Unexpected aversions to a particular ingredient?

I ate tripe once, it wasn't horrible. If I had known what it was before I ate it, I wouldn't have eaten it.

We were served tripe about once a week, I used to retch and swallow it in chunks until it was gone. When I was about 10 or11 I refused to eat it anymore. My late mum used to make it with parsley sauce. Absolutely disgusting.

Russ

Oh I am so sorry. I had it in thin slivers in a broth soup. It was not the star of the dish so I didn't mind it. I kinda just ate the vegetables anyway because I didn't like the texture. They told me later what it was.

I'm on another forum that's not for cooking, but has a single off-topic thread for folks to post stuff they've cooked.

Runny eggs are so off-putting to one of the mods that if anyone includes a pic of one, it has to go in a spoiler tag with a warning. :)

I can't complain too much, because they also insist that pics of spiders go in a spoiler tag, which suits me just fine.

Like this? In my garage -- somewhat common in Aug, Sept.He is about 6-inches total legspan. (not dangerous, quite handsome male)

Tula-4.jpg

Morning Glory
A sudden food aversion may indicate a medical issue. An excess or deficiency of vitamins or minerals .
My personal, long lasting aversion is anything containing artificial sweeteners.
Baby Brother can not tolerate Cilantro. It tastes like soap

Morning Glory
A sudden food aversion may indicate a medical issue. An excess or deficiency of vitamins or minerals .
My personal, long lasting aversion is anything containing artificial sweeteners.
Baby Brother can not tolerate Cilantro. It tastes like soap

The Cilantro/Soap thing is genetic. Those of us who have a certain gene taste cilantro like soap.

I can not stand artificial sweeteners because a terrible aftertaste. Maybe that is genetic, too, because a lot of people love them.

CD

I do like stevia, but it is plant based. And I'd still rather have real sugar or honey. I detest artificial sweeteners.

I like cilantro, but not on it's own, it needs other ingredients to make it taste good for me. My oldest brother is in the soap camp. There is nothing you can do to it to make him sway from that mindset.

I do like stevia, but it is plant based. And I'd still rather have real sugar or honey. I detest artificial sweeteners.

I like cilantro, but not on it's own, it needs other ingredients to make it taste good for me. My oldest brother is in the soap camp. There is nothing you can do to it to make him sway from that mindset.

I assure you, it is not a "mindset." It is a very real thing. To those of us affected, it really tastes like soap.

Now, I can use it lightly, such as finely chopped in a salsa, where the cilantro is a minor supporting flavor. But, if I use it to garnish my tacos, where I am eating whole leaves, It tastes like soap.

CD

I don't like eating whole leaves, either. But having never eaten soap, I couldn't say that's what it tastes like. Sounds like your ma or your grandma had to wash out your mouth once or twice when you were younger 🤣

If you are of a certain generation and made the mistake of cursing witin the hearing of your Mother then you most certainly had your mouth washed with soap . Unless you liked the taste of soap you quickly learned not to swear within your Mother's hearing. IDK about your Mother but mine had "soft ears ". She could hear a bird fart. I learned not to swear at a young age.

I tasted soap today. I put on a glove to handle some hot peppers, and accidentally sliced through a bit of the finger overhang, getting a bit of pepper juice on my finger.

The reason I wear a glove is because I handle my dog's food, so I took the glove off, rinsed my finger, soaped it up, rinsed it again, then stuck it in my mouth to make sure I got it off.

"Hmmmm...tastes like cilantro!" :laugh:

Ok, I didn't say that, but it makes the story better. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom