Valentine’s 2023

DH got a Valentine's Day Gift for my Mom
IMG_2540.JPG

:ohmy: I hope she's not P.O.'d

IMG_2584.JPG

I embellished it and put a cute "Name Tag" on it, so ya know, no one at the Senior Living Community tries to steal it! :giggle:

Mom's being real stubborn about "I'm not old like these other goats around here" 💩
Get over it MA! All the cool kids have one like this!!!
I stubbornly refused to use one as well whilst I wasn't able to easily walk any distance. I haven't used the wheelchair in 18 months now, but 4½ yrs ago whilst i was getting over major (lifesaving) neck surgery I refused to use a walker to get out of the wheelchair and back onto crutches. Lol. I can see me being one of those awkward old women as well when I get that far that is :whistling:

SatNavSaysStraightOn well, we'll see how it goes tomorrow ... she really needs it! I'm surprised that she hasn't toppled over yet, she's so bent over with her back and super not steady on her pegs!
Whenever I took her with me grocery shopping she INSISTED upon pushing the grocery cart/wagon/buggy/trolley, that it helped her walk and stabilize her :eek: ... so how you figure Mom? Use the dang rollator (that's what they call it here in the States) ! I'm going to have to hold my tongue and let DH do all the talking!

SatNavSaysStraightOn well, we'll see how it goes tomorrow ... she really needs it! I'm surprised that she hasn't toppled over yet, she's so bent over with her back and super not steady on her pegs!
Whenever I took her with me grocery shopping she INSISTED upon pushing the grocery cart/wagon/buggy/trolley, that it helped her walk and stabilize her :eek: ... so how you figure Mom? Use the dang rollator (that's what they call it here in the States) ! I'm going to have to hold my tongue and let DH do all the talking!

A lot of it is to do with perceptions. Push a trolley around and you're not seen as infirm/old/disabled. Use a wheelie walker (strollator) and you're instantly seen as infirm or disabled and honestly, no one easily or readily accepts that.

And until you've been there it's hard to fully understand. It's how you perceive others' perception of you. And it's hard to accept that you need it when you do have to use one for real.

The only way to see it from her point of view will be for you to walk around a supermarket using one and using it as though you need to use it (so no letting go and walking off to the shelves behind you because it's a pain to turn around on it) etc. The way other people treat you changes.

And until you've been there it's hard to fully understand. It's how you perceive others' perception of you. And it's hard to accept that you need it when you do have to use one for real.
Yep, that’s it. MrsT needed a wheelchair for a short while, for anything longer than a short walk to the bathroom, things like that, and she wouldn’t leave the house because of it, choosing to just stay home, because she didn’t want people to see her “like that.”

Her sister came to visit, and together, we talked her into going to the shopping mall (indoor), just to get out, and she made it maybe 10 minutes before she demanded to go home, because she felt everyone was looking at her and judging/making assumptions about her.

Good points SatNavSaysStraightOn and TastyReuben, I did mention this to DH as we were driving over to Mom's yesterday and he agreed. But what he brought up was that it's more of Mom's view of herself.

When we pulled up to the front entry and started to unload everything that we had brought for her, out of no where, there's Mom getting in the car!
"Mom, I don't think I said that you should meet us here, we have things to bring to your apartment."
And then DH started his well planned speech ... he said the look on her face was of distain! But she's always got a grumpy scowl on her face anyways.
She wheeled down the pathway to the side door that is the alternate enterance to her floor and DH said he'd never seen her walk so fast before :eek:
Now, I'm not sure if that was because she had that support or she was p.o.'d and wanted to get rid of the thing.

I'm going to give her a call this afternoon just to see how she is ...

Back
Top Bottom