, USA. It's hard to understand some of these 'proper' terms and not my Americanized bastardizations.

Back
Top Bottom